Questions for those who have / have done Body Beast

Gobias

Cathlete
Upfront - I have a feeling this will be a long thread, so please bear with me!

I just recently read the 14 page thread on BB and am intrigued. I was looking for a way to continue muscle building. I have done STS several times and get awesome results but want to mix it up. I know nothing about BB other than what I read in the past 2 days and am still confused about a few things:

*I can't figure out what DVDs are included in the program! I keep seeing only 4 DVDs (for 12 workouts total)are included in the basic program. Does this mean the workouts are just repeated over and over? Also, I then read about add-on DVDS (3 Tempo DVDs, Total Body DVD, and Lucky 7 DVD). Are those not included in the program? I just don't want to purchase the program only to find out I then have to purchase another DVD...and another....and another. I definitely want the 3 extra DVDs mentioned above, but it seems that they cost as much as the entire program? Am I just confused? (I am really not interested in the supplements, so don't care if those are included.)

*Where do I buy this? I managed to find it on the main website for $40 + $10 s/h. But that was for the basic program DVDs only. I then found Tempo on Mary's site. I just want to shop around for best price with the most DVDs. (I would like the book/plan sheets also) (also, I keep reading "basic program"....are there more advanced programs?)

*I love STS because of the results but also because of the workout cards and it spells everything out for me and tells me what % 1RM or exact weight I should be using/increasing to. It sounds like BB does not do this? A schedule is provided, but no guidance on the 1RM % we should be using? About what % 1RM do you all use for each phase? I really don't want to be using my workout time to be scrambling around and figuring out my weights. I will just get frustrated and feel inefficient.

*CARDIO! From what I read there is little cardio and it is recommended to be that way. I really need cardio. Will I still see results if I cut down BB from 6 days to maybe 5 days and throw in an extra cardio day? It will prolong the entire program, but that is OK. I see a lot of you kept the 6 day BB program but added in cardio - were the results good? Does cardio ruin muscle build? How much cardio did you do per week?

*NUTRITION: Do you follow the nutrition guide? If you did not, did you still see results? I will be honest, I have tried setting up a food program and counting this and counting that and paying attention to micronutrients, etc. It just hasn't worked for me in that I felt overwhelmed. I just eat a plant based diet (thrown in some seafood and eggs) that is at least 95% clean and that just works for me. I feel nourished and energetic. However, I have no clue as to how much protein/carbs/fat/calories I am getting (I know my diet is fairly high fat). I just eat when I am hungry. I get 99% of my food delivered to me from a local farm and try to get different items every week, so I know I am getting variety.

*Speed of workouts: I read a lot that the speed of the BB exercises are sometimes too fast. Is this all throughout the program? I am also tall and have gangly arms and legs so I will take a few seconds longer that a shorter person. I don't like feeling rushed and probably won't pause the DVD. I could just cut out a rep in each workout, but then am I getting the full benefit?

*ROTATION: Did you do the Lean rotation or the Huge Beast Rotation? I am not worried about getting too bulked up since I am quite spindly.

*LEGS: I read in a few posts the legs didn't get as much time as desired. Is once a week legs enough? When I did STS, legs was also once a week, however I complemented that with a cardio based legs workout and got nice results. But with 6 day BB program, I won't have time to throw that in.

*Good Shape Prior? Should I be in good shape prior to this program? Thee reason I ask is I am getting off a 6 week hiatus from a knee injury. And in those 6 weeks I have basically only done abs and stretches. No legs or cardio. I tried upper body but had to stop (you don't realize how your knee is involved in upper body movements!) I probably have another 1-2 weeks rest then will ease back into Cathe for about 2 weeks (I can just tell all of my cardio and muscle gain is gone :-(

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any guidance. Now thanks to all of you I have to research PiYo!

I have done 2 rounds of Body Beast so I'll try to help you as much as I can. There are 3 phase to BB. Build, Bulk and Beast. There are workouts for Build and Bulk and then for Beast phase you will mix the 2 phases. I don't have the tempo workouts but I hear they are great to change things up. There are 2-3 workouts on the Build and Bulk disk.

You can either get these workouts from Beachbody or Mary whichever you prefer.

You will get different answers about cardio. I believe you dont need anymore cardio. I hate cardio so the less I have to do the better. I wear a heart rate monitor when I workout and I always burn more when I lift than when I do any cardio and all I do is either Hiit or tabata. if you add more cardio you will burn muscle that you are trying to build.

There are work sheets on the beachbody website but they stink if you google body beast worksheets you can find betters ones.

I dont follow the nutrition guide, I'm an IIFYM person and I track everything and make sure I reach my macro goal. But thats me I like it and think its fun. I've seen lots of people have wonderful results not tracking and eating a clean diet. But if you want to build muscle you have to eat in a excess to grow muscle.

Yes some of the sets are fast you can either lighten your weights or pause the video. The progressive sets are killers and get me everytime.

I've done 2 rounds of Lean but after I'm done with STS I'm doing a round of Huge. Lean has cardio, huge goes weeks without it. Depends on what you want.

The leg workouts are hard if you go heavy enough and will drain you and the cardio, well on a facebook group I'm in we call it Legardio. Every now and then I would add the floor work from Gym Style Legs to get a different burn.

I have a friend who did a round of Beast an started a 347lbs. She lost 29 pounds and a ton of inches and if in the middle of round 2. She is doing the program as is nothing extra and if having great success. As with any workouts you do what you can and move on.

