Pushup challenge!

I'm in!

I saw this over in the DVD thread, I think it was Meowracer who pointed it out. I printed it out and was going to start today, but I ended up with a sore back yesterday (I think it was shoes I wore yesterday) and still sore this morning. So I will probably start on Saturday. 100 pushups, here I come!!

Nan

I did mention this on another thread - about the Gym Styles DVD pushups. But, to give credit where credit is due, Miss Lee (Michele) told me about it! :D So, we owe a big thank you to her b/c it is an awesome challenge.

I read about it at Lainiefig's blog. DH and I both did the initial test (35 for me, 21 for him), but we haven't gotten started on the plan yet.

Anybody interested in starting a check in thread?

I figured I'd do the test over the weekend & then start the program on Monday. If no one starts a thread by then, I'll do it!

Okay, what's the push-up challenge? I know I was never able to do "real" push-ups very well before. At the beginning of the summer, I could do 12 good ones. I started to add one a day, and now I'm doing the Gym Style push-up series every night. From 12 go 72 is a homerun for me. Does the challenge get you up to 100?

lynda

Hi Lynda,

Yes the challenge is designed to get you to 100, here is the link with the whole plan. I printed out the pdf so I could check off what I've done and note my max reps.

And yes, I actually just met meowracer over on that other board today!

http://www.hundredpushups.com/

Is anyone doing this and still trying to work around a current rotation?? I'd love to do this, but I want to stick with my rotation as well...............and not burn out. Any ideas?

I heard about the challenge on another fitness forum and started it about a month ago. When I took the initial test I could only do 2 push ups on my toes. I'm up to 46 now! :D

I was inspired by Cathe's PERFECT push ups in the STS clips to do this challenge. I've been doing them on my knees for years and that strategy has never prepared me for doing them on my toes. Right now I'm ONLY doing them on my toes and I refuse to drop to my knees. ;)

I actually went back to week one and restarted the challenge using the levels in the second column instead of the first (from what I understand, even though the program is laid out over a 6 week period, it's designed so that you can repeat a week anytime you feel you're not ready to progress).

I'm doing the push ups on my cardio days first thing in the morning. That seems to work well for me, but I know others who prefer to do them on their strength training days.

Last edited:
OMG!!! I am SOOOOOOO doing this! I may be sick, but chest is my favorite body part (besides legs, of course) to work hard. I'm currently doing FitnessFreak's Sept Leg Blast rotation and will most likely do this push up thing M, W, F. I'll do the initial test tomorrow morning (although I just worked UB this morning, that shouldn't be too much of a problem, right?)

OHHHHHHH!!! I am so excited!

ANYWAY.....anybody doing a checkin???

Gayle

Love this challenge!

Hi all,

I found out about this push up challenge on the Cathe thread on the weight watchers site. Seems like something that would be fun. I started on Wednesday.

http://www.hundredpushups.com/

Huge, big giant thumbs up!!!!!!

I've been a fan of push-ups for a long time, and wish more people would accept what they can do. Push-ups will do for you what everyone wishes a "tank top" rotation would do, and in a lot less time. I'm curious to see whether those who really do the challenge will see a distinct difference in the way their whole upper bodies shape up. Push-ups & chin-ups - that's really all you need to do. Forget weights!

The premise is absolutely spot on - the more you do, the more you can do - it's as simple as that. Also, I've found that using the Perfect Push Up handles help, too.

Where shall we have our checkin thread? Here or in the Checkins forum?
I did my test last nite. I'm ready to roll on Monday.

HA! Lynee-when I first read your post, I read it as "our CHICKEN thread". lol CHECK IN! Not chicken!

I suggest the check-in thread.

Gayle

I heard about the challenge on another fitness forum and started it about a month ago. When I took the initial test I could only do 2 push ups on my toes. I'm up to 46 now! :D

I was inspired by Cathe's PERFECT push ups in the STS clips to do this challenge. I've been doing them on my knees for years and that strategy has never prepared me for doing them on my toes. Right now I'm ONLY doing them on my toes and I refuse to drop to my knees. ;)

I actually went back to week one and restarted the challenge using the levels in the second column instead of the first (from what I understand, even though the program is laid out over a 6 week period, it's designed so that you can repeat a week anytime you feel you're not ready to progress).

I'm doing the push ups on my cardio days first thing in the morning. That seems to work well for me, but I know others who prefer to do them on their strength training days.

WAY TO GO GIRL!!! 46? Wow - amazing. YOU.ARE.AWESOME! I am where you began. After doing the challenge one week, I wasn't ready to proceed so am repeating. I got up to 4 I think? I waited to start until I was sure I could stick with it, timewise - catching up from vacation and school starting. It really doesn't take long - just wanted to read and understand it all mostly. I can do ok chest work, but push ups just get me.

I am all in for a check-in :D

Is anyone doing this and still trying to work around a current rotation?? I'd love to do this, but I want to stick with my rotation as well...............and not burn out. Any ideas?

I wondered the same thing. I want to continue with my strength training schedule of 2-3 times per week so how do you fit in the push-ups? Do they just take the place of the chest work you have scheduled?

JJ

WAY TO GO GIRL!!! 46? Wow - amazing. YOU.ARE.AWESOME! I am where you began. After doing the challenge one week, I wasn't ready to proceed so am repeating. I got up to 4 I think? I waited to start until I was sure I could stick with it, timewise - catching up from vacation and school starting. It really doesn't take long - just wanted to read and understand it all mostly. I can do ok chest work, but push ups just get me.

I am all in for a check-in :D

Thanks Shana!! I seem to be stuck at 46 but that's ok. I decided right from the outset that I wasn't competing with anyone but myself. My sole purpose in doing this is too improve my strength and performance. I'm 53 now and I see people younger than me who aren't as strong as I am, and I want to make sure that as I age, I continue to improve and maintain my functional fitness.

I completed week 2 this morning. I'll retest tomorrow and decide from there if I'm going to stay put or move on to week 3. For some reason that jump feels really big to me. :eek:

You stick with it! You'll be surprised how quickly you make progress. ;)

I'm in!!!

I have gone way downhill when it comes to push-ups! I used to be able to do all 72 on my toes from GS...not anymore! I think it's true, if you don't DO them, you won't be able to do them. Sooo, I just tested and was able to do only 13 with GOOD FORM ones on my toes. So, are we having a check-in?

15136.gif

I will go over to the Check-In forum & start a thread for this. Please don't look for it in the Chicken forum
290.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.