RECOVERY CHECK-IN WK OF 8/21!

tralaiven

Cathlete
hello!!!

I hope everyone is continuing to exercise as they can during their recovery!!

Today...I walked!!! 4 miles with my DH. This was the first substantial walk I have done since July 7th, that fateful day.

I am still dealing with pain/discomfort, but not as intense.

If any of you out there pray...I would ask you to pray for me and DH today...we have a very difficult relationship situation (not between us-with others) we have to face tonite over dinner! Thanks!

Hi Tracy, I also walked today, 5.25 miles. Felt good, the achilles is a bit tight but that's to be expected. Also my hammy's were screaming at me by the end. Wow it felt great.
Sorry to hear you have problems in your life, good luck, and I will be sending my prayers.
Hope everyone else is having a great active day today.

Tracy ~ Good for you, walking 4 miles. Not only great for the body, but good for your spirits too. I can tell you that the pain will continue to lessen in your shoulder, but there is no way of getting around the fact that this is a long recovery. You are doing great, especially considering it has only been a little more than a month since your injury.
Sending prayers for your encounter today.

Glenda~ 5 + miles today! :)

I completed my first day of the Peak Fit Challenge. Today was Pure Strength. I really enjoyed this workout. Michelle Dozois is a great instructor. I had to modify some of the moves and lighten the weight amounts on my left side, but I still got a great workout.

Enjoy your day!

thanks Glenda and Sarah for your encouragement! You are both doing so great w/ your exercise.

Glenda: are you power walking?

Sarah: I hadn't heard of Peak Fit...but I found the website and that looks terrific! It looks like sthg I would like to do when I am more recovered...I like Michelle Dozois too

Tracy - I wouldn't call it power walking lol!, took me 1:32 to walk 5.25 miles. This is a loop I usually run, so it felt great to get out there. I have my xray tomorrow morning, hoping everything is good and I can work my walks into runs. My running group starts up again next Monday evening, I am going to join the walkers until I'm told I can start to run again.

Sarah - I checked out the website for Peak Fit also, it does look like a lot of fun. Looking forward to hearing about your results.

My purchase of the Peak Fit Challenge coinsided with Michelle's price reduction of the program. IMO~ it is INCREDIBLY reasonable!! I had a few of Michelle's workouts prior to the Challenge, and really liked them and her. I researched the program by previewing it on her web site and reading reviews, to include the Video Fitness forums and they are beyond positive. Since receiving it, I reviewed the DVD's and they are great. Michelle obviously put a lot of thought and effort into this program. It is very balanced between strength and cardio.
Once you are healed, Tracy, I think this would be a great choice for you.
I'll keep you and Glenda posted.

Hey girls!

I hope everyone is busy recovering, thus the quietness on the check-in ;) . I haven't checked in since idk when. I've been trying out the elliptical for a few minutes here and there to see how I do w/it, but nothing intense enough to be considered a workout. I seem to be handling it ok, so I may be able to throw it in to the rotation here soon. My workouts so far have been:

Mon: S90 Chest/back
Tues: S90 Ultimate Ball and 5-10 minutes on elliptical
Wed: MMA Boxing (minus lower body drills/jumping/pivoting)

Sarah
: I'm interested in your review of Peak Fit, as well. I'd looked into it a couple of times, but have SO many unused/unwrapped fitness DVDs, it's not even funny. So I suppose I'll wait for you to enable me :p

Glenda
: Yay for walking! Hope the xray went ok.

Tracy: You're walking, too! Ya'll are making me jealous, lol. The most walking I do is around the house (when necessary, at that!) It's amazing how you NEED your achilles to function properly, even for the most tedious of things, lol. I'm getting hopeful at the prospect of the elliptical, it's looking good so far.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Hey everyone!

Sorry I've been MIA. I am a bit ashamed or embarrassed or maybe just a bit disgusted with myself that I overdid it a bit earlier in the week. Once my therapist cleared me to lift weights, I jumped right into Cathe's Slow & Heavy and did as heavy as I could stand. Bad move. My hand/wrist was hurting pretty badly for about 3 days. I was so mad at myself. I can't seem to do anything half way. :rolleyes:

Being proactive with my recovery is good, but I really didn't need to try to be superwoman!

Anyway, I am much better today, but haven't done anything. Tomorrow is my final day of therapy and she will be measuring my total progress. I'll update tomorrow!

Hope everyone is fine and that your healing is coming along great!

JeanneMarie~ Don't beat yourself up, just regroup and move forward at a gentler pace. I can totally relate to your situation because I did it myself. :eek:

Kiki ~ I am happy to enable you :p and I too have DVD's, still in the shrink wrap!

This is my 3rd day of PeakFit and I am still impressed by this program and loving the workouts. Tomorrow is a stretch day, but I am going to substitute with a yoga class.

Hope all is well with everyone in our check-in group!

Sorry I have been a flake-azoid about posting...things have been emotionally stressful around here so I have not done anything since our Monday walk. I am thinking about going and getting my 8 lb weight and doing my left arm weight work and squats though.

the good news though..I have been so concerned about fitting into the dress I ordered from JCrew for my son's wedding... I ordered it before I injured myself, so I have been so concerned about fitting into it...because I was working out and exercising like 10 hours per week. However,... I weighed myself this morning and I am down 7 pounds since the injury! I am so excited. I am at about the weight I was in high school...and 4 pounds from my goal of 139....(I am 5'9"). I have been careful to watch what I ate...except when well-meaning friends would bring over killer desserts when they brought our family dinner. Anyway...I am so thrilled!... Of course...I am not as muscular as I would like, but that will come when I can get going again.

I think the reason I have been able to lose the weight is because I am not as hungry as when I workout so hard. Before the injury I would be absolutely famished and eat like there was no tomorrow sometimes...making it difficult for the weight to come off...

runninggal: thanks for the updates on PF. I really think that this will be one of my first purchases when I get up and running.

jeannemarie: I totally understand what you did...that has got to be more common that not...I did this about 3 weeks ago. But it is good that you are sharing it here so that I can take it as a warning for me.. I hope your wrist feels better soon.

kiki: it is so amazing how one part of our body affects our whole body isn't it? I never would have thought my shoulder was involved in so much of my general bodily movement. I don't remember reading what your dr. has said about this whole situation...??? What did he say?

Hi ladies!

I have once again been remiss about checking in. Sorry!

I am much better with my strained hand. I figured out that it was my hand that was hurting... not even my wrist. I would say, oddly enough, my grip was affected strength wise more than anything. It's hard to hold the weights in my hand, even though I have the strength to lift them. Anyway, I took a few days off and I'm good again. Moving forward once more!

I have been running 3 miles each day... sometimes more. It depends on when I can get out there. It has been so darned hot that most of the time I have to go either very early or late at dark almost.

Today I did Cathe's Pure Strength Chest/Shoulders/Triceps. Felt great!

Tracy, your story about fitting into the dress (congrats by the way!) reminded me of my initial problem when I first broke my wrist... and that was keeping my weight from getting too low. I struggle to maintain my weight, and working out and running is what keeps the lbs on. If I don't work out, my appetite drops and so does my weight. The first week I broke my wrist, I lost 5 lbs. I was able to gain it back within a few weeks though, especially once I started running again.

As far as the muscle part of it... that is going to take time. I seriously lost muscle tone in my right arm. Even 6 weeks out of the cast, I can still see a noticeable difference in the size of my right and left arm.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.