Pyramid Upper and Lower Body Weight Question

KissedbySunshine

I was considering buying PUB/PLB but I looked @ the weight requirement (minimum) and it looks a little low. I know I can go heavier than 5 or 10 or sometimes even 12 on some exercises easily. Especially since the reps are low. I just wanted to through a question out there. Do you use the weights that Cathe uses or do you go heavier? Also what are peoples opinion of PUB/PLB as compared to something like GS series? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Lynette

I know that every time I end a heavy-weight rotation (just did three weeks of S&H) this workout still kicks my butt! I'm not sure why that is, because I've definetely gotten stronger with the heavier weights (I can see AND feel it). I always think that when I do a couple weeks of the Pyramids that I'll be able to heavier, but I really never can! Total DOMS, even if I feel nothing with the heavier weights! I'm thinking it's because it's more of an endurance type weight workout and it's challenging my muscles in a different way. There is NO WAY I can get through hammer curls with 15lbs. as Cathe does at the end of PUB!!!

One reason some of the weights are lighter in the Pyramids is because she does lots of reps. For example, on squats, you'll do:

12 reps, lowest weight
10 reps, medium weight
8 reps, highest weight
10 reps, medium weight
12 reps, lowest weight

That's a total of 52 squats, supersetted with the same number of plie squats, by the way.

So a big factor in the Pyramids is endurance. You need to choose your weights so that you can complete the entire pyramid. The 52-count is pretty much standard through the entire workout.

That said, I do go heavier than Cathe now, and these give me a very good workout!!!

ETA - I love the Gym Styles too. They're very different, and I think you would benefit from both, if you want to get them. The GS's help me to focus on heavier weights overall, especially with the upper body work. And GS Legs is my favorite leg workout.

I can either match or go heavier than Cathe on this work. For instance I go heavier on back and shoulders. I'm working on getting up to 20's on biceps. I can do 4 reps at 20#'s right now. Every time I do it, I try to add another rep.

I love the pyramid workouts. I always get DOMS and I feel that they have helped to make me stronger and give me more definition. I do love my Gym Styles too! I like doing the 3 day split so I can concentrate more on the particular body part. I always go as heavy as I can on all weight workout. I especially love Back, Shoulders and Biceps.

I am currently training solely with pyramid style workouts. Let me tell you, sometimes you can go heavier but sometimes you can't. it depends on your fitness level. I go heavier for the back and shoulders and triceps part...but the chest and biceps...whoa baby!!
15 at my highest to superset the biceps is just right for me. and 20 lbs for flys is perfectly heavy!!

Clarissa

Biceps I can do about 20# tops. Same for Chest. Maybe 25's if Im eager. But I saw @ least in the preview that she was going like 12's which is nothing for me on everything but Shoulders and Triceps where I can only do like 10s MAYBE 12s TOPS on a good day

I can go heavier than Cathe on lower body but match her on upper body.

I think there is less room for growth with PUB than with Gym Styles upper body. I find it doesn't matter how much progress with upper body on S&H and GS I make, whenever I come back to PUB I find myself rarely able to go higher that the weights I used last time I did it, and I think it is because it is more endurance based and has so many reps that the muscles get tired out more through constant repetition rather then from having their strength tested. For some reason this does not apply on PLB where I find I am able to increase the weight quite nicely. Maybe because the lower body for women is much stronger than the upper body naturally.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.