SAD Light Therapy Box

Nope not rude... For depression I have to take medication and I am not ashamed of it. When I lost my son I really had no choice. I still cry every day at some point and sept 7th will be two years! One part of me feels like it has been just yesterday they came to the door to tell me the my nightmare began. I exercise still and did a lot even the day after they told me because I suffer seasonal depression and just depression in general. I had trauma as a child and therefore I was depressed as a child. I am however always the one who will crack jokes and I am a clown to cover it up. I love to make others laugh. With all that being said I do still think we need to do our part to do thing naturally as well. I have a depression pill and two head ache prescriptions. I hate taking pills not because I am ashamed No way! And don't care what others think of me. I don't like taking them because I worry about liver problems and kidney problems that come along with taking to many pills.
So I loved the idea of a box with synthetic sun light to help. Echaide even with the depression pills some days I do not want or can face the day. With exercise it helps some and I just keep trying everything and anything I can. And I take Vit D as well.
It is an individual thing I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hang in there, Renee. It gets better. Eventually, It becomes more of a dull ache, instead of your heart being ripped out through your throat. But, it does take time.
For me, the light box will be the ticket. I don't get really depressed. I just don't like Winter. I grew up skiing, I will always love to ski. It's the only great thing about Winter for me. Something about snow in the mountains. It's very beautiful. But, Winter brings on the melancholy, and I don't tolerate the cold much any more.

Last edited:
Thanks desertambrosia I am trying. Winter time is the worst!
Please let me know how the box works for you and what one you got. Thanks

Yeah. UK Winters. YUK. Damp and grey, and way too long.

Justine:

I would swap you, any day! At least in UK winters, outdoor exercise is always possible, if it requires some steeling of the nerves. Here in MI, winter often lasts a full 6 months and I just despair! People come back out in April, having been stuck in for months, and it's like we are all prison inmates, just released after a 20 year sentence, all pale and wan and blinking at the sun as we stare up at the sky, not quite believing winter might be over.

Things could always be worse!

Note to all:
and I will read that chapter and report back with full notes on recommendations for a light box for help with SAD and all forms of depression and anxiety. Sorry for delay. Just got back from dropping my own beloved daughter off at college again in Mass, so my SAD starts now. But nothing like the loss Renee experiences. My thoughts are with you Renee, and big hugs to help you through. A lot of people here at cathe.com are sending you their love.

Clare

Nope not rude... For depression I have to take medication and I am not ashamed of it. When I lost my son I really had no choice. I still cry every day at some point and sept 7th will be two years! One part of me feels like it has been just yesterday they came to the door to tell me the my nightmare began. I exercise still and did a lot even the day after they told me because I suffer seasonal depression and just depression in general. I had trauma as a child and therefore I was depressed as a child. I am however always the one who will crack jokes and I am a clown to cover it up. I love to make others laugh. With all that being said I do still think we need to do our part to do thing naturally as well. I have a depression pill and two head ache prescriptions. I hate taking pills not because I am ashamed No way! And don't care what others think of me. I don't like taking them because I worry about liver problems and kidney problems that come along with taking to many pills.
So I loved the idea of a box with synthetic sun light to help. Echaide even with the depression pills some days I do not want or can face the day. With exercise it helps some and I just keep trying everything and anything I can. And I take Vit D as well.
It is an individual thing I think

Just got back from dropping my own beloved daughter off at college again in Mass, so my SAD starts now. But nothing like the loss Renee experiences. My thoughts are with you Renee, and big hugs to help you through. A lot of people here at cathe.com are sending you their love.

Clare

So..... light therapy, Vitamin D and a good dose of Cathe should help in curing the winter blues or make it bearable?
I think a vacation to a sunny location, right smack in the middle of winter, ought to help too!

But seriously, any other recommendations?

Those of you who get to take a vacation in the winter are very fortunate. I looked at rentals in Florida, but for the same money, we are able to take a 5-star European vacation. For the past few years, DH and I have been taking 2-week trips to European destinations, and I am extremely grateful for that. Our next trip is to Northern Spain and Portugal in June. :D DH and I agreed that if/when we feel that we are too old to travel (DH is 10 years my senior), we will buy a snowbird home. For now, light therapy will just have to do. ;)

complik8td,

You are truly blessed to be able to do a European vacation. Spain & Portugal next June - sounds exciting! I would love to visit Spain one day, it's on my bucket list too.
Right now, I'm trying to get as much sun time as possible to delay the winter blues, the autumnal equinox has officially arrived.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.