Running

katia7

Cathlete
I want to start running and was wondering if you guys could help me get ready...

1)is it OK to use crosstrainer shoes for running (I use crosstrainers for Cathe's workouts)?

2)for weights loss... what's more important speed or distance?

3)I'm going to be running outside... how can I take music with me? I tried just holding the CD player in my hands once, but it's too hard to run that way (and I definately need some sort of intertainment to keep me going).

4)Any suggestions to what my running program should look like? I'm pretty advanced when it comes to cardio but new to running. Used to do elliptical for an hour, but that's as close to running as I got.

Thanks
Katia

Everyones suggestions are probably going to be different.I will tell you what worked best for me.
1.I use a runner when I am running and a cross trainer when I am doing aerobics.I don't know if there is a difference,some say there is.I just didn't want to where my runners in the house when I was finished.I LOve Sacony for running but my husband just recently bought me the new runners from Nike.You may want to go to a running shop and they will help you with you shoes.A friend of mine just went and she came to the relization that her shoes were to small.She was wearing a 8 and needed a 9.
2.I don't think either one of those are the real answer.If you go slower it will just take you longer to get around.In the end you burn pretty much the same amount of cals.If you go to fast you may wear yourself out and then not enjoy running.First thing you need to do ,is pay attention to your breathing,pay attention to how your feet are landing...all those little things.When you know that you are comfortable and then think about introducing more speed or an extra 10 min.Play it day by day,if you almost have your run finished and you think you can go a little bit longer, then by all means.Just listen to your body,it knows best.
3.When I first started running I didn't take any music.I tried getting use to running first.I found that I would slow down to certain song and then speed up to others.But you may be different.I bought a radio last year that goes straped on to my arm.It is perfect and it doesn't bother me.I also have a MP3 player but I don't have any songs downloaded right now.
4.When I started running I think I was doing Body Max.It was the only video I owned.Running is in a class all of its own.I think when you are use to it it is fine but it takes some getting use to.I didn't run much this winter b/c I run outside but when I started again,I went out and did what I always did.I TOTALLY thank Cathe for that.Doing a interval workout really helped me with that. I just added another 3 kms to my run last week,which takes me another 15 minutes.I run 12kms now-1 hour.When I started running I did the walk jog thing,eventually I was runnning all the way,about 4 kms 25 min.Then it was 7 kms,then it was 10kms but my knees got really sore so I cut back down to 8 kms until this year and we will see what happens.Hope I helped,
Lori

Hi Katia!!
I don't run alot but I use it for crosstraining. I am not big on running in general because I think it's easy to overdo it and although good for your heart it's not that great on the rest of the body. The pounding is really not good. I know this from experience and what alot of other people have told me they feel about it.
So please don't overdo it.
In fact I'd run in the grass if I were you just to make it easier on your legs.
Answers to questions...
1. Crosstrainers are fine but if you decide to really log alot of miles I'd get a high quality running shoe.
2. For quick fat loss I do exclusively intervals....about 30 mins. when I run. I think you'll see weight loss doing either shorter or longer runs. I just do the quick interval workouts so I don't have to endure the pounding as long.
3. Forget about the cd player and get an MP3 player. The jarring during running disrupts every cd player I've ever tried.
4. As far as a program.....heck I just wing it. I like running intervals like I said plus I love hill running and dirt trail running. I think the important thing is to mix it up and do workouts where you are changing your heart rate around during the workout. I see tons of people out on the road just slogging along at the same pace all the time. That's fine but if you really want the benefits you have to move that heart rate. Just like any other workout you do.
Good luck!
Trevor

Sometimes it's nice to run the same distance over and over and watch the time improve.

Sometimes I like to go a long distance more slowly, sometimes a long distance that includes hills, sometimes a short hilly grueling run. Just like with weights or other cardio, it's nice to vary the workout. I've read somewhere that you burn 100 calories a mile, whether you run flat out or walk. It just takes longer to do it the slower you go. I started with a 5 mile run/walk, now I run at least 5 and as much as 10 miles, but no more than once a week due to all the pounding.

I just run in the winter, given I live in the South. I think I ran last weekend for the last time until October. I replace it with MIC and IMax and spinning in the warm weather as I cannot tolerate running if the temperature is above 70.

Hi Katia,

I would recommend getting running shoes if you plan to run regularly. There definitely is a difference. See http://www.runningroom.com/Tips/shoebuy.html number 8 for some info about them.

Also, if you do decide to run outside with music, please pay extra attention to your surroundings, since you won't be able to hear as well!

Sarah :)

Hi, Katia--

I would not recommend cross trainers for running; you should invest in a pair of running shoes. If you have a running shop in your area (like Marathon Sports), it's worth a trip. The people that work there are very knowledgeable. They'll look at your feet, have you try on several pairs, watch you walk and run (they have a treadmill in the store), and then make suggestions. It's a little extra $$, but well worth it.

