Shoe Question

Rosarn

Hello there Cathe, or anyone with an answer,

I'm just wondering if it is ok to wear running shoes while doing these workouts( aerobics & weight lifting). I run three miles about three times a week, and I do Cathe's viideo's the rest of the time. Sometimes right after a run I'll do one of the weights tapes( ME,PUB).
Will I get enough support(and latteral support)from the running shoes for all the jumping and side to side moves and things like squats.

Sorry for being so wordy, I'm kind of new at these high intensity workouts and about worrying about diffrent kinds of shoes. I just want to get the best support and prevent any injuries.

Thanks so much for any help!:7

Hi...not Cathe...but I run also. I prefer to use differnt shoes for her wokrouts. I go to our local Big 5 and get either Reeboks or whatever feels good when I try them on. You would probably get good support from the running shoes but I like to just use mine for running....:)...Carole

HI, I find that running shoes bend easier in the forefoot for my step aerobics. I am not a runner, but I like to use running shoes for step. I too wondered if that was OK, but as I have been doing it for over 20 years I would think so. I also like to use Ryka aerobics shoes. Karen

Hi Rosarn! Technically speaking, running shoes are designed to protect the foot for a running stride which is a heel, ball, toe, landing. Step or cross trainers are "usually" designed to protect the foot in a toe, ball, heel (the opposite of running) landing which is the way your foot strikes the floor when stepping down off the step or landing from jump shots etc.

However, over the years, shoe designs are changing almost faster than the trends and I'm sometimes finding my older shoes providing better protection for me then some $100 plus sneaks (supposedly loaded with shoe technology).

So in the end, I feel most comfortable saying if YOU feel the shoe fits great and you are not experiencing any odd aches, blisters, etc. when working out in a particular shoe, regardless what it was designed for, then you may want to consider using it.

There was a time when I would NEVER use a running shoe for step, but now I'm not completely opposed to the concept if the shoe does the job.

Hope this helps!

I think good running shoes have plenty of support and cushion for impact. They are designed to stabilize the foot for linear motion though with the broad base and doing lots of turning moves in them puts more strain on the knees. I think weights and aerobics with no turns would be fine in running shoes.

On a side note... I just went shopping for aerobic shoes and found that the stores in my area had very limited selections. Tons of runners and cross trainers, but no plain aerobics shoes. I was looking for high-top shoes to support a weak ankle. I tried on Rykas for size and then shopped online to find what I wanted. The shoe I wanted was Ryka Rhythm... top of the line studio shoes with high tops. They were $84.95 everywhere but I found them here: http://www.onlineshoes.com/synopsispage.asp?type=brand&brandid=51&brandcatid=406&gen=w for $64.98
and FREE SHIPPING. Oh I love it when that happens :7

I'm very picky about my shoes. I have nice running shoes that I only use for running and these Ryka's will never see the ground outside.

Thanks so much for the info! Sometimes it's hard to muddle through all the info that's out there and decide what's right. If anyone has anothre sec, I was wondering...is it OK to put your sneakers in the washer and dryer? (I hope so cause I have been:7 ) and how long does a pair of sneakers usually last if you work out 5-6 days a week?
Thanks again to everyone for their time!:D

Happy workouts!
Rosa

Hi, Rosa. You shouldn't simply because they'll break down more quickly, especially from the dryer. Impact aerobics and step will cause more wear and tear than lifting so I look at total impact days when determining when to buy new ones. I change mine out at about every six months unless I have two pairs to alternate. That does save wear and tear but I tend to do that more with runners. Usually my feet and knees let me know when they are too worn. Also when the shoes start showing signs of wear and tear I start shopping for new ones. I only wear workout shoes for working out since running around in them also breaks them down. Check out http://www.SierraTradingPost.com. They carry the Reebok Vector, my current favorite, for $24.99. Shoes can make or break your workout. I err on the side of caution when it comes to replacing them. You can get killer deals online and at Big 5. Shoes are one of the most important pieces of workout gear you can have.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

I have put mine in the washer before (after taking out the liner) but I never put them in the dryer. I open them up and put them in front of my frig and let the air from the fan dry them. They dry in a few hours.
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.