Question for all

It's never too late. I know someone who didn't go to college until she was in her 30's and after that she went on to med school. Now, in her 50's she's a very successful doctor.

Go for it.
Shelbygirl

In my opinion, education is never wasted- it makes you a smarter and mentally stronger person.

And heck no, 30 is definitely not too old! 70 isn't too old either.

Definitely not to old. My 18 yo son just started junior college this semester and he said almost everyone in his class is in their 30s.

It's never too late. I'm 37 and plan on going to school when my newborn starts her Pre-3 school, which will make me 40!!!

Hi,

You are absolutely never too old to go back to school. When I graduated from college in 2001 (U of Delaware, go Blue Hens!) my class included a woman in her 70s! If you have the time and the finances to allow it, I don't think you could go wrong. Remember that a degree will greatly increase your chances of finding a job, but also of finding a job that you really enjoy and that interests you. Worst case scenario: it takes some time to find a job? That fact is that you will be a better, more educated person for having committed yourself to getting through school.

good luck!
cristina

Ditto to all of the above. In fact, colleges' and universities' ranks are swelling with students (undergrad, grad and PhD) that are out of the stereotypial 18-24 age group. Educations can get interrupted for a number of reasons, and thankfully higher education continues to respond to the demand of more mature students.

You'll do great. Go for it for its own sake.

A-Jock

There was a man in my law school class who was 71 when we graduated. He was widowed when he was young and had 4 children to raise. He wanted to go to law school, but he had to put his 4 kids through college. After they were all grown and he was ready to retire, he figured no time like the present! He started law school at 68 and was a great student and a great guy to have around. And yes, he did practice law after graduation and is still practicing part time now!

Stephanie

Rubbish. I am 41 and getting my PhD. Going back at 30 actually puts you at an advantage. Teachers like mature students because they take their studies more seriously, they are not there to party, and due to their wealth of expedriences in life they ususally have more to contribute to class discussion, they are more interesting students! It is not too late, it is so not a waste of money and getting a job easier will be easier I would think, rather than harder. Going back to college after your twenties displays a fair amount of grit, initiative, courage and determination, qualities that I would appreciate in any potential employee.

Go back and make it work for you. Gaining knowledge and skills and becoming a more useful, better informed citizen is only ever a good thing!!

Clare

I believe it is unanimous - the answer is NO, a person in their 30's is not too old to go back to school and get a degree. I don't think there is ever an age that would be considered too old to go back and learn more, whether it's for a degree or even just for the fun of it.

"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." Satchel Paige

Absolutely not!!! I just finished my masters and will be 50 in two weeks. and actually considering getting a doctorate. Non-trads are a great addition to the classroom. Finding a job shouldn't be an issue, many co's. hire "older" applicants due to experience gained which younger applicants don't have. go for it!

Thanks to everyone who posted. I start in November! It is really nice to have this forum to get advice and opinions! :7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.