Raw food cookbook?

amybajamy

Cathlete
Any recommendations?

I'm not planning on switching to a mostly raw food diet, but would like to increase the amount of raw food that I do eat. So I'm looking for ideas for what to eat. Especially grains. What do you do with grains if you don't cook them???

Thanks!

Hi Amy,

As a suggestion - try the library. I have taken out so many cookbooks, exercise books etc... they have books on raw 'cooking' at many locations near me. it's a great way to try things out without spending money. a woman named botenko? seems to be an early starter on all this. heck, even carol alt has a few books on raw 'cooking' as well. raw is fairly straight forward - delicious - not cheap - and you often have to hunt for ingredients. lasagna took hours. you need equipment. vita mixer, dehydrator, mandolin etc... for starters. it's fun to dabble for sure. have fun.

Alissa Cohen- Living on Live Food, and Also anything by Ani Phyo, she has wonderful raw food books. You can get Ani at the library but Alissa's only at Barnes and Nobel or Amazon ect...

Enjoy

I was on a high-raw diet for over 9 months. I basically didn't use grains (except for pseudo grains like quinoa and buckwheat that I soaked and germinated. Sprouted raw buckwheat that is then dehydrated makes a wonderful cereal, with a crunch like Grape Nuts. It also can be used in place of nuts in some recipes.). You can sprout wheat, rye, etc, to make breads, but I personally feel grains (from the grass family, not the pseudo grains) are not necessary, or even that healthy. Read "Grain damage," for example, for reasons why.

For recipe books, in addition to the ones mentioned (especially Ani Phyo's books), I recommend "Becoming Raw" by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina (good nutritional overview by two registered dieticians), "Raw Food Made Easy for One or Two People" by Jennifer Cornbleet (easy-to-make recipes that don't use a dehydrator or high-powered blender), Kristen Suzanne's books (tasty recipes, but the books are pricey for what you get, IMO).

Rene Oswald has some excellent recipes as well, and a "Transitioning to Living Foods" program (she often has a deal where you can get all her books for a good price). www.reneoswald.com .

All of the above avoid the excess fat that is in some raw-food recipe (not 'cook';)) books.

You can also find videos by Ani Phyo, Rene Oswald and others on Youtube, and there are a lot of web site (some by the above-mentioned authors) where you can find info and recipes.

Another good web site: www.purejoyplanet.com (Elaine Love's books are also good, as are her DVD's).

HTH!

Last edited:
To make searching easier, I would suggest looking up "low fat raw vegan" in order to avoid the "gourmet" raw food recipes that tend to take a lot of time, and, as Kathryn mentioned, tend to be WAY too high in fat. It will only make you feel worse. I would avoid the supplement trap, as well, of powdered "this" and powdered "that" that many recipes require. It gets expensive really quickly :).

Frederick Pautenaude (sp?) has some DVDs that are good.

Just to let you know, most low fat raw vegan recipes don't include spices or salt, so if that's something you don't care about, you can easily add your own.

I am allergic to tomatoes, but one of my favorite raw recipes used to be raw "noodles" (a good cucumber or zucchini "spiralized") with a sauce of tomato, sun-dried tomatoes (probably not truly raw), basil, orange juice, red pepper and maybe mango or dates for sweetness. LOVED IT. Eating this everyday for a few days is what made me realize how allergic I was!

Green smoothies are an excellent way to get in more greens (and raw stuff). I also make salad dressings with a ton of greens blended in it just to get as much as possible... For example, I blend the juice of two oranges, some braggs amino acids (not really a raw food), cumin, pepper, garam masala spice, and then I fill the blender the rest of the way with spinach and cilantro or parsley. Pour it over the salad.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.