seated good mornings

L Sass

Cathlete
Hello all. Does anyone here do seated good mornings? If so, what if any benefits have you noticed? TIA

Had to Google it also. Seems like it could be useful, but definitely need to pick the correct weight and have excellent form.

Thanks melagras and atompki1. Yes, but many things about weight lifting can be dangerous, I totally agree. I would obviously have to go slow and smart. When I do standing good mornings, I FEEL my glutes and hams take over, which takes the strength focus OFF of the lower back. I need to strengthen my lower back, and also isolate my glutes and my hams. My goal is to strengthen the whole back chain, all in an effort to reach a goal of a heavy squat with perfect form. Mechanics and form all the way. These were recommended by two very knowledgeable trainers, so I'll play around a bit this week.

Well I'm no trainer and I would certainly take the advise of a qualified trainer over mine any day :) This move actually reminds me of the lower back lifts I used to do at the gym with a machine. www.painmanagementsclinic.com/tag/position/

My trainer used to have me do these holding plate weights in my arms. It definitely isolated my lower back. This is one of the only moves I did where I would actually feel a burn in my lower back.

Thanks for trying! Isolating the lower back is so hard. I have to think that if I take the time and focus on this, my lifts will improve. Tomorrow is my back day, so I'm going to tack on a few sets of these after deadlifts.

Lorrie,

This has nothing to do with your question, but I'm so curious I have to ask!!
What workouts led you to figure competitions? Were they all Cathe workouts? That's tough at any age, but I'm inspired by you because you're 50. :)
Please share your formula with this 50 year old gal.;):)

Hi ya Fit44! You are sweet indeed - thank you. I actually started with my trainer just before STS came out because I wanted to work on getting my 1RM numbers up - so as to make the most out of STS. I started using Cathe workouts in '04 and just followed along.

It wasn't until I started watching my trainer and sucking up every ounce of knowledge from her that I learned how true "training" works. And that real change only comes from heavy weights, clean eats, and time. Time is the hardest for anyone. When you put those things together, the body really is raw clay that can be molded and shaped any way we want. AND - you have to not listen to people who speak half-truth advice. I've learned that my best results come when I shut up, put on blinders, and do what trainerwoman says. Period. Like I got rid of my saddle bags - how? Clean eats, heavy weights, and time. Walking lunges were most effective. Cathe uses 8# weights in most walking lunge segments. I use 65# for the warm-up set. I've gotten up to 130# for 26 steps (13 each leg.) I really don't need to go heavier than that.

Now, with no disrespect to ANYONE here, I know folks who would read that number, cringe, and say OMG that is SO dangerous. And that I think, is a matter of persepctive. At one point it was dangerous for my children to turn on the gas stove burner. But as they've learned how to use it properly, and the ramifications of using it incorrectly, they pay attention to what they are doing and do it right. I think heavy lifting is the same way. When I started, there is no way in hell I ever would have thought about putting a 100# barbell on my back and doing a squat where my butt is way down below my knees. But, over time, having learned technique and safety, the danger factor is not like it once may have been.

I'll be 50 in June, and my goals are to hit a 200# squat, and 275# deadlift, oodles of unassisted pullups, and be able to use a 20# dumbell behind my head to do an ab curl off of the glute/ham machine. (See this video - but I go MUCH more slowly and uber controlled: Movement Demo - GHD Sit Ups - YouTube)

IF - and that's a HUGE if - I can hit those, I am considering doing a body building comp in the fall. I carry too much muscle to do well in figure. So, that's a long-winded way of saying that I guess my Cathe workouts did lead me to bigger and better. But for most folks here, we'll never got to look like Cathe by just following along with Cathe workouts. Not to say I don't adore her workouts, but you gotta' push beyond.

Lorrie,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.:)
I know I need to join a gym and find a trainer, but it's so intimidating.:eek: How do you find the right trainer? What should I look for? I was thinking about joining Golds Gym, but I need to get the nerve up!

Hi ya Fit44! You are sweet indeed - thank you. I actually started with my trainer just before STS came out because I wanted to work on getting my 1RM numbers up - so as to make the most out of STS. I started using Cathe workouts in '04 and just followed along.

It wasn't until I started watching my trainer and sucking up every ounce of knowledge from her that I learned how true "training" works. And that real change only comes from heavy weights, clean eats, and time. Time is the hardest for anyone. When you put those things together, the body really is raw clay that can be molded and shaped any way we want. AND - you have to not listen to people who speak half-truth advice. I've learned that my best results come when I shut up, put on blinders, and do what trainerwoman says. Period. Like I got rid of my saddle bags - how? Clean eats, heavy weights, and time. Walking lunges were most effective. Cathe uses 8# weights in most walking lunge segments. I use 65# for the warm-up set. I've gotten up to 130# for 26 steps (13 each leg.) I really don't need to go heavier than that.

Now, with no disrespect to ANYONE here, I know folks who would read that number, cringe, and say OMG that is SO dangerous. And that I think, is a matter of persepctive. At one point it was dangerous for my children to turn on the gas stove burner. But as they've learned how to use it properly, and the ramifications of using it incorrectly, they pay attention to what they are doing and do it right. I think heavy lifting is the same way. When I started, there is no way in hell I ever would have thought about putting a 100# barbell on my back and doing a squat where my butt is way down below my knees. But, over time, having learned technique and safety, the danger factor is not like it once may have been.

