Running question

chealey

Just a quick question for you runners out there.....I have been training for a Half Marathon using a combination of itrains and outdoor running. I run about 4 times a week varying the workouts between sprints, hills, distance, etc. The question is..it seems that I am regressing and getting worse. I was doin great last week making strides (excuse the pun). BUT now the last 2 runs have been horrible! I can't even run 5 miles without stopping! It is like my legs are bricks. I need some advice. Please! I am getting very frustrated! I truly value the advice given on this forum and am a frequent lurker looking for advice and inspiration!

I had my husband, who is a very experienced marathon and ultra runner, read your question. Here is his response:

This appears to be a clear case of overtraining. Most people going for a new distance in running should not combine speed training with distance training unless they are truly exceptional athletes. Also, are you icing up after all of your runs? Most first-time distance runners don't pay enough attention to recover and end up overworking the muscles.

Relax, take a few days off and then slowly get back into your program -- but consider eliminating the speed training until the next race. One more thing, if you are not already doing so, you might want to consider alternating sneakers -- running in the same shoes all the time can be a problem. I rotate three or four pairs at a time.

Hope this helps.

Hi Carrie,

How are you adding to your mileage? The most recommended way of doing it is to do so gradually--i.e. every other week, so that your body has a chance to adapt.

Are you resting on your non-running days and/or cross-training with low-impact activities?

Do you vary the mileage of your runs within the week? Ideally, you should be doing speed drills 1x/week (no more than an hour), a tempo run 2x/week (4-6 miles at a good clip), and a long run (gradual uptick in mileage every other week, with 10 miles being your maximum mileage during training) only 1x/week to maximize your effort, but not kill your body.

How close are you to your half marathon? Please remember, you need to taper as you get closer. About 3 weeks before, avoid weight training for your legs to give them as much time as possible to conserve their strength, and don't run any more than 4-5 miles. A week before, try and keep your runs to 2-3 miles.

It does sound as though you're probably overtraining. Training for a half marathon is strenuous, so please be sure to get lots of rest and not push yourself too much. Your body will know what to do come racetime, believe me :).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.