question for those who do yoga

sonja415

I took my first couple of yoga classes and wanted to know how often you practice at home or take classes? How many times a week should I to practice to see improvement in my flexibilty? I 'm not very flexible but I can touch my toes and do pretty well with Cathe's stretch dvd, but not flexible enough to do downward dog properly (my heels are not on the floor). Since I started running my body just feels like it needs more stretching. I'll probably practice more at home because of convenience but will hopefully go to class once a week. I know that everybody is different and needs to listen to their bodies, but was just looking for your personal experience. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
M.

From my experience you need to practice at least 3 days a week. The more you do it just like with anything the better you will become at it and the more flexible you will get. Don't rush the process though. At first you may feel tight in your hamstrings and other areas but don't push the poses. It does take a while to see improvement depending on what poses you want to achieve. Balance is key and also doing the poses correctly as to not hurt yourself. I do yoga at least 3 days a week from 30 min to 60 min and sometimes as often as 5 days. I have been doing yoga for about 3 years now and I still am learning. Some days i can breath and do the movements perfectly and other days just forget it. It's all about breathing, finding your balance and enjoying the stretch. I am a runner as well and yoga is key to helping my hip flexors. Karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

I would think doing it even once a week would improve flexibility as long as you stretch after your workouts otherwise. If you can fit it in more often, you will increase your flexibility further and faster. I try to do one full (i.e., 60-90 min) practice once a week and do 10-20 min add-ons after a strength or cardio workout at least 2-3 times a week. Between rotations, I do recovery weeks which focus mainly on power yoga.

BTW, I'm quite flexible, but cannot get my heels on the floor doing downward dog unless I sacrifice the height of my hips in the air, which I feel is more important in this pose. I've been doing yoga for about four years.

I agree with Sooooooooooooosan as I started doing Yoga once a week during my P90X rotation in May of 2004. You do it twice a week on the recovery weeks. I am also a runner as Karen is and it has really helped my tightness and flexibility. I am sure it works different for all of us...:)...Carole

Hey M.

I do (and teach) yoga regularly, full session 2 or 3 times per week and a little every day. You are so smart to mesh yoga with running! For a lot of people nothing tightens up the body more than running and yoga is a wonderful way to balance this out while enhancing your running experiences.

The rate at which yoga will increase your flexibility depends a lot on your breathing and how far you choose to 'push your edge'. If you are deep into a pose but jamming through your breath, or anyway past your personal edge in the stretch your body will NEVER get the message that the pose is a safe place to be and the muscle length will not resonate. The long held stretch on the muscle bellies and tendons together with deep full breathing opens the window to greater flexibility through the parasympathetic nervous system (I love this stuff!!!). That said; if you are practising yoga once or twice a week and stretching mindfully and effectively after you work out your body will open up in it's own time and in it's own way, perhaps just a hair's breadth at a time but trust.....it will happen.

Excuse me for this digression but....regarding your quote...
> not flexible enough to do downward dog properly (my heels are not on the floor>

If you are minding the instructors verbal cues and adjustments as well as breathing into the pose then you are most certainly doing down dog properly. This is YOUR experience!:) When teaching Adho Mukha Svanasana (down dog) I was taught and still teach that you stretch your heels onto or down toward the floor (honestly most people with their heels on the floor are 'cheating' the pose and with the proper adjustments their heels are, once again, searching for the floor). When practising yoga my understanding has always been that if you are truly doing your best then you are doing it perfectly!

Take Care
Laurie:)

Ladies, once again my deepest THANKS!
I truely appreciate all the knowledge that you ladies have. This is really a great forum one can get so much information and their own yoga instructor :7 lol!

Once again THANKS,
M.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.