Replacing workout shoes

jodijodi

Cathlete
How often do you replace your workout shoes? I know that runners are supposed to replace their shoes after a certain number of miles, but what about cross-trainers for aerobics? I had heard every 3 months, and my podiatrist told me every 4 months, but somewhere after 3 months or so, my feet start to ache after each workout, and replacing the shoes seems to alleviate this.

My podiatrist said that the shoes are still fine for wearing for walking and everyday activities, that they just shouldn't be used for working out after that. It really starts to add up, replacing shoes 3-4 times a year! What to you all think?

Yes it becomes very expensive to replace shoes every couple of months. I usually wear Ryka-n-gage, but lately they have started to bug my feet and they are new. My feet have been very happy in a pair of running shoes I got on clearnance at Wal-mart for $15.00 - go figure.....

I have 4 sets of shoes. They all have a line of demotion! I have a 3-4 month lifespan for my shoes before they are passed down.

New pair are my aerobic/high impact shoes
passed down pair 1 weight lifting shoes
passed down pair 2 walk around town/shopping shoes
passed down pair 3 yard work now grass stained shoes.

I tend to get my money's worth out of all of my shoes! But, with the aerobic shoes (depending how how much impact you put on the support and cushions in the shoes) need to be replaced to keep back alignment and bone structure supported. I had read this a while back. I have had a lot less back aches and knee problems in doing this. I feel that the extra financial splurge is worth it to my body......

Tanya in Texas!

http://www.myspace.com/taebotanya

Shoe Lover Checking in

Jodi:

Do you really want to know what I think? ;-) LOL! :7

I love, love, love Nike shoes! :7 I wear different shoes for different types of workouts, and I replace each pair every 3-4 months. I get more mileage out of my weight training shoes. Step is my favorite cardio workout, so those shoes get replaced more often. I only wear my cross training shoes for boot campy workouts, so those last longer.

It is a good idea to have more than one pair and rotate them at least every other day. This extends the life of the shoes and allows the cushion to bounce back before the next use. I believe it is better for your feet too. Well, that is how I justify my collection! You have to spend twice as much now, but you will not need to buy shoes as often. It is really not more expensive in the long run. Some stores have sales that allow you to buy the second pair at half price. I like to buy more than pair one at a time because styles change. I hate finding the perfect shoe only to see it discontinued a few months later.

A lady from my church owns a consignment shop. She sells my shoes after 3 months. I never wear them outside. They still look new, and they have plenty of cushion for someone who is not overweight and just wants a pair of Nike shoes to wear. Nikes have great resale value when I sell them every 3 months.

As a disclaimer, I need a shoe intervention. Keep that in mind before taking my advice. ;-) LOL! :7

Blessings,
Heather B.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

RE: Shoe Lover Checking in

LOL Heather, I know about you and your shoes...I will take your advice with a grain of salt ;) :+

I like the idea of giving the pair of shoes used for cardio a rest in between workouts. Right now I "demote" the old pair and use it for walking and everyday activities, and give the older demoted pair (still in great shape) to my cleaning lady, who loves them. So I think I will add a level of demotion, using the last pair for weight workout days.

Thanks for the advice ladies!

I kind of have a line of demotion as well. My newest shoes are used for cardio. Then they get moved down to weights, then to every day use. When there is no more cushioning, even if I use inserts, then I toss them.

By the way, what kind of shoes do you wear for step?

I wear Ryka N-Gage Instructor. Just ordered a new pair from walkingsue7 on ebay.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.