real or fake tree?

janie1234

Cathlete
What will you do this year and when will you put yours up if you haven't already? Colored or white lights. I've never been a colored lights girl but my kids hate that I force them into white lights every year.

Janie, I'm with your kids. I'm all for colored lights and I like the ones that blink on and off at different times. I love just staring at the tree and watching the lights. It's a very peaceful time to me and I can watch quiet activity. As far as when to put the tree up, I say the sooner the better. It just brings cheer to the house which I'm sure most of us wouldn't mind having. I don't care if it's real or fake. Either one always works for me. Happy tree trimming!!!!!!

Bam

fake white tree with white lights(pre light tree) i did gold ribbons and green bows with a gold angel and various ornaments. we haven't discussed getting a new tree but i usually grab what looks good and is on sale so who knows next year i might wind up with a fake green tree with colored lights or something. i love my white tree though.

kassia

Living room - real tree, white lites, shimmering ones on the inside, steady lights on the outside. Burgundy/gold/silver theme.

Our room - fake tree, amber and white lights, gold/purple theme

DS's room - fake tree, colored lights, and colored C9 lights, ornaments in all colors, and (eek) green garland w/ silver and red candy canes. Its a kid's tree thru and thru.

Basement - fake tree, white lights, silver/gold/fruit/nature/woodland theme.

All the day after Thanksgiving.

Nan

And in the bathroom, a pink sparkly bottlebrush tree on the back of the toliet.

The year I have to have a fake tree is the year I don't put up a tree!:p Because our tree is real, we put it up two weeks before Christmas, and take it down New Years day (or the day after, if it falls on a weekend like it does this year.) By that time, I'm ready to be done with it. We use colored lights, both mini and large, and we use lots of ornaments from our childhood and stuff we've collected over the years. No ribbons or matching ornaments or themes. Our tree is fun, warm, and funky. And I can't wait to go get it next weekend!

I have to do fake trees because my dog pees on the real ones. ahhhhh. I love the smell of the real thing. I like white lights and I just found these mini yellow led lights. So yellow and white for me.
We do an ornament exchange every year at Thanksgiving. We each bring one and then draw names and we get the ornament from the name we draw. It is fun and adds lots of different ornaments to the tree. It makes it very special.
I like homemade ornaments better than fancy ones.

I prefer a real tree, but we switched to a fake one several years ago. By doing so, DH and DD no longer have the sinus problems that the real one would cause. I have to have colored lights. I like to leave the tree up until little Christmas (Jan 6th , also know as the Epiphany), but DH usually wants it down after New Year's. As for when it goes up that just depends on when I get around to it. There have been a couple of years where it didn't get put up until just a day or two before Christmas.

real tree which we get about a week before Christmas because our living rooom(the only room which a tree will fit) has a wood stove and it dries out quickly.

Fake tree all the way, with alternating strands of color & white lights! We just did ours today. I love the fake trees because the longer it's up the better IMO. We usually take it down around the 1st weekend in Jan and keep the lights running every night. It's very peaceful.

Fake tree for us. It is just me and my husband so I bought one of those small, optic fibre trees with a color wheel that changes colors. It is just the right size for us. I also take a large glass hurricane container and fill it full of ornaments. I also put out our stockings. The cat has a stocking too and they all go on the fireplace. The Christmas wreath goes on the front door.

We dont do a lot but we sure enjoy what I do manage to do. :D

Tree is already up. Artificial, but big. Someone was getting rid of it a few years back and I picked it up, in perfect condition. Don't have to deal with pine needles. Since the whole point about Xmas decorations is to create excitement for the kids, I no longer decorate our tree, I let the kids do it, exactly as they want and they can have as many gaudy, multi-coloured lights as they can fit on it. Time for tasteful later on, if I can be bothered, when the kids are grown up and gone or want to be more tasteful with me.

