Runners with dogs....

MidgetDogg

Cathlete
I just recently decided to stop the treadmill running and combine the run with the dogs' walks. Just wondering, for those of you who run with your dog(s).... what do you do with the full poop bags? On Wednesdays, it's not a problem because it's garbage day and I just toss them in the trash cans waiting for the garbage men, but otherwise...

Also, do you hold the leash in your hand or have the leash that wraps around your waist? I don't worry about that one with my puggle, because he's relatively good on leash, but the Australian shepherd is still pretty young and nuts. I'm afraid of spinal damage when he sees a squirrel or hears another dog barking at us from his living room.:D

I have 5 Australian Shepherds and have been running with them for a little over 2 years. I keep the leashes in my hand at all times. Three of my dogs are pretty good and I could even go without a leash (but we have leash laws here), the other two get a little excited when they see other dogs, so I rather keep the leash in my hands instead of around my waist. They do have belts though where you can hook your leash to, I think I have seen it on www.sitstay.com

As to the poopie bags, I try to get them to do their business at the very beginning of our run because there are garbage cans. If they don't I have to carry the baggies in my hand for 1 or 2 miles to the next garbage can :confused:. With a little bit of patience you can teach them to go poop at certain spots. It takes a little bit of time in the beginning but I wouldn't want to miss my runs with my pooches for anything, it's my daily therapy session :D

You didn't ask about it but I always take this http://www.ryanspet.com/productInfo.aspx?itemNo=TCA40901 with me. In case one of my dogs is misbehaving, but mostly for when other people have their dogs run loose (because in my area, some people think the leash laws don't apply to them :mad:) and go after my dogs.

HTH

I used to run with my two little schnauzers (they are older now, so we just walk) - I always just hold their leashes. It's the safest, surest way to keep them under control. I keep treats in my pockets, baggies tied to the leash handles, and I have a detailed mental map of every possible poo-bag disposal zone along every one of our usual routes! I use dumpsters or dedicated dog-related trash cans in parks.

I do have one bit of unsolicited advice: when you're running with your dogs, you have to let their experience take precedence over your workout. If your dogs are anything like mine, they'll push themselves hard to keep up with you, even if they're hot/tired/in pain/otherwise not really up to a strenuous workout. So keep an eye on them and be sure to let them work up to longer distances gradually.

My little Schnauzers were great running companions, and are still great walking companions, although they always tired quickly in hot weather - I try to get them out in the early morning when it's cool, which is nice for me, too.

Thanks ladies! Unfortunately, I'm a bit more rural and we don't have receptacles anywhere (except on garbage day). I'm only taking each of them 2 miles (run one, then the other) because together.... they're nuts. I run first thing in the morning, so it's never too hot.

We do have leash laws here, so having dogs off leash isn't much of a problem - especially at 6 a.m.

I saw this leash on Runner's World, and thought it might be good since it has a bungie cord to absorb shock in the case of a unexpected squirrel. http://frolickpet.com/freeleash/

I usually put mine out to do their business right before we leave the house and they can usually make it through, especially on short runs before they need to go again. Taking a pee break is a whole other issue! LOL! Milo feels it necessary to pee on everything that stands upright, but if you give him just a little tug, he keeps running along!

On the poop issue - I will just run with it until I get to a public garbage can, or home. Once you actually do it, you'll realize it's really not a big deal. I don't even really notice it. I don't know that I'd use someone else's garbage can, even if it is at the curb. When I'm running on trails and need to clean up after him (off trail I don't bother - other animals are doing their business there, so I really don't think dogs need cleaning up after in that case), I will sometimes leave the bag behind a tree if it's in an area I'll be coming back to at the end of my run - then I'll pick it up and carry it out from there.

When I have him on-leash, I always carry it in my hand - I have seen the belt clip options and they look cool, but I'd be worried about getting yanked around. Hmmmm - although of course you could just grab the leash with your hand when that happens...... I might try one of those out after all! Anyway..... We have a wonderful trail system within walking distance of my house so we'll often run there - once we get on the less populated trails, I let him off leash and we have great runs together. It's REALLY fun to run with a dog!!!!

It might take some getting used to on both your sides - ease your pooch into running so he doesn't get sore/injured. But once you get into a good rhythm for you both, it's really quite wonderful and SO good for them. Good luck!

thanks - we don't have any public trash cans, so that's out. LOL about the curb cans.... I always feel like I'm doing something illegal when I plop the bag in there, so I make sure nobody is around. This morning I took the little collapsable water bowl (made from fabric) and clipped it to the leash. It closes with a snap, so I put the full poop bag in there. Worked pretty well.

I really do think I need the wait leash for my Aussie. He just can't seem to run (or walk) in a straight line. He weaves from side to side and it makes me nuts.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.