Saline Infusion Sonohysterography

jennifur

Cathlete
Anyone have a Saline Infusion sonohystrography before? I'm scheduled for next week and I'm really nervous. I think I know where this whole thing is headed and I'm trying to stay calm.

Last edited:
Hi Jennifer ,
I had to Google it to remind myself , but I had Endometriosis and had this procedure . I must have been out or given a twilight because I don't remember going through it - but I also had so many surgeries that sometimes they get mixed up in my memories . If you don't mind , I'd really like to hear about what you're going through . I've been through some pretty intense heath issues and would like to help you in any way I can .
All the best -
Kate

Thanks Kate,
I have had several very large fibroids for a number of years along with a large ovarian cyst that would not resolve itself. About five years ago I had the left ovary and fallopian tube removed-wasnt a big deal.All the worrying about it was. My fibroids were the size of a 3 month pregnancy last year. Since my only complaint was heavy flow I figured I'd deal with it. I hoped that when I hit menopause, estrogen levels would drop and the fibroids would shrink. I'm 50 and figured it would be soon, still waiting.
Fast forward to today at my annual visit. The doctor found a large polyp on my cervix and my fibroids are really large.They can be felt from the outside. Still my only discomfort is heavy flow and a not so flat tummy.
The polyp is set to be removed next week and the SIS will be done. At this point a hysterectomy is not the scariest part ( although I really, really don't want one). I'm afraid of it being something worse.

Well , I can totally understand what you're feeling - I don't think I ever faced the prospect of surgery without the worry and anxiety , no matter how many times I was told it was , " Routine " or whatever the phrase was . Of course , not being a doctor , it's not possible to say for sure , but your history of Fibroids could be considered a hopeful sign that it's not something worse . Now , I don't know anything about your family history , but are you worried about something there ? That would be natural for you to think about as well . I have a very good friend who went through the bleeding associated with Fibroids and it can be quite extensive , so even though the last thing anyone wants is surgery , those complications would be balanced with whatever procedure your doctor suggests .
I also wanted to add that I have had a Hysterectomy , and if it comes to that , I would be happy to talk with you about that too . It turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to me at that point because the pain I was in had robbed me of any quality of life . So even in post surgical pain [ and they do help to control that ] I already felt better than when I got there !
So anyway , I'm really glad you posted here - I haven't been on the boards long , but I'm always really impressed by the support the members show one another . I'd appreciate it if you kept me up to date with how you're doing or with any questions you might have . You can always pm me if it feels too private as well . Also what you said about the worrying being a big deal is right on . It's important never to do it alone .
Best ,
Kate

I've had this procedure before. It's honestly not that bad. I had some cramping afterwards but went right back to the office.

Best of luck to you....

I've had this procedure a couple of times, and it was not anything to be frightened of. One occasion they gave me a mild sedative, and the other time they didn't. I went right back to work the next day. I did have a bit of cramping, but it wasn't bad. Mostly from the distention from the saline, I think. I hope you get some answers! Don't fret over this procedure.

Thanks everyone! I am going away for the weekend and have reservations at a favorite restaurant. A lot to look forward to so I'm going to put this out of my mind for now :) . Fretting and speculating is really a waste of time.

Hi Jennifer - this wasn't a bad procedure for me. My doctor had me take two regular ibuprofen an hour before the appointment. The worst part is when they insert the tube for the water :D The rest isn't bad at all... Good luck, remember to breathe :)

Ellen

I had a hysterectomy in March. My uterus was the size of a 20 week pregnancy
and that uterus was preventing a needed colon resection. I had hoped that menopause would shrink my tumors, but after 6 years, no luck. They tried to do it laproscopically but couldn't due to scar tissue. So, I have a lateral cut from my navel into my pubic area.

Anyway, they took out the uterus, one ovary and one fallopian tube. I would never have opted for the hysterectomy, but am so glad they did it. I no longer have any incontinence, ( I hadn't done any aerobics for years), and I had a pain that radiated down my leg. That is now gone! The scar tissue was endometriosis, who knew.

I didn't realize that those tumors were causing so many problems! Good luck!

Jackie,
Wow sounds like you've been through a lot. I was hoping that menopause would shrink things as well, menopause has not started yet so I was really trying to wait it out. I'm not sure that I will be able to do that anymore. How are you doing now ? Jen

Hey, did your stomach get any flatter?? One can hope :)

Last edited:
I think my stomach looks better.

Other than my scar, the surgery was easy. For some reason, I had no bad pain after the surgery. I never used the self pain medication pump and never used any meds after.

I am really afraid of the next surgery though!

I was just trying to say that the surgery helped me in so many ways. I didn'T realize that the fibroids were causing my problems.

I wouldn't mind the surgery but I hope I'm lucky enough to keep the one ovary I have left. Glad to hear that you did not experience much pain. I remember back in the day when I had my c section that wasn't too bad except for the gas,ugh!
Good luck with your next surgery. When is it scheduled for?

I was supposed to schedule the colon resection three months after my hysterectomy, but I was dragging my heels. I need to see the surgeon and then go for a colonoscopy.Also need to donate blood for the surgery.

The thing that scares me is that the surgeon said a colostomy is always a possibility!

Hi guys ,
My sympathies to both of you - it's a lot to go through ! I know what you mean Jackie , I felt so much better after my Hysterectomy too .
Jennifer ,
Good luck this week [ if I have that right . ] The procedure won't be bad . You'll do great !

Kate

Had the SIS yesterday. It was not bad at all. Not really any different than a transvaginal sonogram.Also had a cervical polyp biopsied. Need a hysteroscopy next. Every part of my reproductive system is impacted, ovary, cervix and uterus.If I am lucky and there are no signs of anything dangerous, I've got some big decisions to make. If things come back badly there will be no deciding. It will be a hysterectomy.

Jackie,
It sounds like you've really had a rough go of things. I can understand your dragging your heels. Despite all my issues, I still feel like I'd like to avoid surgery- which is really ridiculous. I will keep you in my prayers. Wishing you peace of mind and freedom from worry. Please keep me posted. Jen

Hi Jen ,
So glad at least the SIS is behind you . I know the procedure itself wasn't the big deal , it's about the diagnosis . If you end up needing the hysterectomy , you'll handle it . And anytime you have a question about it , we are all here to help .
All my best -
Kate

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.