Sharing My Heart and Pictures

BelovedHeather

Cathlete
I have been a member here for over a year. I am so thankful for the friendships that have developed through the check-ins. I was asked earlier this year to post a picture so my forum friends could put a face with my name, but I was not ready. I locked my PictureTrail when I joined Cathe’s forums and read all the negative comments about Cedie and others. Cedie is not fat at all in my opinion. She is beautiful. On the other hand, I am not just a little overweight. I am obese.

After reading the judgmental comments about obese people, I feel compelled to share my story. I hope I do not regret this. Not everyone who reads these forums looks like Cathe, but I do not expect you to understand what it feels like if you have never personally battled obesity and lived as a fat woman in a society that hates you based on nothing more than your outward appearance.

I have battled emotional eating and weight my entire life. My father abandoned me when I was a baby, and I started eating for comfort as soon as I was old enough to walk to the refrigerator. I was already developing emotional eating issues in preschool. I was a chubby child. Mom married a man who hated fat people, so I definitely heard about it. I was also raised in a Southern home. Everything was fried or cooked in bacon grease. Think Paula Deen! I was very sedentary too. I have never been athletic at all, but I loved to dance. Instead of fixing more nutritious meals and encouraging me to participate in more recreational activity, I was put on my first diet when I was 9 years old. It was low calorie and must have been low carb because I remember taking a hot dog to school in a thermos. I felt deprived and different from all my friends who enjoyed chips and dessert with lunch. I started stealing money from my mother's purse to buy ice cream and junk. That first diet started me on the roller coaster of starving and the binge eating that always resulted. In my experience, every period of deprivation is followed by an equally extreme binge.

Fast forward to high school. I had always wanted a cat, and my mother finally got a kitten for me. Brandy was hit by a car and killed during my sophomore year in high school. Later that year, my best friend was raped and murdered when we were both 15 years old. I was devastated. Not only were these my very first experiences with death, but both of them represented unconditional love to me. Brandy and Lisa did not care what I looked like. They loved me for my heart.

I lost interest in food and settled into a size 8 at 108 pounds. (A size 8 is my ideal size and my ultimate goal by the way. I am only 5'3" but have curvy hips. I would likely look good as small as a size 6, but I do not think it would be realistic for me to maintain.) The summer before my senior year in high school, I was at an amusement park with my family eating an ice cream cone when a family member told me that I was too fat to be eating that and warned me that I would be alone for the rest of my life if I did not look the way other girls look. I was given teen magazines with pictures of what size and body type was acceptable and worthy of being loved. I weighed 108 pounds. That is on the low end of the healthy weight range for my height. I was not model thin, but I was not fat by any stretch of the imagination. That moment was my breaking point. I had never dreamed of money or fame or material possessions. All I have ever wanted is to be loved. I was willing to die for it. I made up my mind that if being thin was what it took to be loved then I would lose weight at any cost. I did not eat for several weeks and quickly dropped down to 94 pounds. I weighed 88 pounds by the time I graduated. My body fat was so low that my cycle stopped, and I was having a lot of medical problems. Even then, the smallest I wore was a size 5 because of my hips. My waist was tiny, my legs had no meat on them, and I looked emaciated. Not thin like a model, but extremely thin like a starving child in a third world country. My grandmother told me that she had nightmares after seeing my legs. There are no size 0 jeans in my future. That is just not in my genetic makeup.

I went from starving myself to binge eating and purging with as many as 45 laxatives a day in addition to diuretics. Yes, I was loved when I was thin. It was superficial at best and not the unconditional love I desperately desired. I rebelled and returned to comfort eating. I binged my way up to 260 pounds and was stuffing myself into a women's size 28 at my top weight.

In desperation, I starved off 111 pounds in my late 20s with no exercise. I did not do it the right way, and every pound I lost found me again. I topped out at 260 pounds for the second time. Then I fasted and exercised like crazy and dropped 50 pounds in 6 weeks. Yes, 6 weeks. I topped out at 260 pounds for the third and last time. I started my fitness journey on July 4, 2003, at 260 pounds in women's size 28 shorts. I wrote a letter to the Lord surrendering food and my weight to Him, tied it to balloons, and released it. Even though I have done some emotional eating, I have been binge free since that day by the grace of God. No more extreme diets for me. No matter how many years it takes to reach my goal, I want to do it in a way that blesses my body this time.

