Question for women who had a baby at 40+

lulu68

Cathlete
Hello,

I just got back from my prenatol visit and ultrusound and both baby and mom look healthy. During my visit my doctor told me I would have to come in twice a week starting next week until I deliver September 7th for a non Stress test and for a regular check up. My gosh I don't know if I will be able to attend to all this appointments with me running a home daycare. Is ths really necessary...can I turn ths down? They told me ths was something I had to do. I would love to be able to do ths but I have work, and other children. Please let me know or advice if you gone through this or if you could deny ths tes? Thanks!!

Lourdes

I had my 3rd child when I was 42, and at most I went in once a week. I'm thinking at around 30 weeks I went from once a month to once a week. I vaguely recall having "non stress tests," but I don't think it was every week. I think it was just a couple of times over the course of the pregnancy. Are you in a special risk category?

Lourdes, I'm under 40 but wanted to say..... I am no expert and can't speak to your specific condition but I would think all of those visits would be a bit overkill in a healthy pregnancy! I've had 3 babies and never went more than once a week. You can most certainly deny any test you don't want! It is YOUR body and YOUR baby - you call the shots! Don't let them bully you into something you don't want/need. So many drs treat pregnancy & birth like a disease that needs to be medicated - makes me sooooo angry! Talk to your husband and decide together what is best for your family. (((hugs)))

Well, it was almost nine years ago, so the details are sketchy, but when my second son was born it was considered a high risk pregnancy because of my age and because my first son was born five weeks early with some minor complications. I had to go in extra, but I'm not sure it was that often. Funny, I was due around your due date, I think, and he was born Aug. 29. Not sure I've helped you here! I'd just talk it over with them and explain that it's tough on your schedule and ask if it's really necessary.

Hi Lourdes,

So glad for you that you had a good ultrasound and the baby and you are healthy.:) I had my youngest at 41 (two years ago), and ONLY because he had a serious heart condition (NOT my age) was I scheduled to come in more frequently towards the end of the pregnancy. It's a bit fuzzy for me, but I think I came in once a week in the last month for heart checks in addition to my OB/GYN checkups. On top of that, I think I only saw the Cardiologist once a month after they picked up his heart condition in the ultrasound.

I, too would explain your circumstances. You certainly have enough going on that you don't want the added stress of finding the time to get in there if it's not absolutely necessary, along with all the arrangements that need to be made with your kids and daycare.

For what it's worth, during my third child's pregnancy (I have 5 children) I switched doctors at about 19-20 weeks after feeling pressured and uncomfortable with advice they were giving me regarding a second C-Section. I interviewed other doctors and ended up switching practices. Maybe you could interview other doctors and get their opinions on the advice you've been given?

Hope that helps.

Best wishes for you and your baby!

Julie

Thats the thing everything so far looks perfect, I have passed all my test with flying colors, baby looks as healthy as can be every time they do an ultrousound. The doctor explain to me it was standard procedure because of the age factor. Not only do I have to go twice a week starting next week, I have two appointments everytime I go...One for the non stress test and followed by a regular checkup. I will call them today and explain my situation. I even ask the receptionist if ths was necessary or mandatory and she said yes. On top of having my daycare from home I also have 5 children of my own I need to take care of!!! I'm often told I'm a pushover, I never so it that way...I was just thought it was the right thing to do. Thank you evryone!!!

Lourdes

I only have 1, and I was in my early 20s at time. I went once a week for the first 7 months, then 2x a month for month 8, and the last month once a week. The only tests I took were 1 diabetes test, and 2 ultrasounds, one to confirm the pregnancy and one later to see how things are going.

That being said, I currently have a coworker who is 42, and she is due the 1st week of Aug. She is at the Dr all the time. She went once a week for the 1st couple months, now is going 2x a week for tests and whatnots. However, she has high blood pressure that is uncontrolled w/ meds, family heart and cancer history, and has gestational diabetes, and was pretty overweight before the pregnancy. So she has other, underlying med issues.

Is this the same OB/GYN you have been seeing for a while? If it is, I'd ask him/her if it is really neccessary, esp early on if you are healthy and everything looks good. Explain your situation and promise you'll call if ANYTHING doesn't seem right. See what the Dr says

Best of luck!

Nan

You should also make sure your insurance covers all these visits and tests.

Insurance, thats another thing I have to think about. I was surprise I had to pay for my ultrosound yesterday, I've never had to that before. I will give them a call today and try to work it out, plus I will give my insurance a call too...I don't want to end up with a big bill at the end of ths pregnancy. Thanks everyone!!!

Lourdes

I would see what your insurance mandates, and make your decisions from there.
If the insurance company considers you high-risk, and will only pay for your childcare with that level of frequency, then you're kind of stuck.

But if this is just the doctor being overly cautious, then you can say no keep a more moderate schedule. Or, find a different doctor.

Just wanted to pop in to add a note of caution regarding your wonderful pregnancy so far. It's like investments: past performance is not a guaranteed predictor of future events. There are some conditions that really do come on out of the blue and fairly quickly, which is one of the reasons for the more frequent monitorings.

It may seem like a lot, but it's already July, so it's only about 3 extra appointments between now and Sept, right? (Or is my math wrong? :eek: ) The thing is that one of those appointments may make the difference for you or your baby....

That being said, I totally understand your frustration - maybe you can split the difference with them and come every 3 weeks until mid-August and get your 'extra' count down to 2? I think some of these 'standard' procecures come from the doctors trying to protect themselves from lawsuits, which is sadly a necessity these days.

If you have to pay for ultrasounds yourself, I think you have every right to refuse them unless they suspect something's wrong. The doctor should be able to feel the baby well enough to tell which end is up, so to speak :D Just me sayin', though. I know women who've gone their entire pregnancy without a single ultrasound.

Best of luck to you!! I hope everything continues to go well and that you and baby have a wonderful first meeting in Sept!! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.