Pyramid - Strength or Endurance

jodijodi

Cathlete
I just did PUB two days ago after not having done it for a while, and I am still sore! I think most people think of it as an endurance workout since there are so many reps, but Cathe uses heavier weights than in some other endurance workouts.

So I just thought I'd throw the question out there and see what people think...is Pyramid Upper Body an endurance workout or a strength workout? Or a hybrid of the two, if there is such a thing?

It depends on how heavy you really go. It is more endurance-based and is good for hypertrophy. If you were really training for strength, you would ideally be lifting a weight that you could lift no more than, say, 2-6 times. Although the video goes somewhat heavy, or gets heavy during the workout anyway once you become fatigued, you really are training more for hypertrophy and endurance than anything else.

Clarissa :)

>Dumb question of the day - what is hypertrophy? :7
hypertrophy = muscle growth

I think it's more of an endurance workout done as-is. The rests between sets (especially on lower body) are far too short for strength. However, if you put a longer rest between sets, it can become more of a strength workout.

I've been trying to use it as a strength workout lately. Inspired by a thread at VF, I've been splitting the supersets and doing either one body part per day or a three day split, using the Pyramid Down premix.

For chest (for example), I start with the heaviest weight I can handle and do the first set of flyes, then rest during the first set of chest presses; next I pyramid down slightly in weight and do the second set of flyes, resting during the second set of presses; finally I do the last set of flyes with a bit less weight, but then I skip back to that first set of flyes and rest during that section. Now I'm all set to do the heaviest set of presses, resting during the flyes...
Doing it this way I can go much, much heavier than if I were doing the full pyramid, and/or in superset fashion.

Wendy

>>Now I'm all set to do the heaviest set of presses, resting during the flyes<<

I've done that same thing with great results; and it's so fun! PUB is very versatile.

I like doing as-is for endurance; the premixes (up only or down only) are great for strength.

Dang, I'm in the mood for PUB right now. :D

Clarissa - I know in other posts you've said you've gotten great results using a rotation with just the pyramids - care to share, pretty please? :D

Yes - I did post my rotation before I think....

It was basically, if I remember correctly:

Mon: Off or yoga or stretching (I can never fully take off! haha!)
Tue: PUB plus HIIT
Wed: PLB
Thu: steady cardio on treadmill or a step video, kickboxing, etc
Fri: PUB
Sat: PLB plus HIIT
Sun: circuit workout (DM or BC) etc

I think that was how it went. It really helped tone me up plus get the "cut". I forgot to mention that I do abs about 5 days a week but no less than 4. Have fun!

CLarissa ;)

>I've been trying to use it as a strength workout lately.
>Inspired by a thread at VF, I've been splitting the supersets
>and doing either one body part per day or a three day split,
>using the Pyramid Down premix.

ooooh, now I'm inspired to try this. Having done PUB a few days ago, I had planned to do some 4DS or S&H for later this week, but I like this idea a lot. I'm going to try this for back and chest tomorrow! Thanks for the idea!

Glad you like the idea :)

I am noticing strength gains doing PUB this way. I feel like I have finally gone up from the weights I've been using FOREVER! I can actually do the biceps with 15, 12 and 10 pounds, and really the 10s are too light. (I've never been able to match Cathe on this biceps section.) I've jumped up to 12s, 10s and 8s for the tricep kickbacks, and I think I could be doing 15, 12 and 10 next week... I usually stick with 8s as my heaviest weight for kickbacks. I'm going heavier than Cathe for all the other exercises.

Now, I don't know what weights I'll be able to use for a different workout, and I know if I were doing PUB as intended I wouldn't be able to handle these weights. But doing it this way really makes me aware of how much of an endurance workout it is when done as designed, and how much more I'm getting out of it doing it this way.

I'm so inspired, and I'm excited to try going up with my weights in other workouts. I never would have thought that 3 sets of 2 exercises per body part per week could give me such great results. (I'm also noticing more definition, but I don't think anyone else would notice it at this point.)

