Rotation Help for an avid runner, occasional triathlete...

runrn7

Hi all! Cathe your help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

It has been a long time since I have done a Cathe tape, but after feeling so burnt out from marathon/triathlon training I am looking for some advice on rotations that would still incorporate running, biking and swimming, but also include Cathe tapes.

Running is most important, followed by biking and then swimming.

Weight training ranks up there with running.

These are the tapes I currently have, and some of them are old, but in time I will get some of the newer ones...

Pure Strength Series
Slow and Heavy Series
Intensity Series
Body Blast Series
Interval Max
Body Max
Maximum Intensity Strength
CTX Upper Body
Leaner Legs
Cardiokicks

So, can anyone help me make a rotation?

I prefer to run on the weekends, and not lift on the weekends.

THANKS!!!

I know this is a BIG task I just asked!

Pamela

Glad to be back here! :)

:) :)

Hi again!

I am surprised no one has any thoughts on this.

If anyone out there does, please let me know!

Thanks!

Pamela

Pamela hi there. Would be willing to offer my 2 cents (as a runner, former marathoner and tri-athlete). A few questions:

how much time do you have to devote to exercise? do you do two workouts per day ever? do you have any injuries? how much cardio do you want to fit in per week?

also are you doing a long run on weekends, or long bike? i ask that because when i trained, much of what i did revolved around "saving" my legs for the long runs.

let's keep talking.

Julie

P.S. did you see the Hawaiian Iron Man coverage a few weeks back? I sobbed my eyes out!!!!

Julie,

Thanks...right now I am not training for anything. Just a few short running races here and there. I MAY do a half iron in the summer, but I am not so sure...it takes a lot of training time, and I am not so sure I want to be spending all my time training. I am competing in some sprint tris later in the Summer and another marathon in the fall.

I do have a coach I work with for my training, but right now I need a change from long cardio, and the same cardio over and over - run, bike, swim, repeat...

I had put my weight training on the back burner for awhile while I was training for the marathon, and now I am increasing my weight training days to 3/week.

I do a longer run on Saturdays and a shorter one on Sundays and an additional run during the week. I also bike and swim alternating those each week. I want to include some Cathe tapes in there as well. My legs are the hardest part to get in shape...meaning to look tight...they tend to look loose compared to my upper body/abs which get tight and fit very easily. Not much work needed for them. I see change in them fast!

So, my goals are to lose some fat, not much, but to tighten these legs up and make them look as fit as my upper body while trying to keep my cardio in there...and get recovery and rest. And, is it more beneficial for 4 days versus 5 days of cardio? I always seem to see better results with less cardio...thanks!

Pamela

Pamela I also see better results muscle definition wise when I cut back on the cardio. I do far less than you - 4x/week cardio somewhere between 30 - 60 per session. Usually about 40 minutes on average. A few points:

1. I would work in a lower body focused workout Wed/Thurs where you push the weights higher. Trying to save your legs for the weekend run. Leaner Legs a goodie, or at the gym. Lunges especially, squats.

2. Biking tends to bulk up the legs, so on biking days make sure to put in extra stretching that focuses on quads. Also consider in off season not pushing the resistance drills on the bike.

3. Also a "shock your body" thought is to vary weights - 2/3 weeks heavier (like Slow and Heavy series, MIS), then light, then a few weeks of higher rep workouts (like Power Hour, ME). This has been working wonders for me.

4. Look at your diet as well - more lean protein, water. Building muscle takes extra protein. Debbie/Fitness Freak recommeded a protein shake prior to and after muscle workouts when increasing the lbs. Worth trying.

5. Finally, in working your body 3x/wk, aim for working each body part 2x/week during your heavier weight training phases, to allow for ample recovery and rebuild.

Hope that helps.

Fit Over 40

Julie,
This is so very helpful, but now I did post to Debbie/FitnessFreak yesterday about a rotation, but now I think it needs to be changed up...here are the tapes I have...

Pure Strength Series
Slow and Heavy Series
Intensity Series
Body Blast Series
Interval Max
Body Max
Maximum Intensity Strength
CTX Upper Body
Leaner Legs
Cardiokicks

This is the rotation I came up with, but maybe you can help me tweak it now with your advice...??

WEEK TWO~
M-PYRAMID UPPER BODY AND RUN :35 EASY OR RUN :35 EASY AND PYRAMID UPPER BODY
T-SWIM A
W-CARDIO AND WEIGHTS
TH-PYRAMID LOWER BODY
F-YOGA
S-RUN 1:05
SN-RUN :40 W/6X100M ACCELERATIONS AT END

WEEK THREE~
M-MUSCLE ENDURANCE AND IT WORKOUT A
T-INTERVAL MAX
W-RUN :40 AND PYRAMID LOWER BODY
TH-YOGA
F-MAXIMUM INTENSITY STRENGTH OR MUSCLE ENDURANCE
S-RUN 1:15
SN-RUN :30 W/6X100M ACCELERATIONS AT END

WEEK FOUR~
M-CARDIO AND WEIGHTS
T-RUN :30 AND PYRAMID UPPER BODY
W-SWIM A
TH-PYRAMID LOWER BODY
F-OFF
S-RUN 1:00 OR RACE
SN-RUN :30 W/2X100M ACCELERATIONS AT END

Can you help me make some changes with the weight training tapes? I can decrease the cardio on my own by eliminating a cardio day altogether.

THANKS!!!!

Looking forward to your help!

Debbie was a great help as well!

Pamela

RE: Rotation Help for an avid runner, occasional triath...

Pamela,
I highly recommend adding Butts & Guts to your collection--it's a killer leg workout!

Cathy :)

RE: Rotation Help for an avid runner, occasional triath...

Thanks Cathy! I am going to order it this week! :)

Pamela

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.