Red Bull

britgirl

Cathlete
Hi Cathe I have been using your workouts for several months now. You have really whipped me into shape!!! I just wanted to know how you feel about the Red Bull energy drink. I have been drinking one about 30 mins before my workouts for the last few days and I see a big difference in my endurance. I powered through Imax 3 better than I ever have although I don't think I will ever plie jack as well as you!!! It concerns me because of the extra claories and the added sugar in this drink even though I just drink one a day am i better to stick with water only or is adding the Red Bull along with water a good combo? I feel such a difference in my performance but don't want to start something that really isn't the best for me. I value your advice thank you so much!!

Teresa

For those who don't have time to read the whole article, here is what should be taken from it in regards to drinking the drink before the workout.

Well just my thoughts about it anyways.

"Part of the concern is that Red Bull is an energy drink, but it doesn’t replenish the body after physical exertion (like sports drinks such as Gatorade).

In fact, because Red Bull has so much caffeine – it can actually dehydrate the drinker. That means if you’re physically exerting yourself and drink just a Red Bull, the lack of hydration could strain your heart."

For those who don't have time to read the whole article, here is what should be taken from it in regards to drinking the drink before the workout.

Well just my thoughts about it anyways.

"Part of the concern is that Red Bull is an energy drink, but it doesn’t replenish the body after physical exertion (like sports drinks such as Gatorade).

In fact, because Red Bull has so much caffeine – it can actually dehydrate the drinker. That means if you’re physically exerting yourself and drink just a Red Bull, the lack of hydration could strain your heart."

Hi all I just wanted to say that I drink lots and lots of water before during and after each workout. I would not rely on Red Bull for hydration I make sure my water intake is high. I just feel it gives me an extra oomph when I need it. Also it contains as much caffeine as one cup of coffee or so the label says and most people drink more than one cup of coffee a day. Thanks for responding!!! Teresa

Hi all I just wanted to say that I drink lots and lots of water before during and after each workout. I would not rely on Red Bull for hydration I make sure my water intake is high. I just feel it gives me an extra oomph when I need it. Also it contains as much caffeine as one cup of coffee or so the label says and most people drink more than one cup of coffee a day. Thanks for responding!!! Teresa

Hey There! I just wanted to add my two cents here. It is however, my opinion and nothing else. I am a nurse and I can't tell you how many times we have had to re-hydrate someone who consumes these beverages. These same people also come in complaining of heart palpitations, and a general "too hyper" feeling. Now granted, these people have definately consumed more than one (well, they tell me just one or two but we know better ;) ) I have never consumed a RedBull energy drink, but if I was, it wouldn't be more than one, and I sure wouldn't do it on a regular basis. I worry about underlying conditions, like heart murmurs, hypertension, etc and how the drink can make those things worse. To me, it's just not worth it to have a better work out. Good luck to you in your decision to use it/them.

Becky

Hey There! I just wanted to add my two cents here. It is however, my opinion and nothing else. I am a nurse and I can't tell you how many times we have had to re-hydrate someone who consumes these beverages. These same people also come in complaining of heart palpitations, and a general "too hyper" feeling. Now granted, these people have definately consumed more than one (well, they tell me just one or two but we know better ;) ) I have never consumed a RedBull energy drink, but if I was, it wouldn't be more than one, and I sure wouldn't do it on a regular basis. I worry about underlying conditions, like heart murmurs, hypertension, etc and how the drink can make those things worse. To me, it's just not worth it to have a better work out. Good luck to you in your decision to use it/them.

Becky

I, too, drink a Red Bull about one hour before working out for the same reason (it also helps me power through the big Cathe workouts!) I drink the sugar free version (which is only 10 calories). I don't drink coffee in the morning, so this is the only source of caffeine I get. The only other thing I drink is water. I have had no problems with this -- as suggested in another post, I would definitely not drink more than one. You might want to switch to the sugar free version -- you are getting only 10 calories as opposed to 110 (which, if I remember, is the calorie content for the regular version).

I, too, drink a Red Bull about one hour before working out for the same reason (it also helps me power through the big Cathe workouts!) I drink the sugar free version (which is only 10 calories). I don't drink coffee in the morning, so this is the only source of caffeine I get. The only other thing I drink is water. I have had no problems with this -- as suggested in another post, I would definitely not drink more than one. You might want to switch to the sugar free version -- you are getting only 10 calories as opposed to 110 (which, if I remember, is the calorie content for the regular version).

