Pushups

kenja

Cathlete
Is it just me? I cannot do more than 3 pushups off my toes!!!!
Now that I am not a young chook anymore, I despair of ever being able to do them properly!
STS disc 1 (chest, shoulders. biceps} - you've got to be kidding. I feel so useless!!!
Jane:(

Do not dispair..:D
They take time...If you keep at it you will succeed.

Ok now all you have to do is keep at it. When i was starting i would just do them whenever i had some time..so do your 3 whenever you can. also you can do them on your kitchen counters (easier) and work your way lower to the ground.

BTW meso 1 is killer even for those of us who can do toe push-ups...It is a humbling month:eek:

stephanie
ps: you can do it:D

I also had a hard time with push-ups about 1 year ago, only being able to do a few at a time off my toes (I am the classic pear shape with a weak upper body). Now I can do about 25-30 off my toes (not great but I will take it!), only because I have been working my upper body more and try to incorporate push-ups whenever I can. A few more at a time matter, even if you can only do 1 or 2 more it makes a difference. I hate to bring up other trainers on this website (I do Cathe 90%) but Jari Love's vids really helped me with that. In her older video's, she has a whole chapter dedicated to push-ups; slow count, fast, partial, full. I found that to be helpful :).

For years I could only do them on my knees. Then I tried doing Cathe's version which helps build up strength to do it on your toes - start on toes, go down, drop to knees, push up, repeat so many times then reverse. I would do this no matter what push up the DVD said to do. Now I can do about 12 at a time on my toes before dropping to my knees. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do ALL push up routines on my toes, but U an happy I can do the first 12 or so for now!

Sent from my iPod touch using CatheForum

One thing that helped me is to do as many as I could on my toes, drop to knees for a few and then do more on toes. I keep alternating them that way and it has definitely helped me get stronger. Also gaining strength in core, arms and back helps too

One thing that helped me is to do as many as I could on my toes, drop to knees for a few and then do more on toes. I keep alternating them that way and it has definitely helped me get stronger. Also gaining strength in core, arms and back helps too

For me, the biggest thing that enabled me to do push ups from my toes was gaining good core and back strength. It isn't so much arm/shoulder strength for me.

Practice makes perfect for me. the more I do em the better I get at em! When I start slacking off of doing them, I lose my ability quickly....

I have to agree with everyone here. The more I do, the better I get at it. I do as many as I can on my toes then drop to my knees. Also building core strength is important. When I 1st started with Cathe, I could only do a few but now I can do 20 on my toes & I've done as many as 30 on a good day. So just keep at it & try to do a few more each time you do push ups; eventually you will be able to do more. But Stephanie is right Meso 1 is a killer.

Kenja, THIS YEAR the first time I could do moving planks so early in the season. It took me YEARS but I pushed myself. Tonight, I did them with Cardio Supersets. Don't give up and think positive.

I completely understand this. Earlier this year (before my serious shoulder/arm injury) I was getting discouraged with my low rate of full push-ups. I came across this little book in the library, was faithful to follow it, and was very happy with the results.

http://www.amazon.com/Weeks-100-Pus...7070/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322669546&sr=8-1

Unfortunately, a serious fall off my bike earlier this summer has put a stop to this, so I am still working on rehab. But hopefully, sometime next year, I will get back to it.

Don't get discouraged. That's my .02.

I also agree with what others said: the more you do the better you'll get at it. I like that advice so much I'm currently using it myself!! :D

I used to be able to do all 72 pushups in GS chest/tris. I could do them all on my toes. Just took a little bit longer of a break than Cathe and the crew did. ((sigh)) I'd love to be back there. Screw pant size. Screw what the scale says. I miss those push-up bragging rights! ;)

So I'm on back on the push-up wagon myself .... there's room for more! Join me! You get out of it what you put into it .... a wise woman once said that.

Cathe had a great push-up tip on Cathe TV:
She said to train with a weighted vest while doing modified push-ups and you'll gain strength and be able to move on to the toe kind....
I'm going to start doing this tonight!;)

I got the 100 pushup app for my phone. Have done 2 days worth. Yesterday I did 19 full pushups in small sets!!!!!
I am rapt! It can only get better, and all I can say is slow and steady does win the race!!!
:D Jane

Cathe had a great push-up tip on Cathe TV:
She said to train with a weighted vest while doing modified push-ups and you'll gain strength and be able to move on to the toe kind....
I'm going to start doing this tonight!;)

Nancy, thanks for sharing this tip! I will definitely have to try it this way!

Is it just me? I cannot do more than 3 pushups off my toes!!!!
Now that I am not a young chook anymore, I despair of ever being able to do them properly!
STS disc 1 (chest, shoulders. biceps} - you've got to be kidding. I feel so useless!!!
Jane:(

When I started, I couldn't do many. I take a few more seconds in between sets (like the drop sets in Gym Style Chest) I can now do all 72 on my toes. Try taking a longer break...worked for me. For pull ups, i could only do 1 for the longest time. Every night after I brush my teeth I do a pull up...now I am up to 4! Just stick with it... it will come. Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.