Runners - need opinion on PF

Worknprogress

Cathlete
My PF(plantar fasciitis) has flared terribly. I was continuing to run but stopped this week. I am still doing everything I need to do - wearing shoes all of the time with orthotics (even in my pjs - yeah, looks pretty goofy), icing, stretching, the stretch splint for part of the night, etc. Everything I did last time but last time it went away fairly quickly. This time, it's just not getting better.

Of course, fall is my favorite time to run. Beautiful crisp mornings with the temp being around 55-58 at the time that I run.

I know I can do no impact equipment like the elliptical, bike, etc but it just doesn't give me the same endorphins like running outside does at this time of year.

I did start STS and am on the 3rd week of Meso 1 so I am getting weights in at least but I miss my cardio!

So runners, did you run through your PF and did it still go away? Or did you find you had to give up on running completely,and other impact cardio? And with either route you went - how long did it take to go away?

Hi there. I ran through BUT I listened to my body. I did a combo run/walk and shorter distances. My PF comes and goes but when it is here boy do I know it is here. I still have not given up my running, . . . I just do less of it and yes I totally agree with you Fall is the best time to run. Right now I just run 2 times a week because my PF is worse than usual but I have been lifting 6 days a week.

My opinion on PF is that is that is suckS (well, that is fact, not opinion) My last bout with it was the worst I've had, and now its been on again/off again for a few days. Who knows? I've just ran thru it. I"ve been taping before I run, and that seems to help alot, and icing/rolling w/ a frozen coke bottle after. Seems to help big time. The only thing that seems to be bugging it now is certain shoes. Even when I went to the Dr, she said I could run thru it, said wasn't going to make it any worse, but would make the healing a little slower. She recommended cutting back, though. So I dropped a day out and replaced it with other cardio. Just my thought.

Nan

First I'm more of an interval walk/jog person (cardio coach) than steady state runner. And I don't do it every day. 2-3 x/week max as my knees can't handle any more than that.

I agree it depends on how bad the flare-up is. If it's not too bad I just modify a bit. The bad ones - you know where you can't get from the bed to the bathroom without hopping on the good foot? - I'm limited on what I can do. (My PF is mostly in my right foot)

I have found that using Spira shoes seem to help the PF. I don't get the PF as bad or as often. And, of course, listening to my old, creaky body :p

I had it really really bad and it went away after a year. I finally took a total rest from running and that is what healed me. I think it just depends on how bad it is for you. I still baby my foot now that I am running again. Any twinge of it coming back and I back off.

I ran through it! It hurt like the devil, but not running didn't seem to make a difference.And actually, after the 1st mile~ once I warmed up, it would quit hurting....until I was done! My PT said running through it wouldn't make it worse, just as the previous poster mentioned, slow down healing. I put Dr.Scholls PF pads and meta tarsal pads in my Saucony non-running shoes, and like you wear them all the time. No more barefoot, no more flip flops! :( We spent the weekend at the beach and I DID do some barefoot and flip flops and wouldn't you know...a whisper of a flare up! Back into the Saucony's, did a 9 mile run yesterday and feel fine today. The frozen water/coke bottle is my favorite icing/stretching method. It feels awesome!
It sounds like you are doing everything *right* and most of us seem to share the same ideas/suggestions. I think it's just up to you and what you feel up to.
I hope it goes away soon! It is truly miserable!
sending (((hugs)))

Becky

I was (am?) a marathon runner and suffered from PF in my left foot so badly that I was out of commission for over a year. After undergoing all conventional therapies that a podiatrist administers, I ended up having surgery. It took almost a year to clear up, but I only feel the PF slightly in that foot.

I should add that I had both prescription and PowerStep brand orthotics. After my surgery I continued to wear them but a certain area of my foot was just not getting better. We were on vacation and I wore the PowerSteps in my Crocs down to the pool. They got wet and very stinky so I threw them away. Within days my foot started feeling better. When I got home I started using my prescription orthotics and I started feeling the PF again. I have not worn them since.

Also, I wear sensible shoes, but find that Birkenstocks and Crocs are fine as well.

So, here I am, left foot pretty much all better and up to 9 miles in running distance, with a total weekly mileage of 19 miles. I started feeling the PF in my right foot about a month or so ago and knowing full well where it can lead I have taken actions to hopefully head it off at the pass.

I've seen an accupunturist three times and it seems to be helping.

Additionally, I recently learned of a procedure called Active Release Therapy:

http://www.activerelease.com/

There is a chiropracter just blocks from my house who is ART trained. I've seen her twice. Holy cow, it hurts like heck, but it is definitely helping.

PF just isn't a textbook case for everybody, is it? Amazing.

My PF only hurts when I'm not running, and on/off periods. Right now, I'm fine all day and first thing in the AM as long as I wear shoes for 98% of the day. I have NO PAIN (knock on wood, REALLY really hard, please) while actually running; it's an hour or so afterward and barefoot that it hurts. So I'm able to run run RUN till the cows come home, and as long as I'm careful about what I wear the rest of the day, I'm fine.

Everybody's different!

Gayle

Debbie, I am so sorry you are suffering with PF. I know exactly how it feels. It's painful physically of course, but also mentally.

I was like Gayle in that mine only hurt when I was NOT running. I could run all day long and be fine, but then when I would sit down and rest a while, I couldn't get up and walk on my foot. And everybody who has had PF knows what it feels like straight out of bed in the mornings... OUCH!

I did keep running through my flare up. I was very diligent though, about stretching and making sure I didn't walk barefoot anywhere, anytime... ever.

I hope you feel relief soon!

I've been suffering through my first case of PF that started after I spent a day on the beach walking barefoot in the sand. The next day I couldn't even walk-- my left foot hurt so bad. I was running and doing Insanity and seeing fabulous results and I was so frustrated I had to stop. It started feeling better in August, but it flared up big time when I attempted another run.

After 3 months of doing low impact and lots of barre work it's started to feel better. I find it odd that so many PF sufferers have days when they're pain free and other days when it rears it's ugly head. I find barre work, Classical Stretch and other types of lower body exercises seem to help a lot. I spent money on a new pair of New Balance running shoes but I haven't ventured out on a run yet. I resumed Insanity this week, despite the fact I have some pain, and I'm happy to report it's no worse than before, so I'm going to continue Insanity, because I really miss that endorphin high.

I know I'm coming to this discussion late; however, I just finished reading a book that addresses this very problem. 'Born to Run A hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World has Never Seen' by Christopher McDougall is a must read for any runner. I'm not a runner, I loath running, but had to do it because of my military career. After reading this book I discovered I don't know how to run correctly, I should throw out my expensive running shoes and running can actually be enjoyable. The more expensive your running shoe the more likely you are to get injured. I know, not intuitive, but read the book and it will make perfect sense. Christopher McDougall weaves an adventure tale, science and humor into an incredible fun read. Pick up the book you won't be disappointed

sorry this is late but check out "The Pose Method" or "ChiRunning." The Pose method sounds like it would take care of just about any runners issue. I am halfway through the ChiRunning book and will follow up with Dr. Romanov's "Pose Method" book and DVD. I am hoping this will turn me into a runner! Have always wanted to be able to run but either shin splints or knee bursitis stopped be very quickly. There is a lot of info out there on the Pose Method, a truly interesting read.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.