When I dropped that 111 pounds and got down to 149 pounds in my late 20s, I was devastated to realize how much better people treated me. I did not want to be loved just because I suddenly measured up to society's expectations. I wanted to be loved unconditionally. It may be too much to expect, but it is not to much to ask. I believe this is one of the reasons why I tend to sabotage myself when I get comfortably below 200 pounds. It upsets me when people start treating me with more respect just because I am getting smaller.

This has been a longer and more challenging journey than I anticipated. I was a hardcore binge eater. During my darkest hour, I ate over 20,000 calories in a 24-hour period. I drank 18-24 cans of Dr. Pepper a day. I chewed 100 pieces of bubble gum a day. I always thought the weight would just fall off if I ever got my eating under control. I was so wrong. I have not binged since July 2003. I eat clean most of the time (but still battle emotional eating occasionally). I exercise consistently. And I am fighting just to maintain a larger size. The first 30 pounds was relatively easy to shed and the next 10 was doable and maintainable, but I have been gaining and losing the same 20-40 pounds for 3 years. It is very frustrating and not for a lack of trying. No, I do not have any medical issues other than food allergies. Yes, I am fat. I am very aware of it and working to change that reality. In the unlikely event that I forgot, someone is always more than willing to rise up and remind me.

For most of my life, I have been judged for the way I look. I have had a lot of abusive and hateful and deeply hurtful things said to me about my size. When I started my fitness journey on July 4, 2003, I dropped from a size 28 to a size 22 in 6 months with exercise and good nutrition. I was so excited because I was finally doing this the right way after years of eating disorders, compulsive dieting, and binge eating. Then I went to my baby brother’s wedding and was asked to sit in the back of the church instead of up front with the rest of the family (due to my size). Can you even imagine what it feels like when your own family is ashamed to be seen in public with you? I have been told by a member of my family that I am not pretty enough to live in Texas and that I should move to the Midwest where all the corn-fed women live. I have been told by a spiritual leader that I do not love God and that I am going to hell. I have been told by a career missionary that I have no reason to smile because I look like a roped pig and ought to be ashamed of myself and that I am abusing my boss because he deserves to have a pretty and thin legal assistant. I have been asked why I bother working out because I do not look like someone who exercises. That is just the tip of the iceberg. Can you imagine what it feels like to have people assume that you are lazy, stupid, and unprofessional based on your size?

I want to be fit and free. I am not changing for anyone else, but comments like that by people I love are still daggers to my heart even though I should not care what other people think of me. I have been on the receiving end of so many negative and discouraging comments through the years, and this is still a tender area for me. I am very sensitive. I need to get over this, and I am working on it. I am so glad God looks at my heart, not my outward appearance. I have always dreamed of shedding all this excess fat and starting over in a new place. I have always wanted to experience what it would be like for people to see through these mounds of fat and get to know the Heather I know and love. I want people to see my heart and love me for who I am and not the way I look or the size of my butt. Through these forums, I get to experience a taste of this. People who read my messages do not know what I look like. You know my heart through the words I write, and my words are far more beautiful than my body. I love the fact that I can be heard and not seen. That is the glory of the internet for me.

I am giving up all that for the Road Trip. My desire to meet Cathe and my check-in friends is greater than my fear of comments people may make about me. Life is short. I have dreamed of attending a Cathe Road Trip since the last one. I was hoping to be at my goal weight by now, but I decided not to let that stop me. I am not going to wait until I reach some magical number on the scale to start living and loving life. I am stepping way outside my comfort zone with this Road Trip.

In the beginning of this amazing journey, I walked by faith and was delivered from 80 pounds in 9 months. I had a childlike faith, and my plan was simple. I ate for the glory of God and exercised as an act of worship. I simply ate less and moved more. My meals and snacks were moderately clean and balanced. When I wanted something like pizza, I enjoyed it but fixed it with a whole wheat pita and organic pasta sauce. My workouts were fun and filled with cardio. I enjoyed eating what I loved when I was hungry but chose brands that did not contain hydrogenated oil or corn syrup. I chose fun workouts that were a joy and a delight to experience. Then I joined fitness forums, started reading too much for my own good, got overwhelmed with all the contradictory advice presented, started riding the roller coaster with my weight, and ultimately regained 40 of those pounds. It is time for me to return to the sweet simplicity of what I know works for me and stop searching for something better.

