Restarting everything at 51

Hello, everybody! My screen name is Levi and I’m a long-ago Cathe fan and an long-ago frequent participant in the forums. I was a faithful, kick-butt worker-outer, 6 workouts a week, at least 60-70 minutes every day. At one point, I even completed the original P90X series!

I quit the forums and even working out it 2011 and haven’t really exercised regularly since then. I have been riding my horse about 5x/week, though, for years and years.

I’m now 51 yo and in the worst shape of my life. I weigh 190 and am desperately sad. Clothes, shoes, and even just moving around is uncomfortable. I’ve been doing 16:8 Intermittent Fasting without success for about six weeks.

I’m not sure where to start again. I was hoping to maybe work out 3x/week. I can’t go on like this. The idea of counting calories for the umpteenth time in my life makes me just want to crawl in a hole.

I recently cracked open the last series CF released - I think it was the “Lite” series (?). I was watching the Pyramid Pump and wondered what do you do if you don’t have a ‘sliding device’ or can’t use one on your floor. I have Pavigym puzzle flooring and it’s too sticky for anything to slide easily. What do you do?

Also, what kind of shoes are people using? I have flat, wide feet. All my shoes are years-old old school New Balance shoes.

Anyway, sorry to just dump everything in my first post in a long time. Thank you in advance for any tips and Words of Wisdom you may provide. I’m especially interested in the views and opinions in the 50 and over crowd, but would certainly welcome any help.

Thank you!

Welcome back Levi !
Once a Cathlete always a Cathlete and kick-butt worker-outer :)
I think the Lite series is a great way to get back into your workout groove !

A new pair of shoes is great motivation too, I use Avia right now but have used Ryka in the past and loved them.

You have been super fit before, your muscles will remember once you get going !
Starting out do what you can, and build on it, 3 times a week is a good start !

For the sliding exercises, I have read that others with the same issue have gotten themselves either a piece of carpet or laminate flooring to put down for those.

Congrats on the P90X, that's awesome ! And I am so jealous that you have a beautiful horse !
Hope this was helpful :)
Brigitte

Welcome back Levi !
Once a Cathlete always a Cathlete and kick-butt worker-outer :)
I think the Lite series is a great way to get back into your workout groove !

A new pair of shoes is great motivation too, I use Avia right now but have used Ryka in the past and loved them.

You have been super fit before, your muscles will remember once you get going !
Starting out do what you can, and build on it, 3 times a week is a good start !

For the sliding exercises, I have read that others with the same issue have gotten themselves either a piece of carpet or laminate flooring to put down for those.

Congrats on the P90X, that's awesome ! And I am so jealous that you have a beautiful horse !
Hope this was helpful :)
Brigitte

Hello, Brigitte!

Thank you for your reply and your SUPER encouragement. I expect at 51, I won’t be doing P90X anymore. I did that YEARS (and 30 pounds) ago!

I’ve attached a picture of me on my horse. Her name is Adeleine.

Cheers!6631

Last edited:
Levi, I am so jealous you have a horse. What a beauty she is too.

As for starting over, I was around the same weight as you back in 2014 and was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I too was uncomfortable all the time. I was 42 years old at the time, I am 47 now. I had exercised regularly before but due to a high work load I had stopped and was eating poorly. My kidneys were also being affected and I knew if I continued I would eventually be facing dialysis. At the time there was a documentary series on TV about diabetes and in one episode it showed a lady giving herself dialysis at home and explaining what she had to do and how often and how she had to rearrange her life around her treatments. This motivated me to turn my life around. The doctor prescribed me Metformin but after about 4 weeks I started reacting badly to it so stopped taking it. I started exercising again, I hadn't discovered Cathe yet so I did Leslie Sansone's walking DVDs (I could barely walk 1 mile when I started), and gradually progressed to other workouts such as 10 minute solutions, Dancing Off the Inches and Jillian Michaels. I discovered Cathe in 2016 and bought her ICE series. I now have most of her DVDs.

As for diet, I have never counted calories but I did make a conscious effort to drastically reduce carbs. I was eating a super high carb diet and cut back to low/moderate carbs, adding more vegetables. I made substitutions like zucchini pasta for pasta, cauliflower rice for rice, unsweetened yoghurt instead of sweetened yoghurt. I cut out all soft drink and started drinking herbal tea instead. I also cut out nearly all cakes, sweets, and other junk food, limiting myself to 2 cookies per day. The combination of diet and exercise has worked and I now have normal blood sugar levels and my kidney function has greatly improved. I now weigh about 138 lbs.

I agree with Brigitte, Cathe's LITE series is a good series to start off with and grow with. As you get fitter you can add heavier weights and add on the calorie crushes. ICE is also a good series but I find the main workouts are a little bit harder than the LITE series.

Good luck on your fitness journey.

laurawd , love your post and words of wisdom, could have used them many times before ! Will carry them with me always and carry on Strong !!!

You can do this! I am WAY older than you and am more careful than when younger but have not lost that much. start slowly with something like Lite series so you know you’ve “worked “ but don't get overly sore. get some shoes that fit and are comfortable for you. I use Brooks.
a Weight Watchers /Mediterranean type diet program is fairly easy to follow and flexible. Skip fad diets. Cut out the obviously inappropriate foods, sugary, greasy, junk food Right now you are getting exercise riding but not cardio. Your gorgeous horse is getting all the benefits.