Clare

Clare~ I totally agree with you!! I am shocked at my friends who don't let their kids touch the tree! My kids decorate the whole entire thing (and then went to both grandparents' houses to do the same thing!). It looks...interesting :) and I love every inch of it! Plus, they actually work together for several hours, which almost never happens!

Merry Christmas!
Jenn

Real tree. I always like to put it up as soon as we bring it home. When we get it depends on the weekend schedules. We may be waiting until the 18th this year (have a trip planned next weekend that we may have to cancel). Have always had multi-colored lights.

Sherry

Real, it goes up Thanksgiving weekend if we haven´t traveled and gets decorated in bits and pieces. When my kids were home we always decorated it together, now I usually do it (DD18 is still home and if she´s around she helps ;))

Colored lights...no blinking...I love the festive look of lots of color.

The decorations are simply things that we have collected over the years, including paper ones that the kids made...they are all meaningful and for me that´s what make the tree.

I like tinsel, the kids don´t, but I get my way on that one!

I love Christmas :D

I love the smell of a real tree, but hate throwing it out, and also DH has allergies so we got a 9 foot fake tree pre-lit with white lights a few years ago and we absolutely love it. It's in 4 pieces and goes up in 10 minutes. We always put it up Thanksgiving night and take down after New Years. I love white lights but my husband and son love color, so I got to keep white on the tree and we did colored lights on the house. They're all on timers, which IMO are the only way to go! I love Christmas!

Clare~ I totally agree with you!! I am shocked at my friends who don't let their kids touch the tree! My kids decorate the whole entire thing (and then went to both grandparents' houses to do the same thing!). It looks...interesting :) and I love every inch of it! Plus, they actually work together for several hours, which almost never happens!

Merry Christmas!
Jenn

When my kids were really little, the bottom of the tree would be full of ornaments and the top would be pretty empty. As my kids got older (teenage boys), the top of the tree was full of ornaments and the bottom was pretty empty. Now, my 7yo dd is pretty into decorating the tree, so she does the bottom, my boys do the top and I do the middle - perfect!

I love every inch, too - it's awesome and we always have a great time putting it up together. :)

Oh - we have a fake tree. I have allergic kids and I don't think a real one would work well for our family.

Erica

Merry Christmas!
Jenn

i help my DD along so its not all clumped in one spot LOL but she gets to do most of the tree. sometimes b/c of her autism space perception is an issue,she forgets there are other sides of the tree. but overall she does a good job although she is embarrassed by the homemade ones from school with her pictures on them. those are my favorite ornaments though :D

kassia

My DH is big into real trees so we have always gotten real. Usually we get a 11-12' tree for the living room and decorate it in white lights. That's the one that is seen through the windows and that's how we decorate the outside of the house. In the family room though we put a smaller 7' tree and decorate it with colored lights and any funky off the wall ornaments we have collected. This year, that's the only tree we are doing. Bringing home a mammoth tree for the living room was getting old!

Well...I've always been a fake tree kind of girl...because I hate to throw the tree out, and I hate the needles and watering and just the inconvenience of it...I feel like it's such waste...and for the last 3 years, my hubby had made me get a real tree.

This year, money is tight and I mentioned to him that I really wish I had my fake tree because I really would rather spend the money on things we need...even a couple things we want, instead of buying a tree. So, he said he was going to see about bringing my old tree home from work. It's not huge...but we live in a condo...perfect...4 and a half foot tall and doesn't take up my room.

I sure wouldn't mind after the holiday looking for a bigger tree on sale.

Ugh...i hate when Money is tight...

No trees for us, fake or real. I'm back in school and finals don't end until the 21st. I'm having my 2nd knee surgery on the 23rd. We really don't enjoy decorating. My daughter has never enjoyed it either. We do wrap the banister in ribbon and light and hang stockings from it, though.

I guess that I just can't stomach cutting down a tree that size to sit in my house. I also don't want to spend money on a fake tree that could go to presents and food for my family.

Apparently, this makes me evil and my daughter is abused, according to my mother...:rolleyes:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.