Question on creating a workout

mbmundt

Cathlete
I put together a kickboxing/boxing workout and a low impact interval training workout for two classes I was supposed to teach at a retreat. Unfortunately the retreat got canceled due to lack of interest. I'm a personal trainer so even though I had lots of fun putting these workouts together, it left me with a question for group instructors. How do you keep count while guiding and motivating the class. Cathe has taught me "what you do to one side, you do to the other." Does it take practice to be able to keep count and guide and motivate at the same time or is do you have someone doing the counting for you so you can count? What is the trick?

After doing a lot of the Cathe Live, she doesn't always do the same count for both sides and she even admits it. But I even noticed that some of the people working out count for her and sometimes tell her or she will even ask. Even they are off sometimes because not everyone is on the same beat. But most of the time, it's all pretty close and I still get a great workout. I'm sure with practice you will do great.

When I was teaching I had a habit of sometimes getting off track with my count, practice does make a difference over time.☀️

Does it take practice to be able to keep count and guide and motivate at the same time or is do you have someone doing the counting for you so you can count? What is the trick?

I must admit that I am not a group fitness instructor, but as others have noted, even the amazing Cathe loses count sometimes! I think that's why she always has Cedie (or another cast member if Cedie isn't there) to help her with counting in her videos. Maybe ask a class member who is a more seasoned exerciser (who can catch on to the moves more quickly and not need form pointers) to help you count?

Ultimately, speaking as someone who has attended an embarrassingly high number of group fitness classes, I like it when things are as even as possible on both sides, but I'd much rather have a fitness instructor who is engaging, energetic, and fun to keep me motivated than have an instructor who is so concerned about keeping count that he/she loses the fun factor. (Not saying that that's what you do--just a general observation.)

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll do great whenever you actually get to teach those classes! :cool:

Lisa

I put together a kickboxing/boxing workout and a low impact interval training workout for two classes I was supposed to teach at a retreat. Unfortunately the retreat got canceled due to lack of interest. I'm a personal trainer so even though I had lots of fun putting these workouts together, it left me with a question for group instructors. How do you keep count while guiding and motivating the class. Cathe has taught me "what you do to one side, you do to the other." Does it take practice to be able to keep count and guide and motivate at the same time or is do you have someone doing the counting for you so you can count? What is the trick?

I have been teaching for 11 years and have found that there is always someone in the class willing to be the "counter" because I tend to add more reps if someone isn't keeping track. while I am very "even" in my counts side to side, I tend to say " You are doing so good let's add some more!" or "You all are looking so good give me a few more" - Not too bad when teaching a kickboxing combo but they really hate it when we are counting plyometric reps or pushups!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.