Recovering from an appendectomy

sme702

Cathlete
Okay everyone, I'm home today after spending the last two nights in the hospital due to an emergency appendectomy (yes, my New Years eve was aweful!). Any ideas on how long it took you to get back to normal?

My stomach muscles are so sore from the surgery (thankfully it was just the scope kind) I can barely move! Plus I gained 7 pounds from being in there!! How the heck can I gain weight on a strict liquid diet, not eating at all on Saturday, liquid diets on Sunday and Monday, home today to weigh myself thinking "I've got a handle on this holiday weight gain" only to gain weight!!! Life isn't fair....:-(

I know I can't exercise until I see my doctor next week, but how long did it take you to feel even like exercising?

Thanks
Sheryl

Sheryl,

I hope you are doing better. The weight gain is actually from the anesthesia, that normally takes a couple days to go away. I am not sure how long you have to wait to exercise. When I had my appendix out I was cut open like if you have a c-section right at the bikini line. I was out for six weeks and when my surgeon sewed me up he didn't sew each layer of muscle so now I have an indent were the scar is. No matter how trim my stomach is it always looks like I have pudge.
I know I wasn't much help but I hope you feel better soon. Happy New Year.

Steph

The third day after the surgery the water weight begins to disappear.

I would wait until your appointment to have your staples/sutures taken out and ask the surgeon what he/she thinks regarding your working out. Everyone is different and your doc will be able to tell your progress.

If you feel up to it, a bit of walking is fine. I just wouldn't do anything high intensity until that appointment.

Hi Sheryl...sorry to hear about your Not-so-fun NY's Eve! Hang in there...you'll be back at it in no time.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Okay, not to scare you, but here's my experience with appendectomy:

In 1986, I had an emergency appendectomy. At the time, they didn't do the scoping procedure, and my recovery was very long. It was a good two weeks before I felt well enough to do a whole lot, and even then I was sore.

Fast-forward to last year: My friend had an emergency appendectomy. He got the scope. After what he went through, I'm glad they sliced and diced me in 1986. During the scoping procedure, they accidentally ruptured the appendix just a little bit. Since my friend wasn't cut open, they didn't know that some of the lovely poison from his appendix got on his liver as it was dragged through his body and out his navel.

A few days go by and he was in pretty serious pain. He thought it was part of the recovery, because, hey - it WAS surgery after all. After a couple of weeks and he's not improving they took him back in to the hospital and tell him he's developed an infection. They dose him with some meds and send him home. Within 24 hours, he's so sick he's barely mobile, but somehow gets himself back to the hospital. He's admitted again, and this time they discover the septic infection that has resulted in his liver from the appendectomy.

Long story short: My friend almost died. The doctors didn't think he'd make it. He was in the hospital for weeks, and had tubes in him for another couple months after being released from the hospital. He lost so much weight I hardly recognized him. Luckily, he's back to 100% today.

HERE'S MY POINT: Since this was an emergency appendectomy for you, too, pay close attention to your body! If you aren't feeling better in a few days, or start experiencing even worse pain ANYWHERE, you get to your doctor pronto and get them to check you out! You could go from a 2-3 week recovery to a 3-6 month recovery real quick if your appendix ruptured even a little bit and they didn't catch it. This is why I don't like the scoping procedure of appendix removal - too much margin for error! If anyone out there has to get an appendectomy and you have the option to be sliced and diced, I recommend you go that route instead! I think it's a lot "cleaner".

Hey, Sheryl, give it a few weeks. If it hurts, don't do it! And don't let pain pills mask the pain so that you stretch and pull things that shouldn't be stretched and pulled just yet. If you give your body the time to heal properly, you'll be back faster than if you push it. Even if the nurse says you can exercise, listen to YOUR body. You know it best. Speaking from experience here. :)

Good luck. Watch lots of movies and pamper yourself. :)

April

Sorry to hear about your bumed new year....take it easy listen to your doctor and your body...I had mine out when I was eight...the first day of summer break....four weeks of pure toture no swimming, no bike riding, and a nasty scar....at least you shouldn't scar and its too cold to swim...have a blessed New Year and get well soon.

Hi Sheryl,

I had this happen to me earlier this year in March!

Thankfully, I did not have a bad experience as has been outlined in a prior post, and I did have the scope procedure.

It was really not a bad recovery, but I have had a C-section, so nothing compared to that, of course!

Start out slow and as others have said, listen to your body. I would say that I felt like walking fairly quickly (within 10 days to 2 weeks). So, I started slow and kept increasing my distance.

I was doing ab work within 6-8 weeks, post surgery and again listening to my body and not pushing too hard. It felt strange at times around my belly button as things were healing, but I always slacked off if things got uncomfortable.

For cardio, before I could get back to Cathe, I bought some of those shorter Carribean workouts (I've forgotten the instructor's name right now), but they were 20 minutes or so. Then, surprisingly quickly, I worked back up to Cathe. Of course, listen to all your doctor's instructions about exercise. My doctor told me to do what I could at my own pace.

I think that once the swelling has gone down, etc. in the next week or so, you will be surprised at how quickly you feel better. Hope you get well soon! Keep us posted.....

Sandra S.

Hey ..

I had the scope .. had my appendix removed and scar tissue scraped from the walls of my abdomen and intestines .. I was up and walking in about 2 days w/a pillow (not exercising - just moving). It took me the full 6 weeks to be comfortable enough to actually exercise as I know it .. and another 2 weeks to work my abs.

but since I had the scar tissue issue it probably made my recovery a bit longer than just the appendectomy.

Take it easy .. listen to the Dr. .. and don't push too hard ... if you push yourself b-4 it is time you could do more damage and cause scar tissue to build up - which is a problem w/in itself.

Good luck .. and relax .. give your body time to heal!

HTH!! :)

Wow, thanks to everyone for your well wishes and for your advice!! :)

I go back to the doctor next Thursday for my follow-up. Right now I feel better, my best friend --the pillow-- is no longer needed, thankfully. (well, except for when I cough or sneeze).

I have absolutely no desire to work-out yet; not even walking. But when I do, I will certainly take it easy on the exercise and work my way back up to Cathe -- when my doctor gives me the okay!

Thanks again everyone!
Sheryl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.