Side effects after 3 months?

trixie108

Cathlete
Starting Friday night, and continuing through today, I have been having bad cramps and a total loss of appetite. At first I thought it was appendicitis, but I don't have a fever, and the pains come and go. After talking to my mom, I realized that it coincided with my period, and the pain is now subsiding now that my cycle is ending (although I still have no appetite). I started a new birth control 3 months ago, and had no side effects the last two months. Is it possible that I'm just now adjusting to this new medication and my body is reacting to it, or maybe it's just coincidence that these symptoms occured during my period?

Nicole - Not sure about your particular situation, but I was on birth control for a year before my side affects from that particular birth control made their visible appearance. It took that long to get into my system. My "delayed" reaction almost put me in the hospital and did put me on bedrest for weeks and it tooks months for the doctors to figure out it was the birth control causing it. NOT saying that to scare you, just to let you know that it can take several cycles for certain side affects from birth control to show up so I wouldn't rule out the birth control as a potential cause. I would take note of how you felt the last month and see how the next cycle goes. If you start to have some of the same problems again, then you could talk to your OB about it. It could just be your body adjusting to the hormones and I know that can take several months.

Last edited:
You may want to get it checked out . . . I had the same issue with stomach pains and nausea that coincided with my cycle. Turns out my inflamed appendix was lying over one of my fallopian tubes and needed to come out. I went through a number of pelvic exams and an ultrasound (blood tests were normal) and they were convinced I had pelvic inflammatory disease. So the ob/gyn suggested a laparoscopy - while she was in there, found out it was my appendix - had to call in another doc to take it out. I guess I was a baffling case for them! Take care.

Mo

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.