Question: Lean Muscle vs. "Bulk"

1gruntgal

Cathlete
First off - here's wishing Cathe had a very happy birthday! Hope you did something fun/special!

Anyway - My question is:
How to avoid "bulky" type muscle in favor of leaner/defined muscle.
Apparently, my body type has the tendency to build muscle easily. I love to lift, I also love cardio. Is there a suggested way to work out to avoid "bulking?" I have been told less weight, more reps. However, when following a DVD, sometimes I feel "cheated" if I use less weight.
Any suggestions? Could this be heavily influenced by diet? I eat pretty healthy. Lost 50 lbs. last year on Weight Watchers but have put a few back on :( but I am committed to trying to stay in great shape!!!

RE: Question: Lean Muscle vs.

I am also interested in Cathe's answer to this question.

Cathe, very often during your workouts, you mention not to let the muscle you're working completely relax on the negative movement. I saw a trainer on television within the last couple of weeks who said that women who want lean muscles should always take each rep through the full range of motion because maintaining constant tension tends to bulk up the muscle. Can you comment on this?

Thank you,

Nancy

I also build muscle very easily so I just maintain a moderate weight with my workouts. I try not to go over 35 lbs. with leg work such as squats and lunges. My lower body gains muscle quickly so I have to be very careful not to go too high with weights. I also love to lift. My upper body is the same, although I can go quite heavy with my chest and biceps. When I start seeing a big difference in the fit of my t-shirts, I know when to back off. Just listen and watch your body, use weights that will still fatigue your muscles, but not push you to the point where you have to stop. I hope all this makes sense!
Debbie in OH

Thanks for the post. I also build muscle fairly easily and don't want to increase--particularly in my biceps and legs. That said, I don't want to lose any strength, either. Currently, I just don't increase my weights. But when I'm doing a workout, it's hard not to "push" myself. I am very interested in reading the replies. Thank you everyone for your input.

Carol F

I'm in the same boat!! I find that low weight/hi reps - muscle endurance type workouts work best for me.

:)

>I'm in the same boat!! I find that low weight/hi reps -
>muscle endurance type workouts work best for me.

what type of workouts are muscle endurance workouts?

thanks

>
>what type of workouts are muscle endurance workouts?
>
>thanks
>
>

Basically, low weights and hi reps.

Cathe's Muscle Endurance, Power Hour and Legs & Glutes. There may be more but those are the ones I have.

I also use the Slim Series from beachbody.com.

Actually it is possible to bulk type I muscle fibers using low weight/high reps. High reps meaning 50-100 reps per set. So you really need to define "high reps" for purposes of this forum, which I suppose is maybe 15 reps.? It's also possible to gain mass by doing alot of sprint work. People like myself, looking for bulk, combine heavy weight/low reps(9) with low weight/high reps(35-50 reps) to hit all types of muscle fibers. I think for the most part the average woman will not bulk because of their genetic/chemical makeup as compared to men. If you are feeling cheated after a weight workout then you are not working hard enough in my opinion.
It's also important to remember that building muscle, and becoming bulky, are two different things. If you are afraid of looking like a female bodybuilder, I would not worry too much. Most are on something to look like that. You may need to experiment to find what works for you as an individual.
T.

I justed wanted to thank him for giving such a detailed answer to your question. I think it helps all of us. I like the information regarding the muscle fibers, very interesting.

It is interesting, thanks!

But, I think a lot of women want the long, lean toned ballerina look, you know what I mean? It's not that they're worried about looking like a body builder, it's just they'd rather have the dancer type bodies you see people get through doing Pilates, Yoga etc.

Hi Dani!
I think you all should shoot for the "Cathe" look myself! LOL! Seriously, I know what you mean.
I was just saying that I don't really think most women need to worry so much about the bulking up. There is a misconception that high reps will not bulk you up so I just think "high rep" needs to be better defined. If 15 reps is high rep then that's probably good but when you get up around 50 reps you are entering an arena where type 1 fibers are stimulated very much and can be bulked. A weight that can be lifted 15 times is probably too light for bulking 2's and 2a's but too heavy to really bulk the 1's either so it's probably a "safe" rep range for the lean look.
Just as a word of caution I have a seen studies where stretching between sets can encourage muscle growth as well. Very slow eccentric moves will also encourage growth.
Just my 2 cents....
T.
:)

I agree with you Dani regarding the ideal look.