I'll be 50 in June, and my goals are to hit a 200# squat, and 275# deadlift, oodles of unassisted pullups, and be able to use a 20# dumbell behind my head to do an ab curl off of the glute/ham machine. (See this video - but I go MUCH more slowly and uber controlled: Movement Demo - GHD Sit Ups - YouTube)

IF - and that's a HUGE if - I can hit those, I am considering doing a body building comp in the fall. I carry too much muscle to do well in figure. So, that's a long-winded way of saying that I guess my Cathe workouts did lead me to bigger and better. But for most folks here, we'll never got to look like Cathe by just following along with Cathe workouts. Not to say I don't adore her workouts, but you gotta' push beyond.
I'm impressed. You go girl!

Lorrie,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.:)
I know I need to join a gym and find a trainer, but it's so intimidating.:eek: How do you find the right trainer? What should I look for? I was thinking about joining Golds Gym, but I need to get the nerve up!

Here you go. Think about what you said "IT is so intimidating." I always tell my kids (mostly to instill it in me) that things/concepts/people are NOT intimidating. WE may allow ourselves to BE intimidated by them, but that control lies in us. The other thing or person has no factor in and of itself that intimidates unless we perceive it that way. Remember this - true growth BEGINS at the end of your comfort zone. You will never know what you truly can accomplish unless you take a peak.

As for how to find the right trainer, start by asking around. Do you know anyone in your area who works with someone - or who LOOKS like they do? Ask. It's the only way to start generating the learning process. Go on girl. What's stopping you?

I can't like this post enough..... :)

BTW, how do you do your walking lunges? That must be with a barbell, yes? My goal this year is to really heavy up my legs to get them in great shape, and I LOVE walking lunges. My plan is to use my weighted vest (it goes up to 75#) - start at 25# and work up from there.....

Hi mspina. Yes, my walking lunges are using a barbell with a barpad to cushion a bit. With weights that heavy you have to use a squat rack for safety. And when I get into the really heavy weights I like to use my vest because it adds another layer of cushioning. Honestly, sometimes I don't know what burns more, the work in the legs (glute/ham) or the weight on the shoulders.

That said, you have to build up SLOWLY and allow yourself to get accustomed to the discomfort - bcause if you DON'T, you risk trying to rush the move and that's when injuries can happen. Be SURE to take a big step, and really feel the push off through the heel. My trainer makes me wear wrestling shoes when I do legs, because to really have to FEEL the heel push.

Just be careful, listen and learn from your body (you all KNOW that already.) Heavy walking lunges are NOT for everybody, but if you have the itch, start slow and TRACK YOUR PROGRESS. With heavy weights you see a much slower progression. You may only be able to go up 2.5# a week - and some weeks not at all. It's what I said earlier -- give it TIME.

And fit 44, thanks honey, but really not amazing. I just love to capture the challenge. BUT at this point I am SO freakin out of shape right now that I need to toally get it back. The last 2 summers have been really tough for me (here's my wahhh wahhh) as I've been in the hospital each summer with stupid serious threats. First a perferated appendix and last year a bacterial bleeding ulcer where I lost HALF my red blood and required two blood transfusions. Blech! Honestly, both have those things have set me back so far, that that's another reason for my goal of making 50 my strongest and healthiest year yet. HA! Good luck ladies -- all the best.

I'm off to google as well.....I am imagining a squat and someone throws you a Buick. Am I close, Morris? :eek:

XXOO!

I HIT IT!!!!

Did 'em! 4 sets of 10 w/ 45# barbell. S-L-O-W and controlled. This came after back day with trainerwoman, where I got my deadlift to 245. Couldn't quite do the 250. Dang! But something tells me I'll be having some serious back DOMS tomorrow. Ahhhh. I'll keep you posted if these help in my overall lifts.

I am sorry to revive old threads, but I did say I'd share if these have helped my lifts. So far ... YES!!!! I am loving them. Only hitting them 1x week, but this last week I upped my weight to 65#, so there is some strength building in. I am also using them in conjunction with Cathe's 100 rep hip thrusts. Now those I've done a little differently. I'm trying to strengthen my back chain muscles to really isolate and improve my squat. So I'm doing those in 4 sets of 25 reps, with 45-60 seconds rest between sets, but gone heavier in my weights. About 95#.

Trainerwoman has me really focusing on NOT rolling forward onto my toes when squatting. Rolling forward puts more work load onto the quads. I need it in the butt and hams. I've had my squats up to 175#, so I was pretty disappointed yesterday when my squats were only at 160# ---> UNTIL trainerwoman showed me my progress. I was not rolling forward at all AND I was down to about 8" from the floor. So all around better form and lower to the ground. Believe me when I tell you my arse is SQUAWKING at me big time today.

So, all-in-all I think these were a smart addition to my training. As Erin Stern says: Train Hard Y'all! :):):)

Don't apologize for reviving this, and PLEASE do it often!!!!! I love hearing your updates. WAY TO GO!!!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.