Self tanners revisited,what worked for you?

sunsetbeach

Cathlete
I know that there was discussion on these boards re:self tanners back at the beginning of the summer. Now that we have all had time to try them, what are your favorites? I really liked Estee Lauder Go Bronze, beautiful, even color, but it is way too expensive. Neutrogena foam was OK, nice color but I'd rather use a cream formulation since I live in dry Colorado. I also tried the expensive Au Courant which gave a very nice color although the application was not very emollient. I would not buy again. I'd have to say that for me the winner is Banana Boat Deep Dark Blend Self Adjusting Color in a tube. It is reasonably priced, goes on with a bronzer for even application, gives nice, realistic color and smells good.

You know, does the Banana Boat self tanner come off or get streaky when you sweat during your workout? I've used the Ban de Soleil dark with good results in the past, but when I was working out the other day I took a paper towel to wipe off the sweat on my legs and the color came with it!

I stopped using the self tanner because I didn't want to look all streaky.

Susan G.

I always do the self tanning after my workout because I think the tanners, no matter what the brand, need a good 8 hours of no sweat and no contact with water. I made the mistake of going in the pool about 4 hours after application and what an embarassing mess. They are definitely not perfect. If you do the self tanning before bedtime I've found that a shower in the AM is not a problem....

I like Clinique's self-tan body tanning lotion. It's just as good as Estee, but half the price. I tried Clarins which is expensive also, but brought it back. It had that orangy color. I like the Clinique products because of the price AND the quality.

A gal at church used banana boat, and she looks fabulous. I need to get some because I'm pasty white.

I also have a friend who uses the Banana Boat dark formula. I thought she looked a tad bit orange, but that was only after I took a good look and thought about it. She thinks it is the best. Jeanne

I have used many self-tanners and had O.k results from them. The only one I have found to be superior to all the others IMO, is SUN Ultra Dark. It is great for sensitive skin and I struggle with adult acne so this is also dermatologist recommended for me. It gives the best NATURAL looking tan and it dries rather quickly. The smell is also pleasant which is a plus! If you go to www.lookingtan.com you can order for the best price on this product! I got nearly double the amount from this company for much less than the salon prices. ;)

I have used the Bain de Soleil brand with good results. It is inexpensive and is tinted so you can see where you have put it and haven't. My friends asked if I'd been to the tanning booth. I'm a redhead and very fair skinned normally.

I have used the Bain de Soleil brand with good results. It is inexpensive and is tinted so you can see where you have put it and haven't. My friends asked if I'd been to the tanning booth. I'm a redhead and very fair skinned normally.

A ?

I used some of the Banana Boat Sunless Tanning Mousse the beginning of the Summer. All of a sudden I have blotches and light and dark places particularly on my arms. I don't notice the uneveness on my legs. I am assuming it is where the tanner has worn off in spots??? I thought about using more to TRY to even my skintone out, but I'm afraid I'll make a bad situation worse. It's not pretty! :-( Any suggestions? TIA!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: A ?

If you've had these spots since the beginning of the summer and have not used the tanner recently, I doubt it has to do with the tanner. The tanner will fade and disapear as your skin naturally exfoliates. About 15 years ago I had a skin thing similar to what you describe and it was tinea versicola, (Spelling?)I can't remember the treatment, but it eventually went away. If you have not self tanned for a month and still have the discoloration, I'd see a dermatologist. :)

For the past 2 summers I've been using the Neutrogena Foam and have liked it a lot,especially since it dries so fast! :D
I had tried JanTanna before and hated it. I think I will take your advice and try Banana Boat some time!

I use banana boat medium blend self adjusting tanner. It gives good color, but will stain your clothes (comes out in the wash) and doesn't smell great, so I apply before bed.
The reason it comes off in streaks is probably because you aren't exfoliating enough.
www.sunless.com has great tips on using sunless tanners.
Cari

Hi All,
This is an interesting message, I am a qualified beauty therapist and I am pleased to see that self tan use is very much out there. In the UK, it is recommended that you should have no more than 10 sunbed sessions a year, in reality, one should not use sunbeds at all ! Think of the wrinkles !
I use self tan all the time, my favourites being Decleor (which gives a lovely shimmer to the skin), Elemis (good for the Winter, as it gives more of a glow). Elemis is a UK product range and might be hard to find outside of the UK. Decleor is available worldwide.
Unfortunately, sweating does make self tan run, it certainly runs into my sports bra (and fortunately comes out in the wash), so I would recommend you do more or less a daily top up of self tan.
Keep up the self tanning !!!!!!!!

