Question about buying barbells.

L

Lora

Hi Cathe,
I'm trying to get all set up with the equipment I will need to do the CTX videos. (haven't bought them yet) I had to buy a longer step. Found one at Big-5 for $34.99. They made a booboo and quoted that price over the phone instead of the real price of $69.00 I live 45 minutes away and they were generous enough to gave me the quoted price.

I also needed to get barbells. Since I'm pretty new at this heavy lifting stuff, some of the gals have been telling me a body bar might be my best beat. However as I looked at the cost of them I noticed the heaviest ones cost as much as a 40# set of barbells. So I got this idea of starting out with just the curl bar and then as I get stronger buying the weights I need to add to it. I bought one today and hope it will work alright. It is curved. Should I have gotten a straight one? It weighs somewhere between 10 & 15 #. My scale needs to be replaced too.
happy.gif
It has rubber hand grips. Do you think this will be ok. I figure if I can't lift that much weight right away I can stop and just do what I can. Then as I get stronger I can buy the added weights. This makes it more affordable for me since I have to spend allot of money to get set up for this CTX series. I bought some gloves too. Plus I need some new shoes.
happy.gif

Another question. I noticed that in your descriptions of the CTX and the equipment needed you said, in some that only a 4# or 5# barbell were needed. Do barbells come that light? Don't the curl bars themselves weigh more then that?Just a bit confused. I hope these aren't all dumb questions and that I bought the right stuff. I suppose I could take them back. Thanks for your help. Lora

Hey Lora,

What a great idea that was!! I think you did the best thing about just buying a bar to start with
happy.gif
! I don't know if it being a curl bar will help or hinder, Cathe will know though. Also, I always took the 4#-5# bars to means 4feet-5feet. I could be wrong, cause I never asked. I'm going to keep my eye on this one so I can learn more too
happy.gif
!

Maybe you are right!

Aimee,
I didn't notice if it was a pound or a feet sign. Sure do hope a curling bar will work. I'm up early to try it. Wish me luck. Lora
happy.gif

EZ Curl

Hi, Lora. I just finished a week of CTX using an EZ Curl bar instead of a straight barbell and it seems to work just fine for me. (I also use it in whichever Firm tapes require a barbell.) I think I remember seeing that Cathe doesn't recommend the curl bar for some of the exercises in PS, but I don't know which ones. My curl bar (Weider) weighs 10#s with the stars (or whatever those things that hold the plates on are called.) I like it because it's short enough for me to handle easily.

Your EZ Curl

Hi Jan,
How long is your EZ curl? I haven't opened in yet and I still have the sales slip. How long have you been doing Cathe's tapes? Read your Bio. I'm kind of new here. Lora

Hi Lora!

My EZ Curl bar is about 4 and a half feet long. I've only been doing Cathe's strength work for less than a year off and on (I was in a slump). But, I read a response in another thread (Biceps with barbell) where Cathe recommends a straight barbell, so I'd say if you have a chance to take it back and trade it for a straight bar, you probably should. If you can't though, you can probably get by with the curl bar until you can. I plan to get a straight bar as soon as I can afford it.

I have an EZ curl bar too

I have used it for about a year now with all of Cathe's tapes. I even have used it for leg work with it on my shoulders. It hurts! I need to find a straight one that is not overly long - they feel too awkward. I'd try to find a straight one like others have recommended.

Use EZ Curl for everything

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-00 AT 03:47PM (EST)</font></center>

I went to Fitness Warehouse and had a knowledgeable salesman/personal trainer work with me to select the most comfortable bar for ME! I ended up with an EZ Curl, although I didn't want one -- I thought I wanted a straight 5-foot Weider Barbell like Cathe used in MIS and PS series. The salesman convinced me to take the curl bar home -- he said I could bring it back with NO questions asked anytime I wanted. So I took it home and it was love at first lift.

That was 2 years ago and I STILL love my EZ Curl. I've been using it for all the CTX videos, as well as PS and MIS. I don't find it uncomfortable in the least for leg work, but I always use a barbell pad when it's on my shoulders. Also, some curl bars have more angular curves than others: mine has fairly shallow curves. Mine weighs 11 pounds unloaded and is a little more than 4 feet long.

I also have a straight cheapo Body Pump barbell that I sometimes load up light for warm-up sets and that way I don't have to pause the tape to change my plates. But I prefer my EZ Curl for almost everything: chest presses, barbell rows, squats, bicep curls and so on.

P.S. -- I just read another thread where Cathe said sometimes an EZ curl can make bicep curls seem harder because they're designed for a man's frame. I DO have broad shoulders and long arms -- although not man-sized. So maybe that's one reason I like my curl bar so much.

Bottom line: The most important thing is to try it out for size and comfort. In the store and at home! And a barbell pad is nice too. I keep a pad on my bar for tricep dips with a barbell and for plie squats where you hold the barbell in front. I find it much more comfortable that way. Oh yeah -- get some good gloves too.

Good luck, Lora! You'll find the bar that's right for you.

My Curl bar isn't an EZ curl.

Hi,
Thanks so much for your feedback. My curl bar is made by powerhouse fitness. It just says it's a threaded curl bar 47" long with rubber grip. It is curved. I guess I will just have to try it I out. Thanks again. Lora

Barbell

I have been using the firm barbell,it is perfect for all of Cathe's strength workout,it is shorter than regular barbells and you can use any plates on it,it is easier to change plates plus it is padded which is excellent a bit pricey (50 or 60 dollars,I don't remember i had it for so long) but works excellent for all my Cathe workouts,I use to use the regular barbell, not anymore!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.