I met a Road Tripper this morning! I have been checking in with Jean (dreamyjeanie) for over a year, and it was such a delight to spend time with her this morning. She asked if we could meet for lunch, and I suggested a trip to the zoo instead. We walked over 2 miles this morning and had a great time. I am feeling much better about the Road Trip after meeting Jean. I added a picture of us to my PictureTrail. Since I signed up for the Road Trip, I have been battling the temptation to get this weight off at any cost, but I am not willing to go there. I want to do this the right way this time. I decided to share my picture now and get that out of the way so I can look forward to the Road Trip without feeling anxious about being seen. Any progress I make will look better in comparison. No more pressure. I started over yesterday morning and returned to what worked for me in the beginning. I am still fat, but I am free! Hopefully, I will not be hauling a size 22 butt to Jersey in August.

My dream is that we as women can love and support each other for who we are and not the way we look. There is enough of that attitude in the world. Let's rise above it!

Blessings,
Heather B.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?&p=999&uid=3778596&gid=7800883&&imgid=256958122&offset=0

Heather, thank you for sharing your words and your picture with us. Both are beautiful and I will be honored to meet you in August.

ETA I had to go back and look at your picture again to see what shoes you were wearing!

<Not everyone who reads these forums looks like Cathe, but I do not expect you to understand what it feels like if you have never personally battled obesity and lived as a fat woman in a society that hates you based on nothing more than your outward appearance.>

You worded this so well. I've wanted to post something along these lines.

Thank you for sharing your story, and have fun on the road trip!

PS - I read your May Cathe calendar post but didn't post because my calendar page for May is blank! Yikes! I got back on the wagon last week. *We* can do this!

WOW! All I can say is that I am very honored to 'know' you, Heather and I can not wait until the RT to give you a Texas sized hug from a Midwest, corn-fed girl!!!

Heather....you are truly a special angel. Thank you so much for pouring out your heart in this personal journey. You never cease to amaze me with what you have accomplished. How cool you got to meet a Road Tripper!! I love the pic of you 2!! I will say that I am so looking forward to meeting you in August at the Road Trip and maybe even a day early!!...:)

Aw, Heather, what a sweetie you are :)! I'm almost at a loss for words, but I'll try...

I think Cathe will be SO grateful to have met you by the end of the RT!
The saying goes 'tough times don't last but tough people do' and I think you're the absolute personification of a steel magnolia!

There are SO MANY of us here who can relate to various parts of your brave story, just maybe some of us ain't as brave as you are to disclose (hint, hint, yours truly ;-))

I have been told by a member of
>my family that I am not pretty enough to live in Texas and
>that I should move to the Midwest where all the corn-fed women
>live.

Well, that person can just go stick it! Hey, in my culture 'curvy' girls are considered HEALTHY AND WHOLESOME. Years ago when I took off a few pounds (and it was really JUST A FEW - I was still over the recommended BMI for my height) friends/relatives started telling me I looked haggard and ill!!

I
>was hoping to be at my goal weight by now, but I decided not
>to let that stop me. I am not going to wait until I reach
>some magical number on the scale to start living and loving
>life. I am stepping way outside my comfort zone with this
>Road Trip.
>

At the risk of sounding too cheesy, I think this is just the type of kick-a$$ attitude that will help you reach your goals. Enjoy the RT, and say hi to Cathe for me. Please know that tonight, there'll be an extra prayer going up just for you and for your health, hopes and wishes.

ENORMOUS HUGS TO YOU, HEATHER BELOVED :) :)

from Shelby

Heather,
You are beautiful! I am inspired by your perserverance and persistance! It sounds like you've found the right health road for you to travel and I applaud you for finding balance in what works for you. You've endured a lot - I'm amazed at how cruel people can be but touched by your story.

