Several Questions

Sorry for the lame title of this thread. I have many random, unrelated questions about STS.

I just started on Sunday and I'm still sore from the chest and shoulder disc #1. On Monday, I did a kickboxing workout, which prob. wasn't the best choice of cardio since my shoulders are so sore. I can't really do more than one step workout every couple of weeks. My knee just doesn't like them, but doesn't seem to mind kickboxing. So, I have to make my cardio workouts all kickboxing.

Here's my week one:
Sunday: Disc #1- chest, shoulders, and biceps + abs
Monday: Cardio-Kickboxing
Tuesday: Dics #3- legs + abs
Wednesday: OFF
Thursday: Cardio-Kickboxing
Friday: Disc #2- back and triceps + abs
Saturday: additional leg workout (either L&G or B&G)- def. adding in some floorwork

So, my questions are:
* should I switch the back and triceps workout with the chest, shoulders, and bicep one to give my shoulders a break since I do kickboxing the very next day?

* I plan on using medium weights on the leg workouts. I am not looking to gain size, but a more cut look. Plus, my knee doesn't like really heavy weigths. Keeping this in mind- do I start next week with upping the weights a bit or keeping with what I used this week for the leg workout? My legs do respond very well to two leg workouts per week. I'm thin (107) so I don't really need three days of an hour or cardio.

* How does my weekly schedule look?

* How does one work up to ad/core work? I could hardly get throught the "weights and plates" ab circuit today. I ended up skipping the "plates" section. I can't really do core work- planks, etc. I just have no strength, which is so strange since I have a 6 pack. That proves that just seeing the muscle and does mean that one has any strength!

Thanks! :)

#1 How were you after doing Disc 1 and Kickboxing on consecutive days? If it didn't bother you, then you probably don't have to worry about it. If it DID bother you, switching up your STS days would work. Adding in another form of cardio ~ something other than step ~ would help too.

#2 I would experiment with upping the weights and see what happens. If it bothers you, then you know to lower the weight. If not, maybe gradually adding weight to your leg workouts will help your knee in the long run. :)

#3 Regarding your schedule, lucky you that you don't need more cardio! :eek: I like my cardio, but honestly...I wouldn't be heartbroken if I woke up all kinds of lean and didn't need 3-5 days anymore.

#4 That's cool you have a six pack! I think, like with anything, you just keep at it. Eventually the strength will come.

Lori- thanks for your response. I was starting to think that I was hated on the forum, although I don't post too much considering the years I've been a member!

I'm still SUPER sore from the chest, shoulder, and bicep workout. I'm not sure if I will be able to complete the back and tricep workout on Friday. Any suggestions, given the rest of my week breakdown for workouts? I could skip it and start all over again, fresh, next week, like I had never started STS. Then I could go a bit easier on the weights.

I'm actually glad that I don't have to do much cardio because I HATE it so much. I loved to run and that was really the only form of cardio I enjoyed. After hurting my knee, I can't even jog now without looking at a month or two of no working out to recoup.

Thanks again for your advice. :)

Hi there. I'm so jealous of you for not needing cardio. Have you always been this way or is it a result of a super clean diet? Anyways, to answer your question, i think i would switch the order to what you suggested and work my shoulders after my kickbox workout. I know for me that my shoulders get quit a bit of work during kickboxing which means that if they aren't well rested due to a hard shoulder workout then i'm not going to get the most out of my shoulder work. Second, i think that if you are still super sore on friday and don't think you will do well with the back and triceps workout, then why not switch that with your leg workout which will give you one more day of rest. Though i find that when i'm super sore that once i warm-up and start exercising those sore muscle groups, they become less sore. Hope this helps some

I wouldn't say that I have a super clean diet. I go through stages, but I do try to eat clean most of the time. I find that I get way too focused on counting calories, etc. I had to make myself stop logging into FitDay for that reason. It became an obsession.

As far as cardio goes, I've always been somewhat active. I can def. tell that now that I'm in my late 30's that my metabolism has slowed down some. But both of my parents and brother are thin, so I have genetics on my side. Can't take credit for that! I'm more into fitness to stay fit-combat these injuries or problems I keep getting as I get older, and for vanity reasons! But it's a very good thing that I don't have to do much cardio, because I just wouldn't. I just don't like it! A lot of cardio makes my upper body too skinny, and if anything I would need to slim down my butt, not my arms and waist. Kinda brutal how the body works!

I think I'm going to see how my shoulder feels tomorrow. If it still hurts, then I might just start over fresh next week- rearrange my schedule to put the back and triceps workout first, cardio, legs, off, cardio. chest/shoulders/biceps, and legs. That should help with the shoulder issues. The last thing I need is another injury!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.