RE: Sleeping problems

kpage1230

Cathlete
I am 54 years old and have recently started to have problems sleeping at night. I wake up many times nightly, sometimes hourly and am also having some "internal thermostat" issues. I am usually always colder than those around me, but during the night I wake up just burning up. Assuming I must be starting menopause, I'd like to find a natural sleep aide as opposed to any type of medication be it prescription or OTC. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have been fighting this for years!! I have a small fan by my bedside and use it nightly. My doctor told me to use Extra Strength Estroven. It didn't work for me. Then I read that eating yams helps the hot flashes and night sweats. That didn't help either. These things might work for you, though. I have also heard that Melatonin helps with sleep...but you can't take alot of it (maybe half a pill) or take it for a long time. My friend took it when he was in Iraq to help him sleep. It worked for him.

Melatonin never worked for me, unfortunately, but I do use Natural Calm when I have problems sleeping. It's a magnesium supplement that effervesces in hot water and it really helps relax you and helps you sleep. You can find it at health food stores like Whole Foods, but it's a lot cheaper online. I've found individual packets on sale at Whole Foods...it's good to try out, then you can buy a container of it if you like. As for the night sweats, sorry but I can't help you there.

Theoretically, I'm not even in peri-menopause (isn't that what it's called?) yet, but I do have problems sleeping and with temperature regulation in the night. I read an article that said even though it's counter-intuitive, sleep with socks on. Something about how if your feet stay plenty warm, then your body doesn't make the rest of you any warmer. I have been trying it for a few weeks now and it seems to help -- at least with the temperature regulation -- I still have sleep issues!

ETA: Be careful with the melatonin. I heard a psychaitrist on the radio saying melatonin supplements are a really bad idea, because the body starts to get confused about making its own melatonin and pretty soon your body may not make any of its own anymore.

-Beth

>ETA: Be careful with the melatonin. I heard a psychaitrist
>on the radio saying melatonin supplements are a really bad
>idea, because the body starts to get confused about making its
>own melatonin and pretty soon your body may not make any of
>its own anymore.

It's possible to encourage your body to make its own melatonin. What it takes is dark. Even light from an alarm clock can reduce melatonin production.

Use light-blocking shades on the windows, wear a sleep mask (the best ones I've found are in the travel section of some stores: rather than just a flat, thin black mask that can be uncomfortable, they are molded to allow natural eye movement during sleep.

If you take calcium supplements, take them in the evening: calcium is a natural sedative. (But don't take them too close to bedtime. Give them some time to go down before you lie down. About an hour before bedtime).

Camomile tea is relaxing, and you can also find other relaxing teas at a natural food store.

Valerian root is a natural sedative. I took caplets while I worked night shift a few years back. I found it worked better than OTC sleeping pills, which just left me in half-asleep twitchy la-la-land. Only drawback is that it smells awful, like concentrated teenage boy dirty sock smell. I kept the bottle in two ziplock bags and held my breath when I took them.

If you like tea, you can get it in that form, too. Republic Of Tea makes one: http://www.republicoftea.com/templates/detail.asp?navID=1560

They add a lot of spearmint which sort of kills the smell. Plus it's rooibos, which has oodles of antioxidants.

I started taking Valerian Root about two weeks ago in a desperate attempt to try and sleep through the night. I can't honestly tell if it's working or not.

I fall asleep the second my head hits the pillow but I wake up hourly at the minumum. It's awful. I'm never in a deep sleep. I suffer from sleep apnea too so nightime is a constant struggle. I also (at only 24 years old!!!) have wretched night sweats. I wake up completely soaked almost every night. I've had nights where I have to change clothes many times and sometimes even shower. It's awful. My nightime "thermostat" is completely off. I've tried everything.

I empathize with you 100%. I'm going to keep trying different things until I find something that helps. I'm beyond desperate. Good luck to you. Hopefully we can figure this out!

Having said that, I'm off to bed. Here's to a no-sweat, sleep-filled night!