Here's my ques>>>>>don't you need to do Pilates and Yoga to have a Pilates and Yoga body???

I used several of Cathe's Step and weight training tapes to lose my 60 lbs of post partum fat. Am now as fit as i would like to be (5'1" size 0) and feel great. Yet I don't like what the step does to my calves and I don't like super sculpted muscles from weight training.

So now I rarely do any of the step tapes. Do the hard weight training once every 10 days so it feels challenging without upping the weight and do Pilates, lotte berk and speed walking on a hilly road several times a week. Oh and the Karen Voight Great Muscle Workout which is a wonderfully fatiguing 3lb weight workout!!

My thinking is I needed to do the hardcore stuff to lose the weight but now I can maintain and at the same time develop a leaner, less bulky look with the Pilates etc. Oh and I have been practicing Pilates with a Pilates Guild instructor for 6 years. I would never initiate this with a tape only.

Just my thoughts--curious what others have found.

Trevor - what are the Type 1 and Type 2 and Type 2 a's?? Can you explain for those who don't know? What does it all mean? I'm trying to build on my lower body and shed a thin layer fat in the butt, hip area (the only area where there is extra) - how do i do that?

Thanks Trevor!!! :D

That's very helpful!!!

Ines...I'm still trying to figure that out. I have been adding a lot more Pilates to my rotations lately. I've noticed that it is making a difference too.

I also like the Slim Series, which has lots of low weight/hi reps.

I LOVE Cathe's step workouts for cardio though! I love all her workouts! I just try not to go too heavy with the weights.

I am glad that there are some answers here & they are informative. However,I know what I am seeing in the mirror. My arms are "big" for girl arms. My husband knows quite a bit about these things himself. He has described me as having a "mesomorph" body. Whereas Cathe is more of an "endomorph" body type
(see more http://bodybuildingpro.com/bodytypeinformation.html)
What my question is, really (and perhaps I should have stated more clearly from the beginning :) ) is - what is the best way to use Cathe's workouts to get the leaner, more defined muscle. Is this even possible?
One answer has been to use lighter weights & really squeeze the muscle while working out. I can accept that, if that is what I should do. Perhaps it is more of a mental issue for me when Cathe is reaching for 25lbs & I am using 10..haha
I really like doing the Muscle Endurance & Pyramid workouts. So, I am trying to figure out the best way to do the workouts I enjoy w/o getting too "thick."
Thanks ~
Lynne

Lynne...

Hi Lynne, I think this link will answer your questions. The article has 3 parts to it and it explains muscle fibers, etc. For the fat-burning I'd do intervals myself but I don't use Cathe's vids as much as most people here. I work here vids in for a change of pace. Anyway, give it a read....
T. :)

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/musclefibers.htm

Trevor, thanks for the link - I'll read it with great interest! As usual, you are a fountain of information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I think it's all in the genetics. I lift pretty heavy for a female but stay pretty lean (if I get called "brick a$$" one more time......). I also think it's a myth that heavy lifting will add bulk. Women simply do not have the physiological makeup to "bulk up." What women have is much more lower body strength than men, which is why you might see your thighs and rear end get larger when you lift heavier weights. That's when I'd recommend the high reps/low weight kind of workout, although this can be exhausting b/c it will make your workout longer time-wise.

Weightlifting is very important to losing weight as larger muscles help burn fat more efficiently. More and more information comes out every day about how weight training will increase weight loss.

Quote:
"Cathe is more of an "endomorph" body type."

I don't think Cathe is an "endomorph" at all. She is (at least, I think) a classic "mesomorph." I would goes far as saying that maybe she has the slighest hint of ectomorph in her. She is pretty straight up and down from below her chest to her hips.

You are absolutely right. I meant ectomorph. I apologize for my error. :)
I hope I didn't offend...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.