seated good mornings

That's almost exactly how I do them fit44, except I scoot to the edge of the bench and at the end where she is even with her bench, I drop down below the edge, pause for a conscious second to engage the lower back, and roll up as she does.

Another option to start more slowly without the weight is to use banded good mornings while standing. Here:
DeFrancosTraining.com - Band Goodmornings - YouTube

Whatever we choose on these, I think the key is to go slow and really feel the muscle connection. I love how Cathe talks about that connection in her 100-rep challenge overview.

ETA: I should say in the banded video I don't like how she holds her head and neck. I would let the head and neck stay in line with the back, and even at the bottom of the move, drop the head down a bit - if that makes sense.

Last edited:
YYYEEESSS!!! OK - a few tidbits.
1. My heavy leg day is Friday.
2. Every leg day involves SOME kind of squat and SOME kind of lunge.
3. I told you all after last week's leg day that I thought these moves were helping. I got my olympic squats heavier and with better form than ever before.
4. I have a seminar out of town this week, so trainerwoman let me go in today for leg day. Today's squat was the kind we mostly see in Cathe's videos, which for me - as I'd mentioned before - has me rolling more onto the ball of the foot and the toes when I start to come up vs. keeping the weight back in my heels and engaging the back chain. I also don't go as deep on these.
5. Blah-blah-blah -----> I DID IT! I hit a 200# squat.

Carry on.

That is so awesome Lorrie!

I've been squatting low for the first time in my life. OMG, I cannot believe the muscles involved. I have never had butt and ham DOMS like this. :eek::eek:
I started out practicing the form with just a barbell and my tall step for a box. I've been slowly increasing the weights. I can't believe all the muscles involved once I get to the bottom and power up.:eek: It's a game changer for real!

Sorry for the delay fit44 - I've been at a winter conference for politicians and just got back. I KNOW - isn't it incredible what real, olympic squats engage and how different the mechanics are?! There's a reason it is called the king of all exercises - AND it engages something like 263 muscles! Good for you! Nicely done my dear.:)

That is so awesome Lorrie!

I've been squatting low for the first time in my life. OMG, I cannot believe the muscles involved. I have never had butt and ham DOMS like this. :eek::eek:
I started out practicing the form with just a barbell and my tall step for a box. I've been slowly increasing the weights. I can't believe all the muscles involved once I get to the bottom and power up.:eek: It's a game changer for real!

How are you using the tall step? I've been squatting low the last few months and like you are LOVING it - amazing how it really engages the glutes! I can tell when I start to get tired because I revert back to "normal" squats to take the work out of the back side and bring it more to the front. Even just doing real prisoner squats and going down LOW - what a difference!

I've been using the step as a guide to get my butt down.:p I've been doing traditional squats for so long, the feeling is strange.
Been taking tips from this guy-
Part 1:EliteFTS.com So You Think You Can Squat Part 1 - YouTube

Part 2:EliteFTS.com So You Think You Can Squat Part 2 - YouTube

Part 3:EliteFTS.com So You Think You Can Squat Part 3 - YouTube

Part 4:So You Think You Can Squat Part 4 - YouTube

Part 5:So You Think You Can Squat Part 5 - YouTube

Also, if you can bear to watch this long, dark video, this guy gives some great squat pointers as well.
The Video FitCast- Episode 6 - YouTube!

YYYEEESSS!!! OK - a few tidbits.
1. My heavy leg day is Friday.
2. Every leg day involves SOME kind of squat and SOME kind of lunge.
3. I told you all after last week's leg day that I thought these moves were helping. I got my olympic squats heavier and with better form than ever before.
4. I have a seminar out of town this week, so trainerwoman let me go in today for leg day. Today's squat was the kind we mostly see in Cathe's videos, which for me - as I'd mentioned before - has me rolling more onto the ball of the foot and the toes when I start to come up vs. keeping the weight back in my heels and engaging the back chain. I also don't go as deep on these.
5. Blah-blah-blah -----> I DID IT! I hit a 200# squat.

Carry on.

L Sass -

I've been away for a little while and am just catching and wanted to say congrats on hitting 200! Hats off to you!

Aww thanks sweetness. Onward and upward right? Aiming for my 275 deadlift next. That'll be a big one I'm sure. EEEK! :eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.