Rotation for 40+ with slowing metabolism, osteoporosis fam. hist.

GirlwCurl

Cathlete
Hi Cathe, (or any of you other posters out there),

Love your tapes first of all, but here is my question:

I will turn 42 next month and I see some peri-menapausal type symptoms starting to creep up on me: slower metabolism, fat redistribution, increasing weight, anxiety. I also have a lot of osteoporosis in my family and I need to keep that horrid disease at bay. Lastly, I am concerned about overtraining as I keep reading that at my age, my muscles may need more recovery time than 48 hours.

I have been a (mostly) regular exerciser for many, many years and am in pretty good cardiovascular shape, am meso/endo-morphic, but have only recently added weights so am relatively weak, especially in my upper body. I currently exercise 6 days a week for an hour to hour and 1/2.

What type of rotation would you recommend that is not senior-citizen oriented (I can still do a reasonable amount of high impact) but is also a bit more tailored to my age. Thanks very much!

Could you tell us about the weight training you're doing? Are using a tape, going to a gym and using machines? What kind of equipment do you have at home? What tapes?

As for cardio, it would be good to mix you intensity levels. Try to avoid the temptation to do high intensity stepping for all your cardio. Try some kickboxing if you haven't already, and some hilo, plus the old standby...WALKING!

What kind of cardio tapes and equipment do you have? I'm almost 53, so I can relate.

Hi Honeybunch. I did Tae Bo kickboxing for about 2 years about 4x/week (mostly advanced) with about a weekly gym cardio machine/minimal weights workout. About 5 months ago, I started doing the Firm--and am now on week 10 of the 90 day Firm rotation. I occasionally throw in some Cathe step (did CTX one week for a break from the 90 day), some Christi Hi-Lo, etc, to sub for the Firm cardio tapes when I need some diversity.

Most of my cardio and weight training is at home using videos/dvd's, dumbbells, barbell, body bar. I do a little bit of Yoga every now and then and am still fairly flexible for a 40 something. I have a step, medicine ball, resistaball, dumbbells, ankle weights and barbell--pretty much the gamut!

Weight training is an excellent way to circumvent the middle aged spread we all dread. As we age, we lose muscle mass but we don't HAVE to slow down, it just somehow happens. Strength training can reverse the metabolic slowdown and weight bearing exercise can help prevent osteoporisis. I do 45 to 50 minutes of cardio most days and try to get in two full body strength training workouts. I often break the strength training up into smaller units to fit it all in. Good luck in whatever you do!

http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule! B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif bbi

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-02 AT 02:28PM (Est)[/font][p]I am 48 and do regular weight training. The older we get, the more we need it.

I also do cardio at least 4 times per week.

My body has never looked better.....sure, I work hard to keep it this way.......I am the smallest I've ever been in my life -- even in high school! I do not have cellulite and I also model lingerie and just landed a contract with a major publication to do a photo feature......

I also had my thyroid checked. It was underactive. Now I take synthroid daily.

Finally, I know this is a controversial issue, but I would not be without my hormone replacement therapy.

Most people guess my age at about 30.....and I don't tell them any different......LOL!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.