I am not one that will get to meet you (didn't make the RT cut! :)) but I am cheering you on! Good luck on your journey and have a great time on the RT! :) :)

Jo

Heather....I agree with everybody above about how beautiful and inspirational you are...AS A PERSON...regardless of weight.

NOW...onto my question....YOU KNOW JEAN!!!! Isn't she great???? I first met her online on another website and then we met in person at the Road Trip in '05 and then she flew to Florida to support me during my first-ever marathon! SHE'S GREAT! Talk about the motto: "SURROUND YOURSELF WITH POSITIVE PEOPLE!"

Gayle

ETA! OH! Also, who are you rooming with for the Road Trip???

Heather - thank you for sharing!

When I saw your smiling pictures all I could hear was Christina Aguilera's song "Beautiful" yes you are inside and out.

It takes a lot of gusto to write what you have written and to share your image with us.

Bless you :7

Hi Heather,

Yours in one of the most hearfelt, sincere and intelligent posts I have seen on the internet. And you are definitley a very brave woman; I know how hard it must have been to post the pictures after all the abuse you have taken because I was once obese too. You are braver than I. Yes, you are large, but you have a gorgeous face and a sparkle that shines through in the picture. I can't imagine anyone every saying you're not pretty.

I admire your perseverance. You deserve to have a wonderful time on the roadtrip.

Keep on doing it the right and healthy way! And enjoy the process!

Hi Heather,

Yours in one of the most hearfelt, sincere and intelligent posts I have seen on the internet. And you are definitley a very brave woman; I know how hard it must have been to post the pictures after all the abuse you have taken because I was once obese too. You are braver than I. Yes, you are large, but you have a gorgeous face and a sparkle that shines through in the picture. I can't imagine anyone every saying you're not pretty.

I admire your perseverance. You deserve to have a wonderful time on the roadtrip.

Keep on doing it the right and healthy way! And enjoy the process!

Heather,
I am grinning ear to ear right now. You have just made my day with that picture of you and your fellow catheite. You are TRULY an angel and I can't WAIT to meet you at the roadtrip this year. I already feel like we are friends. Thank you SO much for always taking us on your journey of your life. I wish I always had the words that you do. You are an inspiration my friend:)

Susan

Heather...

I am so excited to meet you in August. We already know each other from the RT check in and I think you are amazing!! What you may not know is that I have been where you are and I DO understand everything you said!! If you saw that thread ( Do People Really Eat This Way) I also posted and poured out my heart about some things that you can probably relate to regarding the tone of that thread. So many people were so positive and supportive and I was just floored. Yes, some people have a bad outlook on people who battle their weight. They might not get it. But yesterday's thread proved to me that either people can change their views once presented with a different point of view or that many people are extremely compassionate and caring. If you have not yet read it, go back and read it now.

Oh, and BTW, your picture exudes beauty and I mean not only are you bueatiful on the outside, but your smile exudes a warmth and friendliness that comes right through. I will be the first on line to give you a huge NY style hug in August!! I am here to support you all the way!

heather,
we don't know each other as i'm very new to regularly posting here, but i have been reading your posts for awhile now. thank you so much for sharing your story with me, there were many times while reading it that tears sprang up into my eyes.

i think you and your words are amazing, and it's a pleasure to share this forum with you.

Heather ~

You rock!!!! I have so much faith in you. I can't wait to meet you in person.

MWAH!!!!:* :*

Heather, I can't thank you enough for sharing your story. I am sure it was a very difficult thing to do. But you are inspiring! And yes, you absolutely do have a beautiful heart. You are a lovely woman. I am so excited for you about the Road Trip! :7 :7

Thank you Heather for having the courage to share your story! You are truly and amazing and beautiful woman.

Heather -

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story AND pictures! You are truly a beautiful person. I'm so sorry I won't be meeting you in August since I'm not going on the roadtrip this time (I went in '05) but I have a sneaking suspicion you'll have a GREAT time meeting all your forum friends and Cathe herself.:7

We are not all a size 0 on this forum and I was nervous to go on the last roadtrip, too, but I'm so glad I forced myself to go. It was an experience I'll always remember. I battle emotional eating myself and right now am going through a bad time. Your story is inspiring to me and helps me with my own struggles.

I wish you all the best.

Sue

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.