Get a calendar or device to log in to monitor and check your progress. Look over at check ins and challenges for a group to join to post and encourage you

Hi Levi, I can relate to your despair about getting back to fitness and losing weight. I had also about given up when a new-to-me primary care provider suggested I cut back on carbs. This was a game-changer for me. After the initial adjustment period (sugar withdrawal symptoms and a long-ish period to become fat-adapted), it became the easiest way to lose weight with no calorie counting involved. Plus I experienced a bunch of other positive health effects from going grain and sugar-free. After I lost some weight and started feeling more comfortable in my body, I started walking daily, then bought some Jessica Smith workouts to get back into indoor exercise as the weather changed. I too used to be fit and had most of Cathe's workouts, but was no longer able to do them for a number of years. But after doing Jessica's workouts for awhile, I started doing some of Cathe's again, then completed the "official" intermediate rotation, and then it was back on. I feel so much better now. I just completed a round of STS & really felt accomplished. It has been a two-year process and I'm not totally where I want to be, but I'm progressing in the right direction and have much more hope and optimism about the future. I am 63. YOU CAN DO THIS!! What you feed your body is more important than what you lift or how much cardiovascular you do at this early juncture. So, please consider lowering your carb intake by going sugar- and grain-free for two months (so you get past the withdrawals, reduce inflammation, become able to burn fat, and heal your gut), and see if that increases your energy and motivation to improve your body composition and fitness level. Two months, minimum - any less and you won't be able to reap the full benefits. You may find, as I have, that your body responds much better to a whole foods diet than any processed foods. I hope this helps. Deb

Oh, and as for shoes ... I just continued to use my old shoes until I felt a twinge this past spring. I have problem feet with bunions, neuroma, and past episodes of plantar fasciitis so foot health is important to me. When I experienced the twinges, I started the Internet search and ordered about 6-8 pairs of shoes over 2 weeks from Zappos and sent back all but two - a pair of solt-knit Innov-8 for lifting and a pair of Hoka One One for Hiit & other cardio workouts. Everyone's feet are different, you really need to try them out. Thanks to Zappos for their generous return policy, I was able to get two pair that offer the appropriate cushion for the various workouts without bothering my bunions.

Looks like lots of people have covered what your concerns are so I'll just add that I gave up counting calories about 2 years ago and have lost 47 pounds. I don't do any fad diets, except for eating way more veggies & fruit, cutting out processed foods like breakfast cereal & granola bars. I also stopped constantly weighing myself, and only do so about once a month. Its been so liberating.

Hi Levi! I've gone through so many ups and downs .... it's just life, I've decided. It's not something that I should beat myself up about! You were in a down period for a few years, but kudos to you for riding and loving riding for that period of time. My daughter rode for years, and I was the horse chauffeur, checkbook LOL, cheerleader and I KNOW how much work goes into horses.

Just thought I'd address the intermittent fasting part, as I've been doing it for 2 years now. The one key thing that matters is the FAST: it has to be CLEAN. Nothing other than plain water, green tea or black coffee. No creamer, no lemons in your water, no zero-calorie sparkling whatever. The other thing is that the work of the fast starts around the 16-hour mark, so anything beyond 16 hours is your body and cell working hard to renew. I didn't know this when I did 16:8 years ago and it stopped working. Read anything by Gin Stevens or about One Meal A Day (she has great Facebook groups), or if you like the science of it, all of her teachings are based on Dr. Jason Fung. It's the real deal.

Best of luck to you and HAVE FUN getting to know Cathe all over again! She's always there for you. :)

Wow you have an awesome motivator--your beautiful horse! Think of how much better the both of you will feel as you get back to a healthier and happier you! I bet your rides will be even more enjoyable. Let that be your motivation and I am sure you will find workouts you enjoy that will make a difference. Also, I've NEVER counted calories. Enjoy your food but remember it is fuel and the better quality food as opposed to quantity will make a difference. I know you can do it!

You are very blessed to be able to work out. Start with Cathe beginner workouts . There’s no hurry . Just stay consistent !! Get shoes for just working out . Once your bored move up to the Body Blast Series . Just do premixes. Take the pressure off yourself . Just keep it fun and refreshing for your mind and soul. I was 190 lbs 2x and am now because I got hit by a van biking with bike cart to get grocerys . I can’t work out . I plan on changing that once I get insurance . You just keep moving at your own place . Give yourself a hug !! You have nothing but fun ahead!! Do “ your” thing . Cathe will keep your body safe . Do not ever feel bad if you have to pause . It’s better then nothing !! Trust me!!! You got this !

Love this thread! Echo what everyone else has said. I am in a similar place (without health problems, though.) You can do it, young lady! GO GET EM!

Take your time and listen to your body. Cut back on sugars and processed foods. It will not happen overnight so accept that this is a long-term program. Be patient. Only you really know what your body can do. The beginner DVDs (Basic Step and Body Fusion with add ons for weights, and Low Impact Step) are wonderful. Use no risers if that what you need to do. LITE is a bit harder, but take a look. I've had to lose weight and regain form and it's doable. You'll get this done, and be so fit at 55 you will amaze yourself!!!

Though not Cathe, I find Jessica Smith to be just as motivating, if not moreso, in a different type of way. Her workouts are something you could do as you start back. Her Walk Strong 6 Week Total Transformation System (ten 30 minute workouts) or her Walk On 21 Day Weight Loss Plan (set of 4 workouts on 2 dvds) are both great. You can do this! Make small changes as you go along such drinking more water, eating a fruit and vegetable daily etc and things will happen!! Keep us posted!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.