Question for CATHE/ANYONE

Hi There,

About a year ago I really got into weight training. I was already at my goal weight when I started. I began to progress very fast and lift heavier and heavier 5 days a week. In the mean time the scale went up and I blew up 5 sizes. My diet is consistent, very clean and balanced and I also did plenty of cardio. So I backed off the wieghts added more cardio, less HEAVY lifting (my body reacts great to cardio). I am starting to slim back down. However now I feel more jiggly and it is taking forever to lose the bulk and the pounds. I carry my weight on the bottom half (hips, thighs, buttocks), and when at my goal weight my upper body looks very slim and sickly/bony.

My question is: Do you think HEAVY weights is good for everyone, is there a certain formula that is best suited for me? Do you have any advice for a rotation or plan, and have you ever seen this happen before?

Thanks for your help, and I love all your videos!
Paula:)

We know Cathe is busy and you did add "anyone," which would qualify me! Your decision to back off heavy weights for your lower body is probably a good one - you can get nice results with little or no weights. You said "the scale went up and I blew up 5 sizes," which to me signals that you should take a look at your food intake. Keep a food journal for about a week and really be honest about calorie count, fat intake, etc. You CAN be eating "clean and balanced" but still be eating too much, especially if you've gone up 5 sizes.

You really have to try every method - light weights, heavy weights, to see what helps you accomplish your goals. What were your goals when you started you current method of training?
Just Do It! :)

Hi Paula! Lifting heavy is not for everyone IMO. Perhaps you would be better suited to do an endurance w/out such as Legs & Glutes. In this particular one, your not lifting a heavy barbell just using either one or two dumbbells & ankle weights (if you prefer). You also might want to look into Pyramid Lower Body but only using lighter weights & a light barbell. At the end of this DVD, Cathe does awesome stability ball which works your glutes & hamstrings extremely well. Check out the clips. There's also Freestyle Training which is a book. Do a search on here. There's been much discussion on this. Also for your cardio, perhaps you can incorporate kickboxing if you aren't already. All of my suggestions should give you back muscle w/out the jiggly. HTH, Kathy:D

PS: Honeybunch1 gave you very sound advice. I'm sure you were consuming too many calories. Make sure you start a journal & track every food & beverage into fitday.com as well as your activity.

It may also be worth mentioning that because muscle is made up of mostly water, you will notice some jiggling. I know as women we hate the "jiggle", but there is the good kind and the bad kind. So if you've got the good kind, then be happy about it.
I agree with honeybunch about your calorie consumption. Gaining some weight with weight training is perfectly normal and acceptable. Gaining lots is weight is probably the result of some other factors. I would reiterate the idea of focusing on some quality cardio with endurance work. Don't give up on weight training as the benifits really outweigh any negatives. Just change it up and make it work for you.
Sounds to me like you're on the right track.

Carolyn

Hi Paula,

I agree with everthing else that's been said. I too am pear shaped. What works best for me is lifting heavy for the upper body and light for the lower body. L&G is a great for toning and shaping the lower body, as well as the floorwork in this w/o as well as GS Legs, and PUB. Good Luck.

Diana

Hi Paula, I used to have the same problem. After I kept a dietary log for two months which showed me I was eating 1600-1800 calories a day I figured it wasn't my diet. I kept lifting heavy for my upper body but for my lower body I use my body weight. I also do just the blasts on Cathe's Low Max dvd twice a week. Try continuing your lower body workouts but with just your body weight. Good luck,I hope this helps.

I agree with some of the others about using light weights and/or bodyweight for lower body exercises and heavier weights for upper body. Sounds like my bodytype is very similar to yours. I started doing the Lower body Solution (or Freestyle Training) about 9-10 years ago very hardcore for about 4 years and got great results. Then about 6 years ago I started doing marathons and triathlons (mainly because I saw such a huge increase in my fitness level) and have since used a modified version of the training due to the sports training volume. I knew I had made major strides when my husband commented on how much wider my shoulders and upper body had become! I think the swimming has helped me a lot in that respect too. Typically I have stayed pretty lean with this type of training except in the last 1-1/2 years I have been struggling with a gain of bodyfat which I attribute to a downshift in metabolism and body changes due to my age (just turned 43, argh). So....I'm trying to shake things up a bit with some changes in my training and will start monitoring my eating much more closely. Another idea you migth try is something I've been doing lately with Cathe's leg routines in that instead of resting and/or stretching I'll grab a jump rope and skip, very tough! I'm hoping that will help shake things up for me. Good luck, let us know how it goes for you!!

Cheryl

Thanks everyone, You ALL have given me great advice and things to think about. I have lost 4lbs since I posted this. I backed off the lower body weights, more cardio, and a few less calories have seemed to put my body back in weight loss mode. Even during these holiday parties and gatherings. I have lost weight!!!

Thanks again!
P

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.