I hope you decide to try PUB this way. Post back with your impressions :)

Wendy

PS This is the end of my thrid week doing PUB this way, however the preceeding four weeks were also one body part per day. I did one week each of PUB (down but not as heavy and not split), 4DS, GS, and S&H. Having done these right before this PUB rotation may have influenced my results, but I really wasn't concentrating on going so heavy when I did that rotation...

I finally got to try PUB as a strength workout today, following the pattern you mentioned. I liked it! I was definitely able to go MUCH heavier with the rests in between sets. (On a few of them I think I could have gone even heavier than I did!) And I like having a little time to breathe, sip water, etc. in between sets.

I got a little confused at times, sometimes forgetting which part of the supersets I was supposed to be resting on, and fighting with my DVD remote to get back to where I wanted to be, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it once I do it enough. Also, there were a couple of parts where her reps were too fast for the weight I was using, like during the bench presses. Not a big deal, but it caught me a bit by surprise.

All in all, I really liked it and I will definitely use this idea. Thanks again for sharing it! :7

>Yes - I did post my rotation before I think....
>
>It was basically, if I remember correctly:
>
>Mon: Off or yoga or stretching (I can never fully take off!
>haha!)
>Tue: PUB plus HIIT
>Wed: PLB
>Thu: steady cardio on treadmill or a step video, kickboxing,
>etc
>Fri: PUB
>Sat: PLB plus HIIT
>Sun: circuit workout (DM or BC) etc
>
>I think that was how it went. It really helped tone me up plus
>get the "cut". I forgot to mention that I do abs about 5 days
>a week but no less than 4. Have fun!
>
>CLarissa ;)

Clarissa,

Just curious, when you got your results doing this rotation, did you do the full pyramid, pyramid up or down? And did you the workout as-is (as an endurance workout without pausing) or did you use it as a strength workout and take breaks between.

For example, for the biceps section, I usually use weights that are too heavy to do the workout as-is and I end up slowing down my reps and resting more between sets. I'd really have to lighten up my weights to go through without pausing.

I'm rambling here, but just want to know what you did to get your results.

Thanks,
Melissa

Melissa - I did full pyramids. Long ago, I also had to go lighter to do the whole thing - but that is what I am talking about!!! It helped me with strength and in the end, I had to do 20's for biceps instead of 15s. Again, I didn't stick with Cathe all the way through, I ended up doing some of my own things. Like lat pulldowns and low rows for back, triceps rope pulldowns and dips with a plate on my lap for tris, etc. I got the basic concept from Cathe and then improvised from there. I miss the rotation. I will probably do it again in the fall.

Clarissa

Thanks for the fast response! I guess next time I do PUB, I will try to stick to it as-is, lighten up the weights as necessary for a true endurance workout.

Down the road, I may try it as a strength workout as some of the others recommended for variety. I just don't like how I'm doing it now, mixing up the strength and endurance. I'd rather to it one way or the other.

I too like to improvise as needed, sub or add different exercises. I would especially like to add more back exercise to PUB. I like pullovers, but would prefer to do more to target the back.

Thanks again!
Melissa

I think PUB, for me anyway, is pure strength. I had DOMs for my biceps for two days after. (I actually felt the next day like my muscles were huge. :) )

But I think PLB is more endurance for me. It actually goes so fast that I wish I had more time to stretch, especially for my back during the dead lifts. Sweat drips off my head doing PLB, and I find I'm rushing to keep up with Cathe and crew and get my barbell loaded. For me, PLB is pure endurance.

I'm actually thinking of doing Gym Style Legs next time I want a strength pair to PUB, rather than PLB.

Have a great day,
Dawn

I consider it a bit of a hybrid. I go as heavy as I can(which means I start out heavier than Cathe and crew) and if needed I take a few extra rests. The heaviest I squat at home is a 60lb. BB (55lb. for PLB) so that's "strength" training for me, but I definitely have workouts where I can't go above 35 or 40 pounds and I consider that more endurance based for me.
Angela:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.