Questions about taking Prednisone

LeanneM

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I need some help, and was hoping that I could ask the educated folks here for some advice. :)

To give you the background, I've been having knee pain for a few weeks, and it got much worse last week. My doctor ended up referring me to Orthopedics, but my appointment with them isn't for three more weeks. I ended up going into Urgent Care last Tuesday night since the pain was so bad, and the doctor there gave me a prescription for Prednisone. (He thinks it's my meniscus and MCL that are causing problems.) I've been on the Prednisone for a week today, and I'm having some awful side effects that I'm pretty sure are related to the Prednisone: insomnia; heart palpitations; intense thirst; weird, metallic taste in my mouth; irritability (linked to crummy sleep); etc.

The doctor from Urgent Care had given me a 16-day cycle of Prednisone, one that will slowly taper down. He started me with 60 mg a day for the first four days, then 40 mg for the next four days, etc. I'm supposed to take it for nine more days, but these side effects are driving me nuts. Is it safe to taper myself off it more quickly? Does the dose he gave me even require me to taper it off, or can I just quit it?

Thanks in advance for any help!!:)

ETA: I put in a call to my doctor's office this morning about this, but it sounds like they won't be calling me back until tomorrow.

Hi Leanne:

I took these a few months back for my sinuses to reduce the inflamation. Sounds like a lot of the side effects that I experienced as well. I'm not really sure what dosage I was on, but also did the gradual reduction in dosage as well. Day 1 was 3 pills, day 2 was 2 pills, day 3 was 1 pill, then 1 pill per day for the next week...

It really seemed to work, but I didn't miss it when I was off the stuff... If it is making you feel too horrible, you can always ask for another sort of anti-inflamitory... I used to take one for my knees too after surgery, and helped... but don't remember what it was, as it's been so long... Now that i am back to working out and weight training, my knees are Killing me again, so back to the DR I go as well!

Hang in there...

Leanne - I've never had a problem with Prednisone myself (seems like either me or Montana are always on it for something), but my dad and sister have the same symptoms you are experiencing when they are on it. Their doctors took them off of it and neither can have it now. If the doctor doesn't get back with you soon, I'd give the office another call. He needs to know you're having problems with it. (HUGS)

I had some aweful side-effects from prednisone this summer (I was taking it for poison ivy). I contacted Dr. Fuhrman, and he said just stop taking it (IMMEDIATELY. He felt any risk was outweighed by the risk of the prednisone itself, which can really mess up your adrenal glands). (I was down to 2, 40 mg pills/day).

Tapering off is important with longterm usage, but with shorter term, it's not as crucial.

Just to be safe, perhaps take 1 pill for the next two days, then quit.

I, too, had horrible side effects from the stuff. I don't think you need to taper down at all. I only took it for three days and it has had lasting effects. Let's just say that I never had a problem with insomnia, heart palpitations, anxiety, etc., (not real problems), and now 6 months later, I am on tranquilizers and anti-depressants because the symptoms spiraled out of control. I've had a lot of things happen in my life in the last few years that my doctors want to blame for my problems (and I tried to, as well), but I KNOW when the symptoms started and it was when I took the prednisone. Sorry, but regardless of what I was going through, I didn't have any insomnia or panic attacks until after the steroids. As a matter of fact, my SO always made fun of me because I was always sleepy and ready for bed. I will NEVER take the stuff again unless my life literally depends on it. It has made my life a living hell.

Thank you so much, everyone, for the great advice and help! I thought that I had been imagining all these weird side effects, so it's such a relief to hear that it's not all in my head! I'm going to put in another call to my doctor, and, if I don't hear back from them today, will probably not take it tomorrow.

FidgetQueen, I'm so sorry to hear about how it messed you up! That sounds just terrible!

Thank you!!! :)

Tapering off is important with longterm usage, but with shorter term, it's not as crucial.

Just to be safe, perhaps take 1 pill for the next two days, then quit.

I'd be real careful giving people this kind of advise. Let a qualified medical professional do that. She should contact the provider who gave it to her.

