Question about IMAX, Interval #6

Minus56

Hello, Cathe! First off, THANK YOU for providing us home exercisers with such challenging and invigorating workouts!! I am fitter than I've ever been in my life, and it's because your workouts keep me coming back for more. I am a Cathe addict.

My question is about the 6th interval in IMAX, the one-legged side-hops. During the workout you stress the importance of really squatting on the landing, and I get the impression that my legs should be really exhausted by this move. Conversely, I find this interval to be a refreshing breather, after numbers 4 and 5. My legs don't feel it much at all, although I am breathing heavily by the end of the interval. I'm wondering whether I'm doing it right, or whether my brain is just still flooded with pain-relieving endorphins from the previous two intervals! I leap, land while simultaneously bending my leg in a quick, relatively shallow squat, then leap back to the other leg. I've tried to deepen the squat once I land, but find that it slows me down when I do that, and I end up getting behind you on the tape. Does it sound like I'm doing this move properly, or do you have any suggestions for improvement?

Thanks very much!
Sandra

Hi Sandra! I too have a very big problem w/this move! I can do everything that Cathe does EXCEPT for this one move. Its very frustrating to me. My feet are literally POUNDING on that step very hard & my legs are KILLING me. I must be doing something very wrong. I can only do about 4 rounds of it. PLEASE CATHE HELP US!!! Kathy;(

I did Imax2 for the first time last night and also could NOT get this move;( ;( . I can usually pick up Cathe's moves pretty quickly, but this one eluded me (I rewound several times). I also felt the pounding feet thing that you did, Kathy.

I'd love some form pointers. Pretty please!!!

Kathy and Gayle, thanks for chiming in on this topic! However, I'm referring to the first IMAX workout, on the DVD with Rhythmic Step and Maximum Intensity Cardio. I don't have IMAX2 (yet ;-), but when I buy it, I'll look out for the interval you're talking about.

Cheers,
Sandra

Oops! Sorry about my confusion, Sandra. :) :) I kinda agree that #6 in orginal IMAX is like a breather, but boy oh boy, do I need it after 4 and 5.

:) Are you referring to the speed skater move? If so, there really is not enough time to really squat because the pace is so fast. I think with this move the emphasis is more on the lateral movement more so than the actual squatting. It sounds to me you are doing the move correctly;-)

I agree that this interval (speed skater) seems really easy. I agree also that the emphasis is probably in wider lateral moves (as opposed to vertical). I like this one though - it's actually fun!

Intensitylisa and Meredith,

Thanks very much for ringing in on this question. I'm reassured to know that it sounds like I'm doing it right, and that others experience the interval the same way I do. I also find it an enjoyable move, relative to the other intervals. From here on in, I shall leap guilt-free! :-D

Cheers!
Sandra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.