Questions about Spasms/Tightness in lower back

JennieR

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

First off, I want to say that I LOVE the new LIS series. Low impact is my friend. :) However, ever since I started the new series when I start a workout, till about midway through, I get tightness in my back. So much so, that I get spasms in my low back and I can barely move. :confused: It happens in most of your new workouts, but moreso in Athletic Training. I've been pausing the DVD and stretching my back. Is there anything else that I can do to prevent this? Should I warm up even longer then you and the crew do? Maybe extra stretching throughout the day of my lower back would be helpful? I work from home, so that would be an easy thing to do.

Thanks for any advice you can give me, and thanks again for a great series. :)

I've been having spasms in lower back as well....mostly during Slide-n-Glide but also in most of the new workouts...thought it was just me.

Hi Jennie! Anytime you start a new workout program, introduce your body to a new movement style or level of strength, there is always an adaptation period that occurs. If the changes are subtle the body will adapt more quickly, however, if the changes are very different from what you are used to, it will be more demanding on the body in which longer recovery between these specific types of workouts would be better (but feel free to do any other workout that your body is already familiar with in between).

Yes, it is always good to do a longer warm up (prior to) and a longer stretch following any new format of training so that the body does not get overwhelmed, or as you have experienced, go into spasm while in the adaptive phase.

Since you are already experiencing these spasms, I suggest to cut back to maybe only two of these newer workouts per week and spread them out with about three days in between each other. You can do any other workout that your body is more familiar with on the other days.

You also want to make sure to stretch your back really well immediately following your workout as to encourage good blood flow to the area as well as lengthen the muscle (to discourage a spasm).

Enter your new workouts cautiously by keeping your weights lighter and your range of motion more restricted.

Stay very well hydrated each day too. 10 to 12 eight ounce glasses of water each day. Eat foods with a good potassium content too.

Unfortunately once a spasm has gotten into a muscle it can revisit frequently if not given proper rest or treated with ultra care. As strange as it seems a spasm almost acts like a form of muscle memory and wants to pull in that exact location again once its been there. So you really need to be cautious through this adaptive phase and institute all of the extra attention mentioned above.

If the spasm still returns, then I would suggest stopping the newer workouts (and doing all of your other workouts that don't irritate the area) until your spasm has fully calmed down and gotten out of its, if you will, "muscle memory" mode.

Good Luck!

Hi Cathe,

First off, I want to say that I LOVE the new LIS series. Low impact is my friend. :) However, ever since I started the new series when I start a workout, till about midway through, I get tightness in my back. So much so, that I get spasms in my low back and I can barely move. :confused: It happens in most of your new workouts, but moreso in Athletic Training. I've been pausing the DVD and stretching my back. Is there anything else that I can do to prevent this? Should I warm up even longer then you and the crew do? Maybe extra stretching throughout the day of my lower back would be helpful? I work from home, so that would be an easy thing to do.

Thanks for any advice you can give me, and thanks again for a great series. :)

Cathe, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. :) Even though I love your new workouts, I'll take your advice, :D and incorporate your other workouts for awhile and follow the other advice you gave me. Thanks again. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.