question on circuit vs cross training

workingToBeFit

Cathlete
Looking at the catalog, I am seeing some videos listed as "circuit" like low impact circuit, and some listed as "cross training" like body max 2. I have read the descriptions and I can't figure out what is the real defining difference between these categories. I am probably missing something but they look very similar to me. Can someone explain the difference. Thanks in advance!

~ Ann ~
Aim for nothing, and you'll hit it every time!

Circuit training, which involves interspersing bouts of cardio with bouts of resistance training (usually with free weights or bands) could probably be considered a form of cross training because it mixes up cardio with resistance.

Cross training, in general, means that you vary your modes of exercise: rather than doing step, or running, or kickbox, or swimming to the exclusion of all other formats, you in fact do a variety of formats. And cross training also by definition means that you are doing cardio AND resistance training for muscle strength and endurance, rather than just doing strength / endurance training while omitting cardio.

Body Max 2, for example, includes a pure step routine, a step with lower body free-weight resistance routine, and then resistance training with free weights and stability ball for the upper body, and then an ab routine. Cross training at its best.

A-Jock

Well, I'm not really sure, and I'm saying this based on the experience I've had with the videos I have but I think the main difference is the rotation of the excercises...

Circuit feels to me like: step, blast, weights, step, blast, weights, step, blast, weights... one right after the other. While cross training does not necessarily has that same format. It does have a variety of activities, but it can be all step first, then all blasts, and finally all weights. This is mainly comparing the original format for LIC vs BM2.

I'm not sure if anyone else has a different opinon, but that's what it looks like to me... Hope that helps... !!! :)

Circuit training originally refered to a style of weight training (primarily) where machines were set up in a circuit (different 'stations'---literally 'circuits' because set up in a circular fashion) and you would go from one machine (thus one body part exercise) to the next with little rest between moves. Cardio can also be added to the mix (ie: if you're at all familiar with "Curves" and have seen their commercials, their program is a weight/cardio circuit, where exercisers go from one machine to the next, and stations also include cardio platforms to run or jog on.)

"Cross training" refering to a single workout seems to be Cathe's own particular use of the terminology, as I don't recall seeing it used this way elsewhere, and can include the same type of exercises as in a circuit workout, but presented in 'blocks' (ie: a 20 minute block of of step, then 20 minutes of kickboxing, then 20 minutes of weights) rather than going from one exercise to the next.

Hi and many thanks to those of you who answered! This is a great help, every single post added to my understanding of this.

~ Ann ~
Aim for nothing, and you'll hit it every time!

Trust in the LORD with all your heart.

great thread! so, what is the most effective? i have heard for years that AWT, which i think is the same as circuit, (is that correct), is the best way to workout. but , of course , you have to change it up too, so you're body does not adapt.
cathy

>so, what is the most effective?

Effective for what?

Circuit training is a time-efficient way to get weights and cardio in the same workout. Interval training is more effective at burning calories than steady-state cardio. I find weight circuit workouts (which Cathe doesn't do a lot of, but Tony Horton does) to be a time-efficient and effective way of allowing for muscle recovery during a workout,and they burn more calories during a workout than straight-set weight workouts.

1-2 interval workouts a week is a good idea for anyone who is looking to reduce body fat. Cardio/weight circuits are good when fewer days of the week to workout, or to use once a week during which you also do separate cardio and weight workouts. Weight circuits are good to use in a weight-reduction program.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.