Question re Sets to Failure on Unilateral Movements

jillybean

Cathlete
Hello! I am in the middle of STS, week 3 of Meso 2. I have a question about going to failure on moves where you do them all on the right side and then on the left. If I fail at, say, 14 reps on my left arm for concentration curls, but can go to 18 reps on my right arm, should I still stop at 14 on the stronger side, or should I use an assist or lower the weight load to get to 18 reps on the weaker side? Just not sure what to do. Thanks!!

Not a personal trainer or physical therapist, just my recollections of what certified folks like Cathe have said, which is to focus on the weaker side. For both sides, choose the weight that maxes out the weaker side and if possible "do a few more reps on the weaker side to get it caught up the stronger side" (quoting Cathe from Muscle Max). Whatever your max weight and reps is on your weaker side, match that on your stronger side...even if it's not actually maxing out your stronger side. Maxing out that stronger side with a higher weight than the weaker side will simply cause the strength disparity to grow, which is what you have said you don't want to happen.

Not a personal trainer or physical therapist, just my recollections of what certified folks like Cathe have said, which is to focus on the weaker side. For both sides, choose the weight that maxes out the weaker side and if possible "do a few more reps on the weaker side to get it caught up the stronger side" (quoting Cathe from Muscle Max). Whatever your max weight and reps is on your weaker side, match that on your stronger side...even if it's not actually maxing out your stronger side. Maxing out that stronger side with a higher weight than the weaker side will simply cause the strength disparity to grow, which is what you have said you don't want to happen.
Thank you so much! Very helpful and informative!!

When I'm lifting light, I start with my right side, which is what most Cathe DVDs seem to do for most exercises. When I'm lifting heavy, I start with my left (weaker side) first and then match the reps with my right (dominant/strong) side. I figure changing it around every so often is probably good for me and makes me think a bit. My main reason for starting on my weaker side (even though it's the opposite of what Cathe is doing) is so that both sides get worked out equally. If I have a moment at the end of the exercise (didn't get in as many reps as Cathe), I'll go back to the weaker side and do one or two more. Oftentimes, the short rest it had while I was doing my strong side allows me to squeeze just a bit more out of the weaker side - giving it the extra exercise it needs to get stronger. My two sides will never be equal. I'm just too busy during the day, and a lot of what I do would be considered light to moderate exercise by most people. I am pretty good at working my two sides out equally for daily tasks such as vacuuming and such, but I have to provide a lot of physical assistance to my son. I most definitely depend on my stronger side for that for his safety. So, I am constantly strengthening my strong side. I have found though, that starting with my week side for any heavy strength training workout and adding a couple extra to that side (when time allows) after working my strong side has lessened the difference between my weak and strong side. My two sides aren't equal, but there's now less of a difference than their used to be, and both sides are stronger and better than they used to be. Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
The only other thing I would add to the above advice is to try in your normal functional life to choose your weaker side as much as you can to perform your daily activities.

Oh, and I have also let the stronger side lightly assist with the last few reps on the weaker side if I'm real close

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.