Runner's Check-In 04/28/06

Karen - I didn't realize this is your first! HOW EXCITING! Glad you got the paper in the mail. You'll enjoy this. HUGS!

Karen-High Fives and Hugs! I am so excited for you-when is the race date? Hey, you've got to start somewhere, right? When is the race date? And more importantly, have you bought yourself a cute outfit for it?:p
Mattea

Good afternoon runners!

Today I did MM upper body and core then ran 5 miles. I've just got a regular long run this weekend. Next Satuday I'll be running a 10K.

To all of you who are racing, good luck and have fun. I can't wait to hear how each of you did!!!

Karen, congrats on jumping in and doing a 5k race! It is a scary thought at first, but once you get to the race all the energy and excitement is great!

*I hope to say the same thing about marathons one day, like our seasoned pro Carole. ;-)

Elaine, good luck on your 10k next weekend!

Judy, I'll have to look at the timing companies at every race now...maybe I'll get to "meet" his company. Very Cool! :)

Thanks again everyone for the well wishes. I'm telling myself...no pressure, I'll just enjoy the experience! :)

Kathy

Man what great support you women are. You have really made my day.

The race is May 6th. I haven't bought a new outfit yet but I sure will. I need new shoes but I don't know if one week is long enough to break them in.

Special thanks to Kathy, Mattea and Christine. You made me feel so much better. I'm so nervous but excited now that I dropped it in the mail. I have kids and husband and family and this is something I have been sitting around saying I'm going to do but don't do it. This is something for myself which usually isn't the case with three kids, plus I homeschool. My husband is in school as well so it's non stop with things for them. I had that paper sitting there for three months. My husband keeps saying I never doing anything for me. It's true. I'm the one who puts it off. With the help I got from all of you, and my family today I feel good about what I did. I know my dh and kids will be proud when they see mommy at an actual race instead of on the treadmill

Quick question. What do you normally eat or drink before a race?
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Karen -

Sounds like you really need to do this. Oh you'll feel so proud when you finish - and think of the example you're setting for those three precious kids.

As for eating - for a 5K, I don't normally do anything different - just make sure I eat well for a few days before - no sugar, good mix of carbs and protein - so I have no bloat to carry around - and get enough sleep (or try to) the night before. Set two alarms, so you don't have to worry about sleeping through one. (That's me - I'm awake every hour certain I'm going to sleep through my alarm - which I never do anyway *shakes head at self*...

> Set two alarms, so you don't have to worry about
>sleeping through one. (That's me - I'm awake every hour
>certain I'm going to sleep through my alarm - which I never do
>anyway *shakes head at self*...

I just did a 5K last Sunday and I totally should have done the 2 alarm clock thing! Good suggestion! I kept waking up scared that I would get up late and ended up not sleeping at all.

Karin

Karen - just make sure you have some Advil or Aleve incase you do start to feel crampy. You'll be on such an adrenilin rush, that I doubt you'll really need it, but it's best to have it just in case (kind of like the 2 alarm thing). DH can hold it. :)

Karin - yeah, learned that trick from hiking mountains. You have to leave at some ungodly hour (like 3AM sometimes) in order to be on the way back down before noon. So if you sleep in you don't get to go - and what's the point of traveling all that way if you're simply going to sleep? Glad your 5k was successful! 5k's are so fun.

Hi all, checking in a bit late today. As usual there are such wonderful inspirational posts to read. I did 6 miles today with the Runervals CD, the cheetah fast I think it's called. I don't know who was recommending it....someone on this check-in but I decided to go for it and I would like to thank whoever it was. What a great workout! I really prefer doing my speedwork on the TM. In a little bit I'll be doing some weights with PH.

Karen- there is nothing like a first race! You are going to be so jazzed girl!!! :D :D Try and relax and enjoy the experience...this is only the beginning:eek:

Sending good vibes to Laura, Gayle and especially Kathy (marathon...
OMG) this weekend. Can't wait to hear the race reports!

Carole-thank you for the description of Humboldt. No wonder you've done that race alot. It sounds fantastic! I was planning on my first marathon attempt next January but I've been toying with the idea of bumping it up to this fall. I've already done 18 mile runs so I'm almost there. I'm just being cautious and slow. I'm afraid I'm just not as courageous as Super Sarah!

Tata for now,
ShellyC

Karen, You should be very excited about your 5K!! You are going to have so much fun! Just remember...it is the first of many and this one should be used for learning purposes. Regardless of your time, you need to finish proud of yourself! It takes courage and guts to get out there. One of the things you will quickly learn at these races is the incredible amount of mutual respect the runners have for each other. The elite respect and admire the last runner in...just as much as that last runner in respects and admires the elite...because it take courage and guts!

Time doesn't matter. We all have time goals but that never dictates whether or not we call the run a success or a failure. If you do your absolute best AND HAVE FUN, then it is a huge success whether your time is 23:00, 32:00, 45:00 or 55:00. You could run the fastest, best race of your life but if you were miserable the whole time...what was the point? The cash prizes for 1st place suck! Not worth the effort!

As for making your loved ones proud...they already are!

Sarah you always know what to say. I'm serious, you almost made me cry. I so want to do this for myself. It's just fear. I'm afaid I will get lost or off course. Anything. At the same time I want to be like them ( You) all of you. I want to inspire my girls. I mean in a million years did I ever think that I could even attempt a 5k. I really think it is mental of where I have been physicaly in my life to where I am now. Sitting here thinking about how I used to weight 254lb and didn't workout to where I am now scares me. I did that and I didn't think I could. Do you know what I mean? I still have that mental self doubt. It scares you to look at yourself and be proud of where you came from. I didn't think signing up for the 5k ,now that it is close would have such an impact of where I came from. My kids don't remember me heavy or unfit. They remember me now as the mommmy who workouts and eats good. I'm proud of that. When you said time doesn't matter it hit home. I put so much pressure on myself to not be who I was. I was a person who wished I could do it but didn't. And then I did do it. I got fit that is. I think that is most of my problem. Now that I talked to eveyone today i feel so much better. I can do it and I will do it. It feels so good to have put it in the mail. I can just imagine how you feel with yours being 8 days away. I'm proud of you as well. All of you.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Karen,

Late January 2005: I start a running program
Late June 2005: I start incorporating outdoor runs
August 2005: I run my 1st 5K
September 17 2005: I run my 1st 1/2 marathon
Novemeber 20 2005: I run my 2nd 1/2 marathon
May 7 2006: I run my 1st marathon.

Now THAT is a super short time line! So when you say that you want to be "like us"...you already are!!!

It doesn't take years of running and a huge stack of race numbers...it takes drive, determination and dedication and you CLEARLY have that!

P.S....save the race numbers...jot your time on the back.

Another P.S....don't worry about getting lost! Just follow the crowd! If it is a thin crowd, they will have people standing around directing you. You won't get lost!

Yet another P.S....try not to be nervous...you belong there!! It is what weekend a.m.'s are for! Best family events EVER! How wonderful will it be for your kids to look back at their childhood and remember going to all moms races? FREE BANANAS!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.