Thanks!! I just found the sugar free version today and drank that instead. Tastes the same but less calories. I drink decaf coffee in the morning so for me too this is my only caffeine of the day. I drink water mixed with a little gatorade to flavor it up the rest of the day. Glad someone else feels good drinking this!!!

Thanks!! I just found the sugar free version today and drank that instead. Tastes the same but less calories. I drink decaf coffee in the morning so for me too this is my only caffeine of the day. I drink water mixed with a little gatorade to flavor it up the rest of the day. Glad someone else feels good drinking this!!!

Hi,
Not Cathe, but just had too chime in with my 2 cents worth. I'm not a Red Bull fan because of lack of research etc. Instead, I have been drinking gatorade before, during and after the workout and taking Life Fitness vitamins-Energy Boost, Workout Prep and Workout Recovery before the workouts as well as a daily fitness vitamin. I was wondering, for those of you who do like Red Bull, have you tried the new Enviga? I do, and I love it!!!!! I just think it has better research to support it. I know you can't always believe what you hear, and of course the research is done by the companies that make the product-Coca Cola and Nestle, but it claims to be the calorie burner. They claim that if you drink 3 cans a day, you can burn 60-120 calories. Each can has the equivalent of a cup of coffee. I'm not a coffee drinker, but used to get my caffeine kick from soda. Lately, I have switched to Enviga, and love the taste. They have berry, citrus and plain green tea flavors. They are carbonated and taste great. The plain one doesn't taste as well as the other two, but I have been putting powdered gatorade in it, and it taste exceptional. So now I get the energy kick that I need, plus the electrolytes. I think people just need to take caution no matter what they drink or consume. Anything in excess can harm you, even water. I try to space the recommended 3 throughout the day and never have more than 4 throughout the day. As for the basketball player that collapsed after taking 4 Red Bulls, I think it had to do with the fact that he comsummed all 4 at once. I think that people know that caffeine stimulates the heart, but too much caffeine plus physical exercise on top of that is just too stressful on the heart.
Eva

Hi,
Not Cathe, but just had too chime in with my 2 cents worth. I'm not a Red Bull fan because of lack of research etc. Instead, I have been drinking gatorade before, during and after the workout and taking Life Fitness vitamins-Energy Boost, Workout Prep and Workout Recovery before the workouts as well as a daily fitness vitamin. I was wondering, for those of you who do like Red Bull, have you tried the new Enviga? I do, and I love it!!!!! I just think it has better research to support it. I know you can't always believe what you hear, and of course the research is done by the companies that make the product-Coca Cola and Nestle, but it claims to be the calorie burner. They claim that if you drink 3 cans a day, you can burn 60-120 calories. Each can has the equivalent of a cup of coffee. I'm not a coffee drinker, but used to get my caffeine kick from soda. Lately, I have switched to Enviga, and love the taste. They have berry, citrus and plain green tea flavors. They are carbonated and taste great. The plain one doesn't taste as well as the other two, but I have been putting powdered gatorade in it, and it taste exceptional. So now I get the energy kick that I need, plus the electrolytes. I think people just need to take caution no matter what they drink or consume. Anything in excess can harm you, even water. I try to space the recommended 3 throughout the day and never have more than 4 throughout the day. As for the basketball player that collapsed after taking 4 Red Bulls, I think it had to do with the fact that he comsummed all 4 at once. I think that people know that caffeine stimulates the heart, but too much caffeine plus physical exercise on top of that is just too stressful on the heart.
Eva

Hi Teresa! I have to honestly say that although I have heard of Red Bull, I have never actually tried it. But my general opinion of energy drinks is not a favorable one since suffering a bad experience on one myself many years ago. I'm sure the ingredients (as well as how much of them) play a huge role in the "special effects" of each and every labled sports drink.

My best advice is to listen to the little voice in the back of your mind. If your questioning if something is good for you, perhaps there is something about it that has given you a "red flag" of concern to make you ask this question to begin with.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck!

Hi Teresa! I have to honestly say that although I have heard of Red Bull, I have never actually tried it. But my general opinion of energy drinks is not a favorable one since suffering a bad experience on one myself many years ago. I'm sure the ingredients (as well as how much of them) play a huge role in the "special effects" of each and every labled sports drink.

My best advice is to listen to the little voice in the back of your mind. If your questioning if something is good for you, perhaps there is something about it that has given you a "red flag" of concern to make you ask this question to begin with.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.