Question about Pure Strength Videos

Hillskip

Hi1 I am thinking about purchasing the Chest/SHoulders/Triceps & Back/Biceps/Abs Pure STrength videos. I have been doing Kathy Smith's Weight videos for about a year now and am ready to move on. I wanted to get an idea about Cathe's videos: is a lot of equipment needed, are they only for super-advanced exercisers, etc. Any input would be great. Thanks!

I am by no means a super-advanced exerciser and I find these tapes superb. Cathe's great form pointers make these tapes easy to catch on to even for someone who's never done weight training before. Although you can do these tapes using only a variety of dumbells (I personally have 5, 8, 10, 12, 15 lb dumbells, but use mostly the 8-10's for these tapes)there are a few exercises Cathe uses a barbell for. I purchased a barbell about 3 months ago and really get a much better workout for those few exercises (back exercises, some chest and some bicep work)that Cathe uses the barbell for. But, if you dont own a barbell, dont let that discourage you because I did these tapes and got results long before I owned a barbell.

Hope that helps,

Stacy

Stacy
Thank you! I fell much better about these tapes if I do not need to get a barbell yet----I want to see how I like them and then get the barbell. Do you do any of Cathe's cardio tapes? Are they all step?
I appreciate it!
Hillary

Hi Hillary!

Stacy gave you some great advice! You will definitely love those two tapes and they can easily be modified with dumbbells. You made the comment that you want to "see IF you like the tapes first and THEN you will get the barbell"~well, start saving for your barbell, cause you are going to LOVE the series. They are wonderful. Consider getting the Legs tape also after you try the other two. You are in for a treat! Let us know how you do. We know it won't be long before you are posting about your excitement of your NEW barbell! ;-) Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

RE: Hi Hillary!

I agree with Debbie, start saving for your barbell...I LOVE mine! And, better yet, I got my barbell with a 100 lb of weight plates all for only $40, it was much cheaper than I thought. I have all of Cathe's cardio tapes and I love them. The majority are all step. Maximum Intensity Cardio has a hi-lo floor aerobics section and sections of Cardio Kicks, Circuit Max and a few of the tapes in the CTX series also incorporate both floor work and/or kickboxing. Enjoy your new tapes!

:) Stacy

Pure Strength series are maybe my 3 favorite tapes of all of my collection--and I have 110 tapes. If Strength training is what you want, these 3 tapes are what you want. (DebH: I bought 5 more today!!--I'm terrible.)

Thanks so much for replying! Today I did the Back/Biceps/Ab video and loved it! Tomorrow I'm going to do Chest/Shoulders/Triceps. And the other girls were right--the exercises can be modified with dumbbells. What other videos besides Cathe do you really like? I have to say, I definitely am a fan of the home workout video thing!
Hillary

Which 5 Murph??

You got the bug!:-gloat I wasn't happy til I had them all!! Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

Told You!

I knew you'd love them! Cathe is definitely my first choice when it comes to step, strength and just plain fun, but I have just discovered Mindy Mylrea. Her new vids look so awesome. You won't go wrong with any Cathe video that you choose. Have fun Hillary! Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

Hi. I love the PS series also, and am on a 3-week rotation doing each video once a week -- until next week when I'll do each video twice.

I sometimes do the upper body videos in the same day, but never on consecutive days. Your muscles need time to rest between days of working them, and you actually work all of your upper body muscles when doing either CST or BBA. For example, when working triceps in CST, you're also working biceps a bit; Therefore, if you do CST the next day, you're working biceps again. So, you're working biceps two days in a row.

Hey - this is just me. I'm not sure if it's right or wrong, but I always put a day in between those two videos so my muscles can get total rest after those fantastic workouts!

Hey Murph!

Isn't it a good feeling knowing that we have them all? Well, at least til the new announcement comes out! :7 What amazes me, is, how GOOD each & every one is! Have fun with your new vids. I'll e-mail you later. I have another class this afternoon and I SHOULD be finishing up getting dinner ready instead of checking this forum for announcements! Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

Will you tell me more about your three week rotation? I would love to do something like that! And I agree with you as far as the one day rest.
THanks!
Hillary

Hillary, I've had the PS series ever since they came out and have done them many times. I haven't done heavy strength in a while, and just happen to have decided to do them again for a few weeks. To build back up to heavier poundage, I'm doing each video once a week for a couple of weeks and then doing each video twice next week. Then I'll be off on another rotation. I usually change my workouts every week -- doing heavy strength one week, endurance (MIS or CTX) the next, lighter another week, concentrating on interval trainining another week, etc. My body seems to respond well to a non-specific rotation of changing my focus every week.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.