Last edited:
Thanks, Catherine! I put in a second call to my doctor's office and hope I hear back from them today! :confused:

I took a 6 or 7 day round of the stuff for poison ivy I had this summer. Wow, it made my heart rate go through the roof when I tried to run. Another weird thing it did was make my body fat ratio on my Tanita go up by 3% (not sure if it was due to retaining water or what) but it took a good month to get the stuff out of my system. :(

Kathy G

Thanks, Catherine! I put in a second call to my doctor's office and hope I hear back from them today! :confused:

Leanne, that stinks that you have called twice and don't have an answer :( I hope they call you back soon. Rest up and feel better ((HUGS))

Oh,Kathy, that sounds awful! Did you eventually get back to normal with your heart rate and body fat levels? I've been feeling really bloated and just generally icky, so I was hoping to get this stupid stuff out of my system ASAP. The crummy thing is that it's not even really helping with the knee pain! :confused:

Thanks, Catherine! I may bug them again if I don't hear back from them before 5:00 . . . . ;)

Leanne, unless it's an emergency, docs often return calls at the end of the day after they see patients in the office. I know my DH is often returning calls well into the evening -- sometimes as late as 10:00 PM. :eek:

I hope you hear from him/her soon, and that you're feeling better soon, too. HUGS!!

Oh,Kathy, that sounds awful! Did you eventually get back to normal with your heart rate and body fat levels? I've been feeling really bloated and just generally icky, so I was hoping to get this stupid stuff out of my system ASAP. The crummy thing is that it's not even really helping with the knee pain! :confused:

Thanks, Catherine! I may bug them again if I don't hear back from them before 5:00 . . . . ;)

I would Leanne. You deserve a prompt response to your question.

Thanks, Michele and Catherine! I appreciate your concern so much!

I just got off the phone with my doctor's nurse, and she said that she would try to have my Dr. call me back by 5:30 today. If I don't hear from them, then she said to begin to taper off by taking a 1/2 pill tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

I go on that stuff several times a year for my asthma. I have many of the same side effects, I don't sleep pretty much the whole time I am on it. I do find that if I don't tape off the prednisone I spend the next few days sleeping, like I am making up for the sleep I lost while I was taking it. I also eat everything in sight while I am on it, my appetite is totally insatiable. I don't really like taking it, but since it is that or not breathe I guess I can live with the side effects. Good luck to you and I hope it gets better.

Shayne

You can always call your pharmacist too-- they sometimes have better luck getting in to speak with your doctor if you've reported problems. They are qualified to understand your symptoms but cannot offer you medical advice-- only your doctor can do that, and never anyone over the internet!
It's good to hear other experiences but don't let that control what you do-- be safe!!!

Thanks, Amy and Shayne! I really, really appreciate all the help and advice! I never heard back from my doctor's office, so I'll stick with what the nurse told me to do. I just want to get off this medicine! :confused:

Amy, I had thought about calling the pharmacist, but wasn't sure if they could actually give any advice over the phone.

Shayne, so sorry to hear that you have to deal with those awful side effects all the time! You poor thing!

Leanne:

sorry you have had problems with your knee/s and this drug. I have no experience of it, but plenty, recently, of knee pain, so I sympathize! I am wishing you success getting answers from your doc and a speedy recovery. The orthopedic doctor is the person with the answers. Take it real easy until you see him/her, OK?

Clare

Leanne,
It took about a month after I finished taking the prescription for everything to go back to normal. I continued to run but much slower and really watched my heart rate (with my monitor). When it started getting too high, I decreased speed or incline or just walked for a minute to bring it back down. What was really scary for me is my body felt fine physically….my breathing was normal and my legs were strong….but my heart would just race! The same thing for the Tanita readings, it took 3-4 weeks to go back to normal.

I’m glad you got some direction about what to do. I had knee surgery a couple of years ago so I totally sympathize with all the pain you’re going through. Is it the OS that gave you the prescription? I’d make sure to talk to him again about other treatment if it’s still bothering you.

I hope you feel better soon!

Kathy G

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.