When I first started running, I couldn't do it without music, but now I never bring music anymore. I feel safer without it, since it's better to be able to hear what's going on around you. However, if you really need it, try to find headphones with the little earpieces that fit in your ear rather than the big ones that cover your whole ears. At least you can still hear some of the noise around you. Try to keep the volume as low as possible. They have those walkman carriers that strap around your waist. I had one of those; it worked really well. I think they have ones for CD players or cassette players. And they have those MP3 players that strap on your arm. Those are really cool, but you'd have to know how to download the music onto it.

For a good beginner's program, check out the Runner's World Magazine website (www.runnersworld.com). One word of advice--don't try to go too fast! That was a mistake I made in the beginning. You think, "I'm going for a run" and then you RUN fast--and run out of breath REALLY quickly! Just go at a nice pace that leaves you just able to carry on a conversation. If you have someone to run with, this will help, since you probably will be talking to each other.

Good luck! Running really is an amazing workout; it leaves you feeling more "worked out" than anything I've ever tried. I hope you like it!

Marie

Hi Katia,
I went running today outside for the first time. I have a treadmill, and use that once in a while. Wow! I am really exhausted. My right calf hurts and I feel like I did IMAX 3 times. I did the 10 minute walk warm-up, followed by 1 minute walk/run intervals. I thought I was going to have a fairly easy time since I can do Cathe cardio, but this kicked my butt. Take it slow:) I have no idea why it was harder than the treadmill. Yowza.
Dawn

Hi Katia (I love your name),

1) I actually run faster in running shoes (but I have yet to find a good pair that I really like).

2) I think intervals/hills would be the best. I tend to run for a given amount of time on flat ground and I think the "redundancy" makes it hard to really push myself (although I try:)).

3) I have a Sony walkman radio that's only 3"x3" which works perfectly for me. I highly recommend that if you get a radio, you get one with preset buttons so you can easily "surf" the stations.

One more thing: They make a product called "moleskin" that works great for preventing blisters and protecting the ones you already have.

(DawnA: Please let me know if you're still interested in a running partner.)

Shelley http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/tiere/fish.gif

Hi Shelley!
OMG! Yesterday was tough. I really expected it to be much easier. I parked at McDonalds, walked for 10 minutes, did the 1 minute walk/runs, turned around at St. Huberts (almost to the beach), and came back to McDonalds. That took about 55 minutes. My hubby went with me, but his legs are so much longer than mine that it was difficult for us to run together. I would like a partner anytime, I need someone to push me along and keep me honest wth my times. I felt like such a loser yesterday. I know Cathe says you can do anyting for one minute, but those were loooong minutes!:)
Dawn

Like some of the other people, I would definitely recommend running shoes for running, they are lighter and designed specifically for running. Wearing them will reduce chance of injury and long term damage for sure.

I used to run quite a bit, lately I've been doing a lot of Cathe cardio but hadn't really run since last fall sometime. I thought for sure running would be as easy as it used to be for me especially while doing all the Cathe work, but its not. I went out on Monday and even with my past running experience I got winded really quickly. Its amazing just how different it is and even though you may be in great shape its a whole different ballgame. When you're looking for running plans start out as a beginning runner for sure. But because you're used to working out you will have some of the endurance but be prepared for sore muscles the next day.

As far as running fast vs. not running fast, I really wouldn't worry about that right now. Start out running as a comfortable slower pace while you get used to it and develop a feel for it. Then over time with training you can decide if you want to run faster. Its really a matter of training. You just can't sustain a fast past for very long at the beginning.

A great info site is http://www.halhigdon.com/

Jolene

Oh, yay! Another possible convert!

1. Get running shoes. You don't have to spend that much. Many people say go to a specialty store, but if your foot is neutral, any running shoe will do. (I bought top-of-the-line running shoes for $145 for my marathon training and they didn't feel that different than my $65 shoes.)

2. When you first start out, you want to increase your endurance. Interval workouts are great because you can burn a lot of calories in a short amount of time. But, there is a reason why marathoners/long distance runners are so lean: They run for a long time which burns stored fat. But, again, interval workouts HELP with increasing endurance.

3. I know it's tempting to take music, but if you are a woman, it is a no-no unless you are in an ultra safe area (are there any such places anymore?) It's easier to concentrate on form, breathing, etc. with no music.

4. Even though you are in good cardio shape, running is a different animal. I couldn't run for 5 minutes my first time out even though I was able to do BodyMax in it's entirey with no problem.

Remember to start slower than you think you can run until you build up your endurance.

Reaching my goal of running 30 minutes was tougher than training for my marathon. But, if you can reach the 30 minute mark, it really does get easier.

I'm posting in a hurry, so I apologize if I'm repeating anyone else's responses, since I haven't read them. Just wanted to add that I think cross-trainers are okay for part time running, a few days a week. If you plan on doing more than that you should consider getting a good pair of strictly running shoes for your comfort and conveniece. Also, I run with a mini-disc player and it works great. They are very easy to copy onto. I just use my computer to transfer music. Have fun!

emily

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.