PYRAMID Wt Training

Traci-Thanks for sharing this link....I've bookmarked it as well. After my BFL rotation with great success, I'm also sold on the benefits of pyramids. (not to mention that PUB/PLB is my all-time fave Cathe weight workout.)

Gayle

Traci-Thanks for sharing this link....I've bookmarked it as well. After my BFL rotation with great success, I'm also sold on the benefits of pyramids. (not to mention that PUB/PLB is my all-time fave Cathe weight workout.)

Gayle

Gayle- I had forgotten how much you loved your BFL rotation! When you get back into it let me know if the calculator made a difference!

I don't see how this works well for pyramiding like in PUB/PLB.
It gives odd rep counts, like 4, 2.

Would someone tell me how to use this form? Thank you

On the right side you enter the heaviest weight load you were able to do (The exercise is your choice..So example: Bicep Curl)
If you entered 50 pounds for the "Heaviest Set" & click PRINTABLE it gives you the chart below:

SO: If I want to do Bicep Curls in PYRAMID format I'd follow the chart.

If you are using Cathes PYRAMID DVd you could do a "test" for each of the exercises and have a bit more precise information for wt loads to select.

HTH

Below appears as a CHART in the actual website- This is how you COULD do a PYRAMID set but you dont have to do all 9 sets

20% =10 lbs. x 20Reps
40%=20 lbs. x 12
60%=30 lbs. x 5
80%=40 lbs. x 2
100%=50 lbs. x To Failure
80%=40 lbs. x To Failure
60%=30 lbs. x Failure
40%=20 lbs. x Failure
20% (optional)=10 lbs. x Failure

Last edited:
Awesome link Traci! I've been wanting to buy Cathe's Pryamids. This will come in handy for that time. Although, I think you're crazy for thinking past STS right now. :D;)

Wendy

20% =10 lbs. x 20Reps
40%=20 lbs. x 12
60%=30 lbs. x 5
80%=40 lbs. x 2
100%=50 lbs. x To Failure
80%=40 lbs. x To Failure
60%=30 lbs. x Failure
40%=20 lbs. x Failure
20% (optional)=10 lbs. x Failure
It's not hard to figure out how the site works, what's hard to figure out is how this applies to Cathe's Pyramid (or indeed any pyramid) workout.

I still don't see how this helps with doing PLB/PUB, which has sets of 12, 10 and 8 reps.

How would 'basing our weights' on this work any better than the estimates we can do on our own? (I cannot find an appropriate smilie, because "confused" looks more like "eeew" to me! ;))

And even if doing a freestyle pyramid weight workout, would you do a pyramid that goes from 12 to 5 to 2 reps?

This looks more like a version of a 1RM chart (and I'm sure there are others somewhere with more info, like weights for a larger variety of reps).

I still don't get it.

Kathryn~
I dont recall ever saying to use it w/ Cathes PUB/PLB.. I do pyramid training all the time without DVDs~ so its extremely helpful to me. ... It can be applied however if someone is currently just grabbing weights they 'think" they can do for PUB. Its no different than a 1RM. If a person finds it helpful to use to get more accurate weights to lift then its a great tool- if a person doesnt feel it would be helpful- by all means pass on it.

It's not hard to figure out how the site works, what's hard to figure out is how this applies to Cathe's Pyramid (or indeed any pyramid) workout.

I still don't see how this helps with doing PLB/PUB, which has sets of 12, 10 and 8 reps.

How would 'basing our weights' on this work any better than the estimates we can do on our own? (I cannot find an appropriate smilie, because "confused" looks more like "eeew" to me! ;))

And even if doing a freestyle pyramid weight workout, would you do a pyramid that goes from 12 to 5 to 2 reps?

This looks more like a version of a 1RM chart (and I'm sure there are others somewhere with more info, like weights for a larger variety of reps).

I still don't get it.

I still don't get it.

I'm sorry - was my question dumb? LOL! I didn't understand the form...but now I do, so thanks to the person who explained it to me!

Thanks for the information, Traci!! It is always so nice when our Cathe friends send helpful information along! :D I think you are right about the importance of being accurate with your weight selection for what you want to accomplish.....between P90X and STS, I am sold on the pre-work that needs to be done!

Thanks for taking the time to share....:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.