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Thanks for the input and empathy everyone! As someone who used to sleep like a rock and never wake up during the night, this has become very frustrating. Thankfully, so far I have not felt really drug out during the day due to the restlessness so that is a blessing. My quest for a solution will continue. . . .

Kathryn,

Melatonin is created during the day when your body is exposed to light, its why you feel really wiped after a day at the beach. I work nights and used to use it to trigger sleep. Sleeping in a bright room however may confuse the body in calculating a "zero light" condition and thus screw up production during the day.

The problem I had with melatonin was it didn't keep me asleep. "Mr Prostate" would wake me up to go potty and then I payed hell to get back to sleep. Getting old is not for wimps!

Kpage... is there a stressor in your life that might have brought it on? new person at work, a life decision to be made?

>Melatonin is created during the day when your body is exposed
>to light...

I've always heard the contrary. And I can't find anything that corroborates melatonin being produced by light. In fact, there are several articles online that link lack of melatonin production (DUE TO CONTINUOUS EXPOSURE TO LIGHT) to increased risk of breast cancer.

Allison,

Have you spoken to your doctor about the night sweats? She/He may want you to get your thyroid checked.

Allison, didn't you say that you have sleep apnea? Has your doc tried one of those breathing machines? One of my friends uses one and it has done a world of good for him.
Kpage, I take Gaba to sleep. It is what my doc recommended. It is supposed to relax you and it seems to help me sleep well.
LD
http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL395/10721112/19111645/307955868.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.aspartamekills.com/mpvalley/

Do you drink a lot of "diet" drinks or eat a lot of sugar-free stuff? If so, check out the symptom list in this link. I know the article specifically discusses breast cancer related to aspartame consumption (and the entire article is VERY informative for anyone who decides to read it), but the symptom list does point out insomnia/sleep problems.

By the way, nightsweats and fever are also on the list, albeit the list of complaints from the Gulf War soldiers, but it's worth looking into. And didn't someone say numbness and tingling in their arms? Maybe that was in another thread. At any rate, that's on the list, too.

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=47343

Here is another possible explanation for the night sweats. Ironically, I used to get really sweaty at night and just realized when I read the link that when I stopped eating gluten several months ago, my night sweats stopped. I also dropped several pounds and feel a lot "leaner" now. I had apparently been allergic to wheat and gluten for years and never knew it...I just knew that I always felt yucky. Not anymore! :) Not since I've been gluten-free....but the initial withdrawal was a bit uncomfortable.

Hi! I treat insomnia along with nightsweats and 5-palm heat A LOT in my clinic - I'm an acupuncturist. Five palm heat is heat felt especially in the hands, feet and chest. In Chinese medical terms, our diagnosis indicates yin deficiency.

The yin is the nourishing, cool energy in the body and includes blood. Yang is the heat within the body and the energy that triggers metabolic functions. Yin and yang in balance creates optimal health.

When the yin (cool) energy is depleted, as in menopause, the yang (heat) energy seems excess in relation. This may manifest as heat signs such as hot flashes, insomnia (heat agitating the heart), and night sweats. The deficient yin can not restrain the yang, so at night, the yang (sweat) floats out.

Menopause is caused by the depletion of yin. More women are going into peri- and menopause early these days because of their lifestyle. They work long, hard hours, they eat late at night, they work out too long and too hard, they lived stressed out and tiresome lives - this all depletes yin energy.

One patient of mine in her early 50's thought she was going through menopause. She began having nightsweats, insomnia, hot flashes, and emotional mood swings/crying and her periods had become irregular. I've treated her for other things in the past. She is a high level competitive ballroom dancer and practices hours and hours a week.
My treatment - Nourish yin and blood, clear deficient heat and calm her shen (spirit). All her symptoms were alleviated after only a few acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. - Even her periods became regular again.

I rarely post on acupuncture because it doesn't seem there is an interest in it on this forum. However, I know what causes these array of symptoms and how easily it can be alleviated or at least improved. I really hope this helps some of you out there. Edie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.