Recovery week

Debinmi

Cathlete
Hi Cathe & crew,

I'm approaching the end of an STS cycle and have appreciated the gains. Cathe always stressed the importance of recovery time both during a workout and a full week off heavy weights between meso-cycles. I've been considering options for follow-up rotations and have been wondering about recovery needs. So, when creating our own rotations, or even doing a Cathe monthly rotation, how often and for how long, should we incorporate a recovery week/period? I note that Cathe usually puts a recovery day or two in her monthly rotations, but don't usually notice a full week. TIA, Deb

Yea, I have notice that on STS Cardio And Strength that like Day 34 to Day 40 or some like that the program wants to rest. But, to me that is like a long tome to rest? What do you do in the mean time??? Can you take a walk?? Or does the program wants you just to rest and don’t do any workout?? Thanks Jen Den

PS. I have thought about doing the STS Cardio and Strength, but when I saw the long week of rest, I couldn’t believe it! Thanks for asking the question!

Great question that I'd love to find an answer to!! I work out most days of the week but lately I've found I'm more sluggish/moody/irritable after a few months of constant training (with my weekly rest day included). I read that taking a full week off isn't a bad thing - taking the time off can help with all these issues and make you more likely to look forward to workouts again by giving your body a break. But I find it SO hard to do! I can manage a few days then start thinking I'm slacking... and start thinking I'm a bit too obsessed if I can't give myself off! Thank you for the question as well! :)

Every fifth week I give myself a week off. A “week off” means:
Light compound weight exercise
Walking or hiking with my dog
Swimming for fun
Painting my dining room/laundry room/kitchen cabinets
Lots of gardening

I’m still moving every day, but I’m letting my muscles rebuild and mostly rest from strain. It also resets my brain. Works well, recommended.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.