Running in Warm Weather

Cruncholi

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,
I noticed that I cannot get motivated to run in this warm weather. I never had a problem with running in warm weather before. I ran a couple of days per week all winter and spring when I had to bundle up in lots of clothes. At that time, I was thinking to myself how nice it would be to run without all those bulky clothes on. Now that I can do that, I don't feel like it. (I ran a few days per week last summer without any problem). Has anyone else had this strange experience or know why this happens?
Thanks.
Linda aka Cruncholi

Well, I just feel sick and weak if it's too hot. And for me, that is 75 or above, as once I'm running my typical 8 minute mile pace I generate a fair amount of heat. And here in NC it's generally humid. So, I just dont run for 4 or 5 months of the year. I replace it with MIC and IMax. And I hate the flies and gnats and mosquitoes as I run through the park in warm weather also.

It's getting pretty hot in So. California, too, so after almost collapsing on my last run in 80 degree weather, I've decided to run on Saturday in the early AM when DH is home to watch the kids and do IntervalMax and other Cathe step tapes until the weather cools down.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

Hi Linda,
I go through this every summer after the dreaded HUMIDITY strikes. And stays!
Some weeks or days or even months, I'm fine & manage well. Other times I feel like I'm going to be sick or faint, whichever comes first.
I have no idea why. General health, physical & mental? (Which changes all the time.) What I've eaten lately?
Don't know. Pain in the neck though.
Ruth
:-( Sigh

The heat and humidity make a huge difference when running. It's not as easy to breathe, therefore you are winded much faster. I compare it to trying to breathe mud, especially here in the southeast.

I can't run when it's too cold either, so during the cold winter months and the hot summer months, I retreat inside to my treadmill!
Jeanne

I can't stand running outside in the summer. Too hot and humid, even if I go out at 6am. So, I just don't do it. Plus, I sweat a lot and even though I bring a bottle of water with me, it just isn't enough. I need at least 3 full ones to feel comfortable. I just use Cathe's tapes and other interval tapes, and I am able to keep up my endurance. My favorite time to run is in the fall. I can't wait.

Hi Linda,
I know it's harder to run when it gets over 80 degrees, but I think it's SO important! MIC and IM aren't quite the same as running- nothing (except a treadmill maybe) is the same as the steady-state, even impact, calorie blasting, non-musclebulk-building greatness of a long run. So get out there and do it!

Lisa

Thanks to all who responded!

Lisa, I agree there are benefits from a long run that you just can't get from any other type of exercise. I am going to force myself to do it. Right now I have time in my rotation on Thursday mornings at 5:45 a.m for one hour. It's not even that hot at that time, but I have not even been able to get myself to get started!

Mind over matter!

Thanks again,
Linda

Hi, Linda Cruncholi!

IMHO, you should NOT run if it's too hot for you, especially if the humidity is also high, even if you hydrate well. Your core temperature elevates so much and in high humidity the sweat can't do its job of evaporating and cooling you off, so overheating, heat fatigue and heat exhaustion are very real risks. Even though video workouts aren't the same as a run, obviously, I don't think it will do anything fatal to your program to wait until the climate is better for it.

Just my $.02 . . .

Annette

I must agree with Annette. If you can't find a time to run when it's cool enough for you, I'd find other options. At one time in my life, I would have been less of a "skirt" about it. But, after biking 111 miles in 90 degree weather in Maryland last weekend and witnessing my husband becoming dehydrated is enough to make me change my mind. Unless you can physically consume enough water, electrolytes, etc., I don't think it's a good idea. He's the most fit person I know, but after mile 75, he slacked off on the water and he was a hurting puppy. Now, I think he may have compromised himself for other outdoor activities in very hot, humid weather. A run that was only 30 minutes long in this heat this week just about killed him. Maybe it'll just take him awhile to recover fully?
Please don't take unnecessary risks.
Amy

I also adamantly agree with Aquajock.

If you are running in 80 degree weather, your body temperature rises and you feel like you're running in 100 degree weather.

Running in weather like that is not wise. You won't be able to work out as hard and your body has to work so much harder to keep you cool (which is almost impossible in high humidity because your sweat doesn't evaporate).

The risk of getting heatstroke is not worth it, IMO. Even elite runners avoid running in extreme heat and do their training indoors on treadmills.

During the summer months when I take a hiatus from running, I use Cathe's step tapes and when I return to running, I find I have lost very little (if any at all) cardio endurance.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

I also agree with Aquajock and wanted to add that - if you take some time off from running, or decrease the frequency of your runs during the summer - when you get back to running, it will provide a big shock to your system. I always find when I go back to running after taking some time off, my leg muscles really feel it - it really keeps those muscles guessing!
Personally, I hate running when it is hot - it just doesn't feel good for me. I love cold weather running when it's not windy - it feels so invigorating!
Erica

Well if the issue is whether one will suffer from heat exhaustion, then of course I would advise to NOT run. But I believe Linda's original question was about simply getting the motivation to run, now that it's warm. So to that, I say just do it!

Lisa

I wonder if it's REALLY harder to breathe or is it just the feeling that the air is harder to take in?
Could it be that you really aren't getting as much air per breath in humid air since each breath is comprised of higher percentages of water? (I'm in my "Ask Mr. Science" mode!!)
Trevor :)

IMHO, If you aren't motivated to run in warm weather, then don't. There are plenty of other things you can do inside, such as the treadmill, or other forms of cardio.
For me, in order to get a proper workout, the environment I am working out in has to be good and I have to be enjoying it. Going out in 90%+ humidity with high temps. to run in the sun is not my idea of fun. If I do go out on those types of days I do something where I at least am escaping the sun, such as mountain biking, hiking, or trail running.
Trevor :)

WOW! Thanks for all the insightful replies!

I got up the motivation to run yesterday morning at 5:45 a.m.(instead of IMax). It was about 65 degrees and somewhat muggy at the time. I had to literally walk out the front door, go down the stairs, and start running so I didn't lose the motivation. I also just wore shorts and a tank top to keep cool. It worked. I ran about 2.2 miles.

I will definitely be careful to not run in really warm and muggy weather though. I do not want heat stroke or dehydration!

Thanks again. It's nice to know others have considered the issue also!

Linda

My last outdoor run of the summer was last week. I live in the South (TN), work 2nd shift and usually don't get out of bed until 9 am. By that time it's already scorching. I'm lucky to have a small Liberal Arts college across the street from where I live which happens to have a wonderful wooded trail. But even in complete shade, running in the heat and humidity wipes me out. I'll be using my elliptical and treadmill for as long as the heat persist (thru Sept., usually), and I expect to lose some conditioning as a result. No, running on a treadmill is not the same as running outside, but I don't care. I'm safe and comfortable, which is more that I can say for running in high heat and humidity.

Actually, in Runner's World I read that if you put your treamill on a 1-2% incline, it is pretty much the same as running outside. I run on a 2-3% incline, sometimes higher if I am doing a hill repeat and I find I lost no fitness when I ran outside.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.