Quick poll to mothers of daughters

If we're going to make disrespectful, snap judgements about individuals based on their clothing, well alright:

I am soooooo tired of seing naked to the waist young men strutting or running about town, with their t-shirt in their hand to mop the sweat, deluded into thinking that because they think they are physical reincarnations of Adonis, the entire female population must also think so and other guys must therefore envy them. Why do they think it is acceptable for them to be strutting about half naked in public? Put it away.

Personally, I find it arrogant, delusional, disrespectful and totally unnecessary. Bodily self-display is not merely a "penchant" of the female gender.

I also dislike intensely the sight of youths dressed in jeans and pants several sizes too big for them, so big that they hang down the back exposing either butt crack or their underwear elastic band at the top. Why would they ever entertain the idea that we want to see their underwear or, God-forbid, anything else, and that this could potentially be found attractive?

I can only hope that a daughter of mine would never invite the guy with his jeans hanging off his backside to the Prom either.

Women and girls are not the only humans whose bodies are read for the signals they transmit: and it's about time the male population wised up to it. Can we stop judging people based on their VPL, and can we educate our offspring to stop doing so also?

Clare

I'm a teacher. I vote for uniforms:) :) :) . Think of all the attention clothing has just recieved in this email. Now imagine teaching pubesent middle schoolers!!!!, Panties are only the tip of the iceberg! I say this kind of tongue in cheek, but the reality is I fight for the attention of children on a daily basis.

I hate being the clothes police. I've gotten in trouble by my principal on several occasions for neglecting this duty. I just see other things as more important. Uniforms would mute the issue. There is so much on my plate, kids apparrel is just one more thing to have to deal with, and I would rather not!!!!!

I am also a mom of two girls and a boy.

hopefull

I love school uniforms!! I wore one for 5 years and it sure made mornings quick and easy. Things have changed a lot in the 20+ years since then. My 15 year old daughter went to high school this year and wore a uniform to school. This was the first year that the kilt was actually a 'skort', (a skirt with a short insert). Part of the reason for this wardrobe adjustment was the problem of some girls wearing too short (and I mean SHORT!) skirts and, yes, you guessed it,...thongs. You can just imagine the 'thong throng' at the bottom of the stairs looking up and enjoying the view (that hasn't changed since I was in high school.;-)) This problem is solved to a point with the skort but, some girls have cut out the insert because it's 'too hot' and some girls with kilts of a decent length roll them at the waist to make them shorter. Skirts are supposed to be 2" above the knee at their shortest, most girls comply but not all. Despite the few that push the limit the students look pretty sharp in their uniforms and I know that my daughter loves not having to lament about what to wear every morning.

Take Care
Laurie

Hi Ladies,

I'm not a mom so hope you won't mind my comments. (But I am an administrator at a middle school so I know what you are dealing with.)

I couldn't help but remember back to when I was 16 years old (ages ago in the mid 70s). It wasn't the question of what kind of underwear you wore, but whether or not you actually wore any. I probably didn't wear a bra until I graduated from college and underwear, well...back then not wearing it was the only way not to have panty lines in those oh so tight Sassoon jeans:eek:

One thought though, if you let your daughters wear thongs be sure to have a talk about hygiene. There have been a number of studies published about an increased rate of vaginal infections in thong wearers due to the thong's close proximity to the anus.

And on that pleasant note, thank you for letting me butt in:7

Debbie Russo

Gotta love an administrator with a sense of humor!!!!;-) You really can't do the middle school scene without one! (a sense of humor, and an administator with one!!!)

Hopefull

I never said that my sons strut around half-dressed and wearing clothes that are too big for them. My sons do not show their underwear either. My sons wear shirts in public. My sons do not have a double standard for themselves and for their girlfriends. They believe that underwear stays under clothes and that people who show their underwear have one reason for doing so. You might have a different set of standards, but for my family, showing underwear is completely inappropriate for people of all ages and both sexes. Frankly, I don't want to hang around with a woman who has her underwear hanging out, so I don't see why my boys are so evil in your world for feeling the same way.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.