Runners -- I'm so discouraged!

DeborahG

Cathlete
Hello runners and everyone else. I couldn't be more discouraged! I used to run regularly (6 days/week) in my "younger" years. I started getting back into it more regularly several months ago with much enjoyment and no problems. Well, now I have what I believe to be iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS) and I can't get rid of it! I took a few weeks off, but my leg still does not feel right when running, and it even bothers me just walking around (especially down the stairs!). Has anyone dealt with this successfully? Any suggestions would be SO appreciated. (I got a foam roller which does help, but apparently not enough.)

I paid $50 to sign up for a 1/2 marathon in March, and unless I get this problem solved, it was wasted $$$. So bummed.

Thanks for any input, and have a great weekend everyone.

Deborah

Deborah!

As a fellow runner and ITBS sufferer, I truly feel your pain!

Things I've found that have helped:

1. Good fitting running shoes- go to a running store and have them help you
find one that is correct for your form/arch, etc.
2. FOAM ROLLER! - I do it prior to and after each run.
3. ITB-specific stretches - if you go to runnersworld.com they have some
helpful ones or you can google the stretches as well.
4. I had some deep tissue massage done on both by IT bands twice weekly
and, although pricy, helped tremendously.
5. Stop when it starts up during your run - do NOT run through it. It makes
it that much worse
6. Mix up your work-outs with some cross training (elliptical, bike, swimming)
that will keep you fit cardiovascularly while "resting" your ITB
7. FOAM ROLLER! I repeat this because I think this has been most
instrumental in my ITB issues.

Hope others chime in as well - I'm always looking for more help regarding this
syndrome that has plagued for months on and off.

HTH!:)

Heidi

I was plaqued by ITBS earlier this year. I purchased a foam roller and it helped tremendously. Also, if you are running outside, pay attention to the road you are running on. My ITBS developed on my left side by running on a road that sloped downward to the left. I try now to avoid sloped roads and in races try and run toward the middle of the road. I have also tried to strengthen that side of my leg as well. Now, I only start feeling pain if I'm in a race with sloping roads that I cannot avoid.

I understand your frustration. I am now plaqued with tibalis-posterior tendinitis and missed a 5K this morning and will miss my first 1/2 marathon in two weeks. I will have to be content with cheering on my sister (Lioness). I know that this will pass as well but it was torture to watch a race this morning that I would have enjoyed running in. Be patient....which sucks but this will pass and you will be running soon.

Jean Louise

Hi Deborah. I agree with ALL of Heidi's suggestions. My Massage Therapist is awesome on the ITB area and always lets me know if it is tight. The foam roller is great too. Also, ice the area where the pain is 15-20 min 3 times a day. I have had ITB issues a few times in the 30 years I have run! I normally get through the pain in a very short time by following all these steps...Good Luck to you and let us know how things go...:)

Deborah,

I seem to be in the same boat, and yeah, it is a bummer!

Appreciate all the advice given.

Carole: should we be icing 3x a day EVERY day or only days that we run or work out?

I have a wonky IT band too. Foam rolling and icing really help to clear it up. When I am having pain I try to roll my IT band 2x a day on the foam roller and ice it too. I also keep a tennis ball at work and when my IT band hurts I massage it with the tennis ball. It helps for some relief until I can get home and roll it out.

About cross training... that's definitely a good idea, but just a warning my IT band pain got worse when I was cycling. So, just take it easy with your alternate activity until you find out what works and what doesn't for you.

I just wanted to thank all of you for your understanding and suggestions. I will be trying all of them, you can be sure. I am also going to look into a more sturdy running shoe. I just bought a pair of Asics Gel-Kayano (which I've always worn), but I don't think they offer enough motion control form my increasingly-overpronating right leg, which I think is one source of my injury. (Unfortunately, I just paid $140 for them, so it is almost as painful as my ITB to shelve them already.)

If any of you gals have a particular running shoe that helps with overpronation, let me know.

Thanks again for all of your help. I'm off to ice and then foam roll my IT band. Ouch!

Have a great night!

Deborah

Cathy...anytime I ice from an injury I try to do it 3 times a day every day!!

Also, when I had ITB pain it was usually on the outside of my knee. My MT told me to foam roll the area between my hip and my knee (along the outer thigh) but NOT on the painful area on the outside of the knee, roll to just above...:)

I went through a couple of bouts of ITB inflamation. What I found really helps is ITB specific stretches right after running and to wear an ITB strap. I bought a strap a couple of weeks before my first marathon because my last run (before tapering) was really bad. My ITB swelled so bad I could barely bend my knee and walking was painful. I bought the strap and wore it on all my runs for a couple of weeks before the marathon and during the marathon. I had zero pain and inflamation.

I had to slowly strengthen and stretch my outer/inner thighs after (had some imbalances going on) but eventually got rid of the band after a few weeks. I haven't had to wear it since but keep it just in case. Anyway, here's a link for it as an option:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/PRO010/Pro-Tech_Athletics_IT_Band_Compression_Wrap

Kathy G

The only thing I can add to all the good advice is to find someone to check your gait. Some medical clinics have foot clinics which have gait clinics! Or check with a local cross country or track coach.

Alos re: shoes, see if you can find a place that can check you feet/gait before purchasing. I just bought mine cold, so to speak, and they are fine, but next time, I'm going to go to a place nearby for specific reommendations.

Re: foam rollers, how exactly do you use them?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.