Should I do 3 month or 6 month rotation?

Loralie

Cathlete
Hi guys,

I am new to STS...just started a few days ago with mesocycle 1. I did disc 1 and 2 and tomorrow morning I am going to do disc 3. I see some people are doing the 3 month rotation and some people are doing 6 months. What are you reasoning for doing each? I assume doing the 6 month means doing each week twice...right? So if I decided to do the 6 month...after doing disc 3 I would go back and do disc 1 again...right?

Any advice would be great...I am new to weights. I feel like I am such a weakling doing this. I love step and cardio and when I am done doing those workouts I feel great...when I am done with STS I feel like I am doing horrible. I am sure it will get better over time. I am not giving up.

Thanks,

Loralie

Loralie,

I've done the 3 month rotation and am almost done with the 6 month rotation, and I have to say that I can't wait for this 6 month one to be over with. It's soooooo long, and I've found myself dreading the workouts, although I really like them. This didn't happen with the 3 month rotation. For me, it's been hard to stay focused because I really miss doing full body and circuit workouts. I think my body likes those better.

I know that others have found that the 6 month rotation allows them to really get used to the workouts because you do week one and then repeat; week two and repeat....

HTH. :)

I would do the 3 month rotation. The first meso is endurance and things move quickly, so its best to get yourself organized knowing what weights and equipment to put out. I found printing out the corresponding workout sheet to really help me with that and if I have time, I'll run through the exercises shown in the Workout Manager. I felt the same way the first week of Meso 1. You start to figure out the routine and then it flows and now I'm looking forward to round two.

I just started today, and decided on the 6 month rotation. Originally, I wasn't going to do the 1RM testing, so I thought I'd want to do the 6 month rotation in order to make any weight adjustments the second time through (and you're right, you do a week and then repeat it during the 6 month rotation). I did end up doing 1RM testing, and I'm glad I did - I was able to print out the workout cards and have all my weights set out ahead and time, barbell set up, etc,. and be organized because I was told the workouts, at least in meso 1, move fast. I am still going to follow my original plan and do the 6 month rotation - I want to get the full benefit of it, I have a good bit of weight to lose, and I don't think I'll get bored. If you're new to weights, you might want to consider the 6 month rotation - Cathe says in her guidebook that she originally intended STS to be a 6 month rotation and she also recommends going that route if you're new to weight lifting. It seems like there are a few of us who just started - I'd love to have a daily check-in thread if you're interested. Good luck!

Hi Beth,

Good luck with starting STS. I did disc 1, 2 and 3 of Mesocycle 1 and yesterday was my day off. I am so sore!!! LOL. Today I will do a cardio workout and tomorrow will be disc 4. I decided to stick with the 3 month rotation. I am not a big fan of weights and I am afraid I will get bored and give up. I had lost 70 pounds on Weight Watchers a couple of years ago and I kept most of it off but over the last 10 months I gained back about 30 pounds. I have taken off 15 of those pounds and have about 15 more to go. It is amazing how slow the weight comes off and how fast the weight will come back if you are not watching what you eat all the time.

I am not doing weight watchers this time around...I bought a bodybugg and I think it is amazing . On weight watchers I lost 48 pounds the first year...that's a little less than 1 pound a week. Then it took me almost another year to lose the last 22 pounds! With the bodybugg...I am losing 2 pounds every week, except one week when I had my period. I am working out 6 days a week but I also worked out a lot with weight watchers. I am not knocking weight watchers...I think it is a great program but if you want something that is going to make you see results faster, get a bodybugg. It's a little expensive but I think it is worth it.

Good luck with the 6 month rotation and I would love to check in with you on how you are doing. :)

Loralie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.