Questions on shin splints

jewels5

Cathlete
I'm hoping those who have had shin splints or know something about them can help me. I went to my Orthopedic doctor today for some intens pain I've been having in my lower leg for a couple weeks (thought maybe I had a stress fracture or pulled a muscle?). No stress fracture, but she did say I have shin splints. She prescribed an anti-inflammatory drug and recommended I go to physical therapy. And btw said to hold off on any impact (including low impact) and to avoid lunges and squats!

I'm curious how I got these, as I wear cross trainers with orthotics and my flooring is supposedly safe (purchased thick puzzle mats from greatmats.com and was told it is safe for high impact aerobics). I was a runner for years and have been active all my life and never had them. She suggested getting new shoes, which I have been wearing for about 7 mos.

If you have had them, did you rest completely to heal them? Is it necessary to go to PT? If you could advise me I would really appreciate it! She recommended swimming and leg extensions, but I don't belong to a gym and my workouts are limited to Cathe's DVDs (but I own many:D) in addition to the elliptical and walking my dog.

Thanks for any feedback!

Julie

Hi,

So you don't run anymore? Old shoes are definitely a culprit for runners, but I would have thought less of an issue if you aren't running.

In any case, PT is great - they will help you with any muscle imbalances you have and help you avoid the problem in the future. Is there a reason you don't want to follow your doctor's advice? Do you think she's wrong about it being shin splits?

Hey Julie! OWWWWW! Not fun! In Classical Stretch shin splints are brought up a few times - I'll have to look over my dvds and figure out which ones feature repairing them. Will send you a PM over the weekend!

I just listened to a podcast by Two FIt Chicks and a Microphone that covered this issue. The were talking about running mostly, but the guest covered issues with shin splints and how to recover from them. It's a free podcast you can get it through iTunes or through their website at http://www.twofitchicks.org.

Hopefully, this will give you some ideas!

ETA: Also, just because you don't run, doesn't mean you can't get shin splints! It is more common with runners, but 7 months is a long time to wear a pair of workout shoes if you work out everyday and especially if you do it multiple times a day. As an instructor, I was replacing my shoes every 3 months! Overuse is what causes shin splints. If you do a lot of squats, lunges or jumping movements, you can still get them.

Last edited:
I've had numerous bouts with shin splints, but there was one time I thought it was a stress fracture. Severe pain on the inside of my leg starting at my ankle bone and running maybe 6 inches above. Stairs hurt and it even hurt to the touch. It was actually "posterior tibial tendinitis" caused by over-pronation and muscle imbalance. PT was fantastic. But you need to really find the right therapist - my guy is super intense and painful :) He worked w/ me on exercises for the imbalances along w/ stretches - we did stuff there as well as 3x/day at home. He also did some kind of medicine patch to alleve inflammation that was delivered electronically (I can never remember what it's called). That was 8 years ago. It will come back if I slack off on my therapy stuff. If I ice after workouts and get back to the exercises for my ankles it goes away.

Jen

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I have another question...did you all continue your running/workouts while recovering from the shin splints?

morningstar, I don't think my Dr. gave me the wrong diagnosis, I just didn't realize the pain could be so bad with them. I am not opposed to PT, in fact I've gone in the past for knee issues and loved it! It's just that I have five kids and it was difficult finding the time to squeeze it in. ;)

Thanks again. :)

Until I got the "okay" from my PT go get back I followed his instructions and did NOTHING. And that was really really hard. But I do believe it was necessary. And I never knew something like that could hurt so bad either, which is why I prefer to call it "posterior tibial tendonitis" because it sounds more painful! :)

You can run through shin splits, although it may not be recommended. You can run through ITBS too. You have to shorten your runs, modify, stop when in pain, etc., but you can keep running, and should, according to my physiotherapist.

I walk around w/ an ice pack taped by my legs for about 20 minutes after every run. This helps a lot.

It's my personal fashion statement. This spring the arm sling combined with huge t-shirts was my other fashion statement (I had shoulder surgery). Hey - whatever it takes to keep moving!!

Wow, jcm, sounds like you've been through a lot. Sorry about your shoulder.

The reason I was asking, is when I had PT for my knee the doctor and PT gave me opposite instructions for exercises (doc said no lunges and squats, PT said DO lunges and squats!). :confused::eek: This time the doc said I could do cardio through the shin splints as long as it was low impact and I felt no pain before or afterwards. I am addicted to cardio so I'll take that.:cool:

Thanks again!

I hate when you get conflicting advice!! If it's not causing you pain go for it. Do you ice? I buy those gel ice packs and use ACE bandges to put them on so I can still stretch and walk around - not sit for 20 minutes. I can definitely tell I'm running/lifting using a 38 yr. old body that has birthed 3 children. So much for telling myself I'm still 23. HA!

Jen

gel ice packs

I don't ice as often as I should as my "job" doesn't allow me the time, lol! Do you buy any particular ice packs? I didn't know there was such a thing you could wear!?

I hear ya on the age/birthing! I'm 43 and have birthed 5 kids, and after each one my joints felt a little looser.:( Although I think in my case lack of sleep over the years has been part of the culprit. ;):p I'm not giving up though. :D

I stay home w/ kids so laying around w/ an ice pack is NOT an option! Can't remember the brand - I got them at Target in the first aid aisle. They're maybe 7" long and 3" wide. I bought four since I ice both legs during the day. Then I just bought two of those stretchy ace bandages, wrap it around the ice pack on my leg, set the timer and keep moving (stretching, getting lunches, snacks, dressing barbies ... blah blah blah). This has really made a huge difference. I was laughing w/ a friend this morning that morning workouts are soooo much harder now! I used to hop out of bed at 5:30 and run or do Cathe. Now it's more moan and roll out of bed and become desperately aware how much I need that warm up! I can only imgine what it would feel like if I weren't active!! Yikes.

Jen

hey julie - just my 2 cents about dr's advice, and i do not mean to be a contrary, but your dr is telling you to lay off the impact so you don't make it worse, as in make a stress fracture, which from myunderstanding, is what can happen. i too am a total cardio addict, and i turned a foot stress fracture into a complete fracture ( 3 times as long to heal) by not resting initially. biking would be a good compromise, but i think even an ellipticalis probably not low impactenough. as for squats and lunges, many people who have imbalances do these incorrectly. i bet a pt would tell you its okay to do thenm once they got you back in line. i have had great experience with pts, and i was fortunate enough to have one who would see me super early to accomodate work and kids and husbands. hth!

I had re-occurring shin splints several years ago. At that time, I was told to throw away my Cross Trainers and wear running shoes for running and aerobic shoes for aerobics. Also, to get those inserts that you put into your sneakers for extra cushioning (a pair for each set of sneakers). I also had to wait until the shin splints completely healed. But I have never had a problem since doing these suggestions! Good luck--shin splints truly are painful.

lovetostep - thanks for the tidbit on the shoes. I wasn't overly happy with my cross trainers and wonder if that's what caused them. I also wear the orthotics and probably should haver replaced them sooner. :(

Nina, thanks for the two cents. I do appreciate it! :D Hope I didn't sound negative towards one or the other. It was just frustrating and confusing. I was lucky to get in with a PT that had a former connection with the doctor I saw. Sorry about your foot fracture. That must have been awful!

Jen - your days sound like mine. I need a little coffee to get me going before anything. :) I'lll look for those at Target. Thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.