Anna

RE: A ?

Hi Debbie,
It sounds to me like your self tan has been fading - it does fade quicker in certain spots on the body, for example in the elbow creases, knee creases, around the bust, etc.
The best way to self tan is to:

1. Exfoliate the body using a body scrub, paying particular attention to dry areas, such as elbows, knee caps, ankles, feet, etc.
2. Use a light body lotion and moisturise all over, paying particular attention to to the dryer areas as mentioned above.
3. Apply the self tan using the palm of your hand, keeping fingers together (this ensures a streak free finish), so that there are no gaps, and massage the self tan product into the larger areas, in fact over work it in, applying what is left on the hands, to the dryer areas like knees, feet, etc, using a gentle downward smooth movement. Don't massage over knees etc as you will end up with darker patches. Self tan likes to stick in dryer skin, you also won't need any extra product for these areas too.
4. Self tan will start to fade within 3-4 days, so on average you will probably need to top up every 3-4 days, though each time for an even application, body scrub and body lotion.
5. Don't forget to wash palms of hands well afterwards, especially in between fingers where it can collect.
6. Latex gloves can be worn to apply self tan but I think using your hands is better because you can tell how well the cream has been massaged in.

Hope this was of some use !

Anna

I love Neutrogena instant bronze self tanning foam. It goes on tinted and when it washed off the real dark color goes and you have a nice golden tan. It is the only one I have tried that is real looking since I have dark hair and eyes but really fair skin. Just my 2 cents. And you can barely find it cuz I beleive it is so popular.

every three days!!! Wow, what a maintenance thing!!!

I have never tried a self-tanner. Acually, I used to work in a tanning salon for a few years and got my share of fake and bake. Loved it but i don't do it anymore. Stopped running outside in the summer to save my skin (in Phoenix). What kind do you guys suggest for a more olive-looking complexion?? meaing, I am not pasty white, but not super dark either. I am so afraid if I try it I will mess it all up and be a streaky mess!!!

I just put on some banana boat yesterday ( see the start of this discussion) and it works great. I don't have a pasty white complexion either. My legs and arms look very natural. I haven't tried it on my face. For my face I've used Neutrogena for face which works well. Or I'll just dust some Bobbi Brown powder bronzer in medium on my face and it does the trick. I tried applying lotion before application of the self tanner, but I've found that lotion dilutes the color too much. I've also tried avoiding knees and ankles but that just comes out looking strange. I apply it on knees and ankles and then go over the areas where too much can accumulate with a tissue. Hope this helps!

Naut,

New to self tanners. I am an old pro. I have tried every single brand out there, most of them being the more expensive ones.
The one that I have found that is the best by far, believe it or not, is Neutrogena Instant Bronze in Deep for the body. It goes on tinted, dries quickly, nice natural unorange color, and is able to be used on the face( i actually prefer the body tanner to Neutrogena's instant bronze for the face). The face one is too runny and doesnt last as long.

I do have one question regarding self tanners though. When I shave my legs (which is daily), the color seems locked in to the pores of my legs, which gives a spotted look to my legs overall!
Even with exfoliation, the problem still persists. Any suggestions????

GN

Naut,

New to self tanners. I am an old pro. I have tried every single brand out there, most of them being the more expensive ones.
The one that I have found that is the best by far, believe it or not, is Neutrogena Instant Bronze in Deep for the body. It goes on tinted, dries quickly, nice natural unorange color, and is able to be used on the face( i actually prefer the body tanner to Neutrogena's instant bronze for the face). The face one is too runny and doesnt last as long.

I do have one question regarding self tanners though. When I shave my legs (which is daily), the color seems locked in to the pores of my legs, which gives a spotted look to my legs overall!
Even with exfoliation, the problem still persists. Any suggestions????

GN

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.