With any program I always say do it as is the first time, it was wrote that way for a reason. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I have done BB once. I did it how it was written, and did the Lean Program. Some of the workouts are fast, if you are comparing it to STS. The leg workout had a cardio effect for me, so I did not add in any cardio. I ordered the tempo workouts, they were some of my favorites. Got great results with this program. There were a few of us doing BB at the same time. Hope they chime in. Oh, and I never follow the nutrition guide in a program. I'm pretty tuned in to how I should eat. I enjoyed it, go for it!

Great, thanks for both of your replies.

I did a little more research and am wondering: Does TOTAL BODY workout or LUCKY 7 come with the basic package (or is it separate)? I just can't figure out what workouts come with which packages! I see some sites just say "4 DVDs for 12 workouts". And on BB's website, it doesn't even sell those or the Tempo videos separately.

If I am having this much confusion just *buying* the DVDs, I am in for a long ride!

Total body comes with it, I think. And if you order from Mary since she is a beachbody coach you will get Lucky 7. The tempo workouts are separate.

I can't add much to the answers you've already had - just to say that I loved doing Beast, it was a nice change. Like Karen I did the Lean rotation as written - 1 'proper' cardio per week, plus I also found the legs workouts cardio, as was, to some extent, Total Body, so in effect 2- 3 cardio per week.
Enjoy!

Thanks, I emailed Mary.

What %1RM did you all use for BB? I am the type of person who sets everything out the night before and writes everything down so I don't feel scrambled throughout. Then I make notes as I do the workout as to whether the weight was too easy, hard, or just right.

I am hoping not to use the first few weeks as a trial to get my weights right.

Then did you all increase your weight throughout the program (like in STS?)

IIFYM - never heard of it! Another thing I will have to check out.

What %1RM did you all use for BB? I am the type of person who sets everything out the night before and writes everything down so I don't feel scrambled throughout. Then I make notes as I do the workout as to whether the weight was too easy, hard, or just right.

Hi Gobias,

I have not done Body Beast as yet but I can answer to question above having read the booklet.
My understanding of Body beast is it is a building and muscle growth "bulking" program. So the rep max applying
is 70-80% rep max. It is a hypertrophy program catering the same goal STS meso 2 does.

I ordered my pack from a Body beast coach and it came with lucky 7 and total body DVDs.
Tempo is not INCLUDED. i have just ordered Tempo and waiting for it to be delivered by post.

I did not purchase the supplement and I am intending to do the program as designed. I am not bothered by the "bulking"
fear or myth:rolleyes:o_O:oops:. I will do it as part of the Bodybuilding rotation.:):):)

At this point I have not decided if I will add Hiit short burst or not. I am intending to do the lean program.

I have heard there is litterally no rest time so I suggest you work your endurance to keep up
with the huff and puff on top of pumping the blood flow into muscles;);)
Hope I have answered your question.:):)

All the best,

Total body comes with it, I think. And if you order from Mary since she is a beachbody coach you will get Lucky 7. The tempo workouts are separate.

/QUOTE]

Thanks Farrahalex for your review on Bodybeast...I am planning to do it by the end of 2015.
Your post will come in handy.:)

I got the Basic package from Amazon which includes 4 dvds....2 Build phase dvds (Chest/Tri/Legs and Back/Bi/Shoulders), 1 Bulk phase dvd (which includes all the separate body parts) and the 4th dvd includes 3 workouts (Cardio, Total Body and Abs).

You repeat the same workout for the specified number of weeks, with the goal to increase your weight each time. The Build workouts are longer about 45-50 minutes if I remember correctly and the Bulk workouts are about 30-35 minutes each. I think if you want the Tempo and the Lucky 7 workouts and don't want to spend the money then I'd simply print out the workout sheets and do them on your own. It may be helpful to look at the detailed reviews in the link below if you want to do it that way.

Here is a link to the workout sheets which include the Tempo and the Lucky 7 workouts.

http://sweetlife.sharpefit.netdna-cdn.com/body-beast-worksheets.pdf

Good reviews...

http://dumbbellsanddiapers.com/bodybeast

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Reading various post I came accross IIFYM person and GGS program.
Can anyone please kindly explain what these above stand for.

Alright, I am getting it!

Thank you all for your help. Thanks Stacy for the links and Nathalie for the % info.

Now I am just debating on if I should monitor my food intake. I want to make sure I am getting enough Protein and Carbs, but really don't know where to begin on that.

I am going to add cardio. I have severe asthma and really need to keep my lungs and heart trained at breathing hard. When I stop cardio, I run into many asthma attacks.

Did you all notice you were more cut than after STS?

Yes I was definitely more cut after STS. I know checking, weighting macros can get overwhelming but it's worth doing sometimes. I did it while on one of sts round and it worked. I was surprised :-o

Envoyé de mon D5503 en utilisant Tapatalk

I seem to be getting a little more ripped with STS. I just finished meso 1 which is endurance so that helps. My first round of Beast my Beast phase which is where you cut back on calories and rearrange macros landed over the thanksgiving and Christmas holidays so I didn't do to hot on the cutting process. I still built a nice bit of muscle. My second round I followed it better but I did an aggressive cut and after 2 weeks I crashed. Right now I'm doing STS at a slight bulk and then I'll start Body Beast after that and keep bulking and then I'm going to do a slow and steady cut. I'll probably do Xtrain after my next round of Beast. Tracking macros and calories isn't for everyone I know but it's good to do time to time to see how your body is reacting to certain macro levels and calorie levels. Some people can handle an aggressive cut but I figured out I can not and it screws with my metabolism. I've heard that the new Book of Beast doesn't explain macros as good as the first book they just recently published a new book with a different calorie calculator. Its easier to figure your calories but doesn't give much info of macros.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.