Questions about the Wavemaster Century training bag

BAM

Cathlete
I've never owned one and someone locally is selling the original Century Wavemaster which has been used but supposedly (hopefully ;) ) in great condition for $50.00. Are they any good? I know nothing about them. I will be putting it in a room that I'll have to be able to roll in and out of a corner. Would water be the best option for filling it? How easy is it to remove the water/sand? Are they pretty stable when you start kicking it? Any detailed information you can provide would be most helpful as this is a new interest for me.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Bam

I have a Wavemaster and really like it. It is a very big cumbersome piece of equipment though. Mine is filled (most of the way) with water, I do think the water is a good choice. I have never had to empty out the water and I am glad because it would not be fun. There is a method to moving it and once you know the method it isn't that tough to move. My biggest problem with it is that it slides when I am using it. I use it on a wood aerobics floor that is meant to allow turning motions. I do think that if I put it on a yoga mat the problem would be solved.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Shayne

I got one from my local classifieds last year for $40. It was gently used--had a few scuff marks. It has worked great and has held up very well. I filled mine with water (which doubles as emergency preparedness water storage--at least that's what I told my husband when I brought it home:p). It's really not bad to move when you tip & roll it. I have it in a carpeted area, and it doesn't move much, but I put a rubber mat under it for extra stability. A yoga mat would work great, but I had a piece of that Rubbermaid stuff that is meant to go under rugs. It's a rectangular piece that I doubled up (to make a square). It fits perfectly underneath and stops any sliding.

Anyway, if you can get one for $50, and you have the room, go for it!

I ditched mine for a hanging bag for exactly the reason Shayne mentioned--it moved when I struck it, & I just found it too distracting & irritating to get a decent workout. I'm really glad I did--that hanging bag is awesome. :)

I love my Wavemaster. It does move when I hit it which works for me, because it makes me move, which is more realistic than just standing in one place hitting a target. Of course it doesn't move like a real opponent, but it gets me working on my movement drills. I simply work around the back in a circle so at the end of my workout I am pretty much right where I started.

Then there are days I work control drills instead of power drills and I aim to just brush the bag so of course it doesn't move at all on those days. :)

I love mine as well. I have the XXL and filled it with sand. It's on top of puzzle mats and might move a little but I really don't have any problem with it. I guess I just don't kick or punch as hard as some. ;) It's easy enough to tip and roll out of the corner.

Thanks so much ladies. You're great!!! I don't have a lot of room for it to move so I will definitely use a yoga mat or those rubber pieces to keep it in place. I'll have to get the dimensions of the base so I have an idea of how big it is. I can go and look at it first but it's about 40 minutes away so I want to know that I'm going to purchase it if I go and look at it.

I'm still curious as to how you get the sand or water out of it. I better make sure they're not selling it already filled. :eek:

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of *inexpensive* gloves to purchase?

Thanks again.

Bam

I got Everlast training gloves at Walmart.com and used free site-to-store shipping: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everlast-12-oz.-Pro-Style-Training-Gloves-With-Velcro-Straps/3556754 I have small hands, and these work well.

I tried bag gloves (with the fingers free) but they weren't nearly as comfortable, so I took them back and got the full glove style.

Ooh, thanks so much for that link. I'm definitely going to look into them. My hands are small too. I think I read somewhere that the 12 oz. were the way to go and the ones you have are that. We have to protect our small but powerful hands! :D

Thanks again!
Bam

Last edited:
Ooh, thanks so much for that link. I'm definitely going to look into them. My hands are small too. I think I read somewhere that the 12 oz. were the way to go and the ones you have are that. We have to protect our small but powerful hands! :D

Thanks again!
Bam

Absolutely!;):D They also have pink--I just happened to prefer the blue.

Wavemaster Tips

We not only use Wavemasters in our filming studio, but also in our clubs karate program. Putting your Wavemaster on a rubber mat can help, but also make sure to fill it all the way to the very top of the fill hole until the water overflows. You need to make sure you get all of the air bubbles out as air bubbles will allow water to slosh around and make the bag slide on the floor.

We not only use Wavemasters in our filming studio, but also in our clubs karate program. Putting your Wavemaster on a rubber mat can help, but also make sure to fill it all the way to the very top of the fill hole until the water overflows. You need to make sure you get all of the air bubbles out as air bubbles will allow water to slosh around and make the bag slide on the floor.

Thanks so much for the tip! The Wavemaster that I'm planning on getting is the original one with the very big base so I'm sure it will take lots of water. I'm still trying to find out how you empty it if you need to. :confused: I'm having visions of lots of water on the basement floor during the process